Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting Posts about hunting the whitetail deer in MI with firearms, bows, etc.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Sportsman

Default Trap door hang on stand

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I am looking for a hang on treestand with an oversize platform and a trap door design to gain entry from directly underneath stand. I have some older guys that hunt our property and they are really comfortable with that design. I do have one that was bought a decade ago at a hunting show and is a custom stand but there is no brand name on it. The fellas always haggle over who gets in that one all the time. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have thought of taking stand to a fabricator and having them made as last resort but would prefer to purchