Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Big Cadillac Bear

18K views 47 replies 26 participants last post by  welp45 
#1 ·
I went to show a friend the post about that big bear killed in Cadillac but couldn't find it. Did I miss it somewhere or did it get removed?

#4 ·
The person who posted those pics never had "permission" from the involved parties in that hunt, so he pulled the post. Not that either party had a problem with him making the post. He just was being cautious. It is sad but in this day and age you have to guard some things and be careful what you say. Because when you have something good someone is always trying to take a piece of it. These guys have a ton of years and hard work in their "hobby" and they don't want it spoiled or tainted. They have an incredible respect for the bears and bears are a big part of their life and they are just a little guarded. I don't know what they want said and and not said about that hunt, so I'm not going to say anything right now, BUT I will say. If you ever have the chance to hunt bear in the baldwin unit, get ahold of Rob Nixon or Wade Nixon. They know more about bears than most bears know about bears. This tag is just too hard to come by not to go with these guys. They are incredible bear hunters and they are better people than they are bear hunters.

I tryed the DIY and worked 4 bait sites in the baldwin unit all preseason and was not having any luck (lack of experience,messed up by bear dogs,lack of competition amongst bears, etc..). Rob sqeezed me in toward the end of the season and put me into position for an opportunity of a lifetime. My bear was about 25 pounds lite of the bruiser that was posted earlier, and wore a read ear tag.

The hunter who killed the bear posted is Jake Lueder of grand rapids. It could not of happened to a better more appreciative guy.

#5 ·
The person who posted those pics never had "permission" from the involved parties in that hunt, so he pulled the post. Not that either party had a problem with him making the post. He just was being cautious. It is sad but in this day and age you have to guard some things and be careful what you say. Because when you have something good someone is always trying to take a piece of it. These guys have a ton of years and hard work in their "hobby" and they don't want it spoiled or tainted. They have an incredible respect for the bears and bears are a big part of their life and they are just a little guarded. I don't know what they want said and and not said about that hunt, so I'm not going to say anything right now, BUT I will say. If you ever have the chance to hunt bear in the baldwin unit, get ahold of Rob Nixon or Wade Nixon. They know more about bears than most bears know about bears. This tag is just too hard to come by not to go with these guys. They are incredible bear hunters and they are better people than they are bear hunters.

I tryed the DIY and worked 4 bait sites in the baldwin unit all preseason and was not having any luck (lack of experience,messed up by bear dogs,lack of competition amongst bears, etc..). Rob sqeezed me in toward the end of the season and put me into position for an opportunity of a lifetime. My bear was about 25 pounds lite of the bruiser that was posted earlier, and wore a read ear tag.

The hunter who killed the bear posted is Jake Lueder of grand rapids. It could not of happened to a better more appreciative guy.
How big was your bear? Or the bear in this post?

#6 ·

They are pretty much the legends of bear hunting around these parts. I "heard" the first bear was 571 and the second bear I assume your was 549 Correct????

#7 · (Edited)
They are good guys.. I was going to go with Wade this year as I believe he drew his tag but with other obligations bear hunting in Canada and a wife that would kick my Ars if I took more time off I figured I had better wait til next year.. I have talked with them several times and will be going with them next year for certain.. He was telling me about a bear and I am curious if this was it.. I will have to give him a call and chat but I will not bring anything up.. Just ask how the season is went!

Tommy - I think you fell and bumped your head... A bad day in the marsh is better than a good day in the tree stand!!! LOL!!!

#8 ·
Yes those weights are correct. That is live weight NOT DRESSED. Mine sported a red ear tag not read ear tag (michigan state educated- what do you expect for 50-60 grand) We are working on getting info on its age etc.. From what I understand it has to be over 12 years of age even if it was tagged as a cub. The bear of a lifetime. Now, for a good taxi ?

#10 ·
OK.......I originally made the post on the night that the first bear was taken. Rob & Wade are friends of mine, and after some thought I decided to request that the post be pulled until all parties involved were ready to talk about this bear. Jake passed up on a dandy boar to wait out the big boy, and it paid off.....big time! I talked to those involved tonight, and I've been told to re-post the photos........so I will. Welp, I shook your hand last night, but I'm sure with all of the people around.....you wouldn't remember. I'll let you tell your story & post your pics if you choose. All I have to say, is you were VERY lucky to get a chance to hunt with Rob & Wade......I've never met two more dedicated people who truley love the sport of bear hunting as well as the animals they pursue. Congratulations!

Here's Jake's Bear............

Attachments

#16 ·
Possibly. The bear has a huge unmistakeable split in his upper lip just right of his nose. His right canine is broke in half and lower tooth damaged and his upper lip is split wide and high. The wound (elk,horse,cow kick or hit by car) is older and healed. I hope the taxi can mount it as is, it is awesome character to this old bruin.
Not to detract from all of Robs hard work, but one of the best parts of this is that I harvested this bear with an old sporterized mauser that belonged to a man that would put anyone of us to shame. A veteran, avid outdoorsman and the best man I've ever known, George Borgeson. I believe he bought the german action back from the war or bought it shortly after and made it into a sporterized 30-06. I know he had it rebarreled and made the stock himself (hand cut, sanded and finished). I met George late in his life and we just clicked. An unspoken bond.
He was a man that was not about worldly possesions, but greatly appreciated what he had. A man that worked harder at 70 than people do now at 25. A man devoted to God, family and country. A man we all should strive to be. Well, George may be gone from this earth but we still get to spend some time together. He was there wednesday at 6:40 p.m. when old red tag stepped out.

#17 ·
Hey target-pacic,

Thanks. Things were kind of crazy that night. I shook a lot of hands of people congratulating me. Thanks! But as you all know the credit for this bear needs to go to Rob Nixon. I was the guy with the right tag at the right place at the right time. Like I said earlier, I busted my butt over in Bear Lake area trying to "do it yourself" and I failed. Rob was a late plan B that just worked out. Rob Nixon should be booked years in advanced and should charge triple for what he does, there is no way this should of happened for me. And I am not just saying that because I shot that bear.
He told me that afternoon he "was giving me a gift" by letting me hunt this stand. To tell you the truith my hunt was made prior to red tag coming out. What an incredible experience.
Thanks to all of Robs buddies who came in to help pull that bear out. I hope to buy you guys/girls a beverage of choice next year.

target-panic,if you have any pics of my bear feel free to post. I not to smart wif fangle computer picture stuff.

#19 ·
target-panic,if you have any pics of my bear feel free to post. I not to smart wif fangle computer picture stuff.
OK Welp........Here you go! I had camera issues last night, so only a few turned out........but here's what I have.

Attachments

#25 ·
For those of you out there that balk at the price of a guided bear hunt..........All I have to say is....."Try it yourself sometime"!

Yup, from what I have heard there price is very low for the quality of hunt and success that they bring. I have baited many times and it is alot of work and I would gladly pay their nominal fee.

#26 ·
I hope Rob & Wade get a long & well deserved NAP!!!! They have been busting their arses for the last month........often staying up all night during the season.

For those of you out there that balk at the price of a guided bear hunt..........All I have to say is....."Try it yourself sometime"!
I'd take the $'s they put in their fuel tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.