Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting > Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debate
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debate This forum is where debate over current and future deer hunting rules and regulations belong.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Kosh is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 374
Default Ag Policy Weekly Michigan Farm Bureau

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
More information from Michigan Farm Bureau regarding their position on the lp-dmi.

http://mfb.informz.net/admin31/conte...820&mi=3347084


http://mfb.informz.net/mfb/data/imag...ly/apr-faq.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Patman75's Avatar
Patman75 Patman75 is online now
Charter Member
Rank Type

 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Macomb County
Posts: 2,802
Photos: 62Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
History with an antler point restriction (APR) pilot program in Leelanau county shows that a mandatory APR program does increase antler size, but also increases overall deer numbers.


Antler-less harvest controls the deer population.

Gotta love the misinformation.
__________________
Ag Policy Weekly   Michigan Farm Bureau - Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debate

Ag Policy Weekly   Michigan Farm Bureau - Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debate
Reply With Quote
Remove this ad...  
  #3  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:01 AM
hartman756's Avatar
hartman756 hartman756 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pellston
Posts: 1,260
Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Antler-less harvest controls the deer population.
Not according to the DNR


Quote:

Because more yearling deer survive the season, a population spike occurs the
following year. Autenrieth said that levels off once the harvest of older bucks
increases.

The DNR also considers making more doe tags available in those
areas to stabilize harvest levels and keep crop damage and car-deer accidents
down.
__________________
What are these voices that you hear
Are they too far or far to near
WHAT ARE THESE THINGS THAT ECHO FROM THE PAST
Who are these ghost you see at night
there in the shadows of your life
THEY ONLY LIVE BY THE LIGHT YOU CAST






Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:16 AM
bucksnbows's Avatar
bucksnbows bucksnbows is online now
Michigan Sportsman
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 11,320
Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartman756 View Post
Not according to the DNR
Lol. Really.....read your dnr quote.....the end part

Sent from my LG-P769 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
__________________
QDM works!!!!
-------------
QDMers are model citizens
R.I.P. Bish we will miss you
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Tracker83's Avatar
Tracker83 Tracker83 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,461
Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery
Default

The FB is clearly being fed lies and mis-information by the Concerned SportsmAn. Speaking of the Concerned SportsmAn, why has he stopped posting? Is it a coincidence that Kosh's first post was an article quoting Jim Sweeney, and it was posted a few days after Jim Sweeney stop posting here?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:35 AM
bucksnbows's Avatar
bucksnbows bucksnbows is online now
Michigan Sportsman
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 11,320
Photos: 5Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker83 View Post
The FB is clearly being fed lies and mis-information by the Concerned SportsmAn. Speaking of the Concerned SportsmAn, why has he stopped posting? Is it a coincidence that Kosh's first post was an article quoting Jim Sweeney, and it was posted a few days after Jim Sweeney stop posting here?
Why did he quit posting?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
__________________
QDM works!!!!
-------------
QDMers are model citizens
R.I.P. Bish we will miss you
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-24-2013, 11:53 AM
bioactive's Avatar
bioactive bioactive is offline
Tornado Jim
Rank Type

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Addison
Posts: 13,475
Photos: 26Users Photo Gallery
Default

The LPDMI strongly supports the maintenance of deer herds at levels well below both the physical and social carrying capacity of any region in our state. We strongly support a balanced management strategy that is good for both farmers and hunters.

A big risk to farmers right now is the downturn in the number of hunters across much of our state. Hunters are the main predators of deer. We strongly believe that high hunter satisfaction is a key factor, and that it is enhanced by APRs. High satisfaction keeps hunters in the woods and increases the likelihood that those hunters will participate in antlerless harvest.

We believe the goals of the LPDMI, and the outcomes from properly managed APR regulations combined with sufficient antlerless harvest, are in the best interest of hunters and that farmers will be better off under APRs than under traditional management, which focuses hunter attention on antlered buck harvest rather than antlerless harvest
__________________
www.extremedeerhabitat.com


Ag Policy Weekly   Michigan Farm Bureau - Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debate

www.extremedeerhabitat.com
Jim Brauker, Ph.D.
Certified QDMA Property Inspector
DrJim@extremedeerhabitat.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-24-2013, 12:13 PM
standsetter standsetter is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,936
Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbows View Post
Why did he quit posting?

Sent from my LG-P769 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Ask Steve.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-24-2013, 12:13 PM
swampbuck's Avatar
swampbuck swampbuck is offline
Michigan Sportsman
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Majinabeesh
Posts: 11,029
Photos: 22Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioactive View Post
The LPDMI strongly supports the maintenance of deer herds at levels well below both the physical and social carrying capacity of any region in our state. We strongly support a balanced management strategy that is good for both farmers and hunters.

A big risk to farmers right now is the downturn in the number of hunters across much of our state. Hunters are the main predators of deer. We strongly believe that high hunter satisfaction is a key factor, and that it is enhanced by APRs. High satisfaction keeps hunters in the woods and increases the likelihood that those hunters will participate in antlerless harvest.

We believe the goals of the LPDMI, and the outcomes from properly managed APR regulations combined with sufficient antlerless harvest, are in the best interest of hunters and that farmers will be better off under APRs than under traditional management, which focuses hunter attention on antlered buck harvest rather than antlerless harvest
That dont seem to be working in Leelanau co.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM
standsetter standsetter is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,936
Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioactive View Post
The LPDMI strongly supports the maintenance of deer herds at levels well below both the physical and social carrying capacity of any region in our state. We strongly support a balanced management strategy that is good for both farmers and hunters.

