Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting > Whitetail Deer Habitat
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Whitetail Deer Habitat Managing habitat for the benefit of deer.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Photos: 59Users Photo Gallery
Default Govt Shutdown And CRP Impact

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
October is typically the month in which CRP annual rental payments get made to landowners who have invested in soil conservation, healthy ecosystems, and wildlife habitat.

I noted that my local USDA office is closed right now, with a voicemail recording citing the shutdown.

Once again, America's farmers are among the first to get thrown under the bus for the failure of government to live within its means. I'm betting that local township treasurers will be unimpressed if hardships caused by the USDA's payment delinquency cause the payment of winter tax bills to be delayed.

Last edited by farmlegend; 10-02-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Guide

Shouldn't be no subsidies anyways....remember the government is broke! Everyone complains about it but yet there the ones with there hands out. Put it back into crops. You will make more anyways. Oh wait you did it for the deer habitat. From your post I would say financially your doing just fine without the handout no matter how you word it. Not trying to start an argument JMO

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Remove this ad...  
Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Jeez, agbuckhunter, are you this coldhearted to guys that have been laid off from their jobs? Rental income is no different to its recipient than is a paycheck.

Last edited by farmlegend; 10-02-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Guide

No not cold hearted at all. Just sick of hearing about the poor farmers. All the farmers I know are millionaires yet they complain every time the govt talks about cutting subsidies. I'm sorry If your making $$$ then there should not be any handouts. It's not the 80's and farmers are thriving. It's not just farmers either. My point was don't complain about the government being broke when your dipping into there pockets. Just saying.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 58Users Photo Gallery

To add to the "welfare for deer hunters" (CRP) topic, I luckily nudged my local office late last Thursday to see if my home property was cleared to go and I got a phone call Friday am in a panic how she had to get all of the paper work done by Monday before the government shut down on Tuesday...

I've been waiting on getting this approved for nearly two years... It has been held up in cultural resources because they thought there may be some Indian bones or artifacts on the property. What a joke...

None the less, I got everything signed and approved on Friday and my field will get planted with WSG, spruce for windbreaks and tag alders for cover around my soon to be restored wetlands.

When the field is finished, I should have 7 acres of restored wetlands scattered throughout my 36 acre field. With wind breaks full of spruce screening all of my neighbors and the WSG surrounding the scatted thickets of Tags, it should work well as broken cover in a very cover starved area.
QDMA Life Member
Old 10-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Michigan Sportsman
Rank Type

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntmaster143 View Post
To add to the "welfare for deer hunters" (CRP) topic, I luckily nudged my local office late last Thursday to see if my home property was cleared to go and I got a phone call Friday am in a panic how she had to get all of the paper work done by Monday before the government shut down on Tuesday...

I've been waiting on getting this approved for nearly two years... It has been held up in cultural resources because they thought there may be some Indian bones or artifacts on the property. What a joke...

None the less, I got everything signed and approved on Friday and my field will get planted with WSG, spruce for windbreaks and tag alders for cover around my soon to be restored wetlands.

When the field is finished, I should have 7 acres of restored wetlands scattered throughout my 36 acre field. With wind breaks full of spruce screening all of my neighbors and the WSG surrounding the scatted thickets of Tags, it should work well as broken cover in a very cover starved area.
Whew! Good going Scott. Your commitment to conservation is appreciated.

Monroe County ought to produce some majorly premium rental rates.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:32 PM
The Waz-Man Cometh
Rank Type

Photos: 11Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbuckhunter View Post
No not cold hearted at all. Just sick of hearing about the poor farmers. All the farmers I know are millionaires yet they complain every time the govt talks about cutting subsidies. I'm sorry If your making $$$ then there should not be any handouts. It's not the 80's and farmers are thriving. It's not just farmers either. My point was don't complain about the government being broke when your dipping into there pockets. Just saying.

You should really reconsider your stance on this topic...the CRP program is extremely important in that it allows for habitat to be restored which is essential in managing various species of wildlife...deer, turkey, and pheasants are among the many who benefit from this program...it's not all about getting paid just to set aside some land! I watched the Boone and Crockett tv show tonight and they had a great program explaining the many benefits of the Farm Bill, CRP, WHIP, etc...if you take away these programs and farmers do nothing but plant row crops from fence line to fence line, wildlife will undoubtedly suffer immensely...so much so that turkey numbers would probably decrease and you could pretty much forget about having a wild population of pheasants in this state!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Tornado Jim
Rank Type

Photos: 26Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbuckhunter View Post

Do you seriously think that farmers make more income from CRP ground than they could from farming? CRP is about preventing erosion and restoring habitat, not about subsidizing farmers.

Govt Shutdown And CRP Impact - Whitetail Deer Habitat

www.extremedeerhabitat.com
Jim Brauker, Ph.D.
Certified QDMA Property Inspector
DrJim@extremedeerhabitat.com
Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Guide

Farmers feed america it is that simple. They do make good money but also have lots of days where they gotta work around the clock. A majority of farmers now were given the land by their fathers etc so without subsidy money it would break them trying to buy tillable land these days. I know people getting 150 bucks per acre for crp nwsg fields right now.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmlegend View Post
Monroe County ought to produce some majorly premium rental rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker View Post
I know people getting 150 bucks per acre for crp nwsg fields right now.
Well the only good thing that came from my two year delay is my rental rate took a $50/acre jump... I'm pushing $200/acre, but I may never be able to farm my field again (potential lost future income) because of the wetland restorations going on, so one should get a premium for that.
QDMA Life Member
Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

How does someone get information regarding CRP programs?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillcommander View Post
How does someone get information regarding CRP programs?
Look up your local (county) soil conservation, Farm service agency (fsa) or natural resources conservation service (NRCS) office. They may all be in the same location. Like Dan mentioned above, they may not be open right now though...

If you google it there is a ton of info also.
QDMA Life Member
Old 10-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Look up your local (county) soil conservation, Farm service agency (fsa) or natural resources conservation service (NRCS) office. They may all be in the same location. Like Dan mentioned above, they may not be open right now though...

Thanks...will do.

My neighbor is having some pond work done in exchange for some warm season grasses. Something to consider!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Is this a private deal? I would be interested in something like this regarding the pond/grass.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Tornado Jim
Rank Type

Photos: 26Users Photo Gallery

Quote:

US Fish and Game may provide funds for restoration of wetlands as well.

Govt Shutdown And CRP Impact - Whitetail Deer Habitat

www.extremedeerhabitat.com
Jim Brauker, Ph.D.
Certified QDMA Property Inspector
DrJim@extremedeerhabitat.com