Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting Posts about hunting the whitetail deer in MI with firearms, bows, etc.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:26 PM

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
No harm, no foul. I'm sure it happens all the time when guys are out turkey hunting in the spring.

Posted from my iPhone.
In reality, hunting and fishing are activities that due to their relatively secretive nature are, with honesty and integrity, highly self-regulated. Unfortunately, for any number of reasons, there are those in society who will not follow the rules.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:33 PM
The Waz-Man Cometh
Rank Type

Photos: 11Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead short View Post
No harm, no foul. I'm sure it happens all the time when guys are out turkey hunting in the spring.

Posted from my iPhone.
i honestly dont think that it should be a problem keeping antlers you find like that but i understand where the nightmare in controlling that arises too
Remove this ad...  
Old 10-20-2012, 07:36 PM

I know what you're saying.....

Posted from my iPhone.
In reality, hunting and fishing are activities that due to their relatively secretive nature are, with honesty and integrity, highly self-regulated. Unfortunately, for any number of reasons, there are those in society who will not follow the rules.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

i just listened to mike Averys outdoors in the first hr of the oct 13 show co Chad Forrester said that taking the horns off a rotten deer is just like picking up sheds they were talking about people getting them off the EHD deer

http://www.mikeaveryoutdoors.com/pod...er13-hour1.mp3
Old 10-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

this isnt a case of shed antlers or found dead deer. Also its not a case of crop damage permits. This is a case of an individual who shot an incredible amount of deer and turkeys using illegal methods. He will probably end up getting a slap on the wrist from the court system since he only had to pay $100 to get out of jail on over 100 counts of poaching.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 55Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waz_51 View Post
not entirely true...you can take them if the carcass has decayed to the point that they are detached from the body...you dont need a tag at this point
See,, this is what I'm getting at... At what point or date do antlers become "legal" to pick up and keep without tagging them? February 1st, because you'd assume they were sheds? How do you prove you didn't take them illegally, if an LEO searched your home?

Although we need more details with this particular case,, but it appears as if "technically",,,, it's never legal.

Look at the examples that L & O provided,, all perfectly plausible explanations for having all those antlers. Most likely not,, in this case, but still.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:19 PM
The Waz-Man Cometh
Rank Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
See,, this is what I'm getting at... At what point or date do antlers become "legal" to pick up and keep without tagging them? February 1st, because you'd assume they were sheds? How do you prove you didn't take them illegally, if an LEO searched your home?

Although we need more details with this particular case,, but it appears as if "technically",,,, it's never legal.

Look at the examples that L & O provided,, all perfectly plausible explanations for having all those antlers. Most likely not,, in this case, but still.
makes ya stop and think that we really are walking on egg shells when dealing with antlers!
Old 10-20-2012, 10:38 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waz_51 View Post
makes ya stop and think that we really are walking on egg shells when dealing with antlers!
Yup!
Old 10-20-2012, 11:34 PM

I think it's safe to say that most hunters should be able to tell the difference between a shed antler-one that was cast naturally, and a set of antlers cut off a dead deer.

(10) A person may possess antlers that have been shed by a deer, elk, or moose. “Shed” means to cast
off as part of a natural process.

I'll be getting in touch with Chad. These are not new rules.

Posted from my iPhone.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think it's safe to say that most hunters should be able to tell the difference between a shed antler-one that was cast naturally, and a set of antlers cut off a dead deer.

(10) A person may possess antlers that have been shed by a deer, elk, or moose. “Shed” means to cast

Posted from my iPhone.
i posted the link to the show its maybe 10 min in listen to it see if maybe i heard it wrong wasn't trying to start anything or get him in trouble
Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 AM

Nobody will be getting in any trouble. It just happens sometimes. Done it myself on radio here and had to make corrections the next broadcast.

At about 22 minutes he mentions picking up antlers from a dead deer as being a whole different beast, then says its the same. In order to possess a set of antlers from a deer that died if "unknown" causes (or EHD), one would have to get a permit, same as the guy did with that huge set of horns in an earlier post.

It would behoove a person to contact someone regarding a permit before they go out and cut them off if indeed they find a set worth keeping. That being said, I think most people are just going to cut them off and keep them.

Posted from my iPhone.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Michigan Sportsman

Quote:

Posted from my iPhone.
Absolutely, and I'm board with ya 100%. But what Waz and I are getting at, just to play devil's advocate is,,, you don't really have anyway of proving where you got any set of antlers you possess, unless you have a tag or DNR permit.

Say for instance I cut the antlers off a deer I didn't shoot and get caught,, and for some reason the LEO's get a bug up their butt and decide to search my house for other violations??? I have sets of antlers all over my house, garage, some mounts,,, how on earth would I be able to prove those weren't taken illegally?

Now,, I realize I'm going out on a limb here with this hypothetical scenario, but it's entirely possible. And I'm not asking for a "cut and dry" answer to the questions, because I realize all situations are different,,, I'm "just sayin' " .
Old 10-21-2012, 09:43 AM
The Waz-Man Cometh
Rank Type

Quote:
Absolutely, and I'm board with ya 100%. But what Waz and I are getting at, just to play devil's advocate is,,, you don't really have anyway of proving where you got any set of antlers you possess, unless you have a tag or DNR permit.

Say for instance I cut the antlers off a deer I didn't shoot and get caught,, and for some reason the LEO's get a bug up their butt and decide to search my house for other violations??? I have sets of antlers all over my house, garage, some mounts,,, how on earth would I be able to prove those weren't taken illegally?

Now,, I realize I'm going out on a limb here with this hypothetical scenario, but it's entirely possible. And I'm not asking for a "cut and dry" answer to the questions, because I realize all situations are different,,, I'm "just sayin' " .
especially when the law states that you dont have to have the tag with the antlers after the deer is butchered...
Old 10-21-2012, 09:59 AM
Michiganiac

Quote:

Well lets just say "Don't drop your soap in the shower".
Old 05-24-2013, 06:21 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 14Users Photo Gallery
Question

What ever happened with this guys court case?