A big risk to farmers right now is the downturn in the number of hunters across much of our state. Hunters are the main predators of deer. We strongly believe that high hunter satisfaction is a key factor, and that it is enhanced by APRs. High satisfaction keeps hunters in the woods and increases the likelihood that those hunters will participate in antlerless harvest.

We believe the goals of the LPDMI, and the outcomes from properly managed APR regulations combined with sufficient antlerless harvest, are in the best interest of hunters and that farmers will be better off under APRs than under traditional management, which focuses hunter attention on antlered buck harvest rather than antlerless harvest
I hope you don't think you're going to get all that on the survey? Past practices suggest you might need pare that down a bit before it heads to printing.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 PM
bowdrie bowdrie is offline
Guide
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Traverse City
Posts: 260
Default Apparently you just don't understand population mgt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbuck View Post
That dont seem to be working in Leelanau co.
Swampy,

You must be just trying to stoke the fire because you know darn well population levels are controlled by the harvest of antler less deer. However you cast a blind eye at the fact antler less permits were significantly reduced in dmu045 shortly after APRs were initiated. For various reasons the Dnr neglected to increase these permits during a time where population levels increased due to higher recruitment levels over a period of three easy winters. You will likely see population levels reduced to a more manageable level this year due to the issuance of some 1400 more permits this season.

If you want to be taken serious then please portray the issue in a factual nature.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 PM
standsetter standsetter is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,936
Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdrie View Post
Swampy,

You must be just trying to stoke the fire because you know darn well population levels are controlled by the harvest of antler less deer. However you cast a blind eye at the fact antler less permits were significantly reduced in dmu045 shortly after APRs were initiated. For various reasons the Dnr neglected to increase these permits during a time where population levels increased due to higher recruitment levels over a period of three easy winters. You will likely see population levels reduced to a more manageable level this year due to the issuance of some 1400 more permits this season.

If you want to be taken serious then please portray the issue in a factual nature.
What are the "various reasons" alluded to?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 PM
bioactive's Avatar
bioactive bioactive is offline
Tornado Jim
Rank Type

 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Addison
Posts: 13,475
Photos: 26Users Photo Gallery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbuck View Post
That dont seem to be working in Leelanau co.
On the contrary. Even thought the DNR reduced the antlerless quota in Leelanau County from 1000-1250 in the two years before APRs down to 2-400 over the last several years, antlerless harvest has remained remarkably stable.

This is because more hunters have taken up archery hunting, and more hunters have chosen to use their combo tag to harvest an antlerless deer in leelanau County.

Leelanau County serves as a stunning example of maintenance of antlerless harvest in the face of the decline in antlerless quotas.

This chart shows the amazing stability of antlerless harvest (blue) even in the face of substantial reduction in quotas (red). During the last 3 years, the harvest has been double the quota. The two highest years since 2001 have occurred in the last 3 years. Why? Antlerless harvest by archery hunters has gone up 45% whereas harvest by firearms hunters has fallen by 55% due to low availability of antlerless tags.

Ag Policy Weekly   Michigan Farm Bureau - Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debate
__________________
www.extremedeerhabitat.com


Ag Policy Weekly   Michigan Farm Bureau - Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debate

www.extremedeerhabitat.com
Jim Brauker, Ph.D.
Certified QDMA Property Inspector
DrJim@extremedeerhabitat.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-24-2013, 12:46 PM
feedinggrounds's Avatar
feedinggrounds feedinggrounds is offline
Guide
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Skidway lake
Posts: 717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioactive View Post
The LPDMI strongly supports the maintenance of deer herds at levels well below both the physical and social carrying capacity of any region in our state. We strongly support a balanced management strategy that is good for both farmers and hunters.

A big risk to farmers right now is the downturn in the number of hunters across much of our state. Hunters are the main predators of deer. We strongly believe that high hunter satisfaction is a key factor, and that it is enhanced by APRs. High satisfaction keeps hunters in the woods and increases the likelihood that those hunters will participate in antlerless harvest.

We believe the goals of the LPDMI, and the outcomes from properly managed APR regulations combined with sufficient antlerless harvest, are in the best interest of hunters and that farmers will be better off under APRs than under traditional management, which focuses hunter attention on antlered buck harvest rather than antlerless harvest
So getting 25% 50% or whatever the % of hunters all bent out of shape helps how? The MDNR cannot afford any more decrease in hunter #'s This ain't a magic bullet these MAPR's
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM
feedinggrounds's Avatar
feedinggrounds feedinggrounds is offline
Guide
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Skidway lake
Posts: 717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioactive View Post
On the contrary. Even thought the DNR reduced the antlerless quota in Leelanau County from 1000-1250 in the two years before APRs down to 2-400 over the last several years, antlerless harvest has remained remarkably stable.

This is because more hunters have taken up archery hunting, and more hunters have chosen to use their combo tag to harvest an antlerless deer in leelanau County.

Leelanau County serves as a stunning example of maintenance of antlerless harvest in the face of the decline in antlerless quotas.

This chart shows the amazing stability of antlerless harvest (blue) even in the face of substantial reduction in quotas (red). During the last 3 years, the harvest has been double the quota. The two highest years since 2001 have occurred in the last 3 years. Why? Antlerless harvest by archery hunters has gone up 45% whereas harvest by firearms hunters has fallen by 55% due to low availability of antlerless tags.

Ag Policy Weekly   Michigan Farm Bureau - Deer Hunting Regulations, Proposals, and Law Debate
Crossbows!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2000-2015 Michigan-Sportsman.com flagship of the iGreatLakes.com network