Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

What's The Biggest Sheephead You've Caught?

6K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  SPITFIRE 
#1 ·
Normally I don't care, nor would I ask but my buddy caught one yesterday that I couldn't believe. We were dragging tubes for smallies and he hooked into this thing,,, he kinda knew it was a sheephead right off the bat. I asked if he wanted me to get the net,, he said, ya,, just in case it was a smallie or walleye. Anyway,, I net this thing and bring it in the boat and we both BUST OUT laughing. We had to put the scale on it,,,,,,, 14.6lbs:SHOCKED:. I'm gonna see if he can send me the pic's and post 'em. Has anyone caught one that size before???

#2 ·
i've caught a couple in the 12s and a couple not put on a scale that were 12 or more (i'd bet on more, the ones up in port huron get huge). a 14lber is a pig though. bet that was fun at the very least. was the color of it more of a reddish gold? all the bigger ones i've caught seem to be more reddish as they get bigger.

#6 ·
I had a 13lber, caught on the Middle channel.......Awsome fight....And people actually spend good money to go to the Flats of Florida for Drum fishing!!!!!:coco:

Mushy

#9 ·

How 'bout this 19 lb 8 oz one my daughter Kristi caught 3 years ago? (on 6 lb test line while perch fishing in Erie)

Jim
Gosh, I thought mine was a world record.....Still, her fish is off the State record by 6 lbs.:yikes: Nice fish!!!!!!

Mushy

#17 ·
Twenty years ago when my brother and i were kids, he caught a sheepie while casting a hot n tot on a river off of the Georgian bay in Ontario. Took him forever, and we had a 25 lb spring scale on the boat. It broke the scale. Springs and hooks went flying everywhere. Have no idea how big it was, but would guess 20 lbs or more...

#18 ·
I also don't know what mine wieghed but last year out in front of stoney point with bottom bouncer drifting i got one that was 28 inches. To the guys daughter who caught that 19+ pound behemoth that is one hell of a job getting that thing landed with 6 pound test. There are some really big fish in erie I have had my 14 pound test line broken imediately don't know what it was but I would like to think it is a monster eye.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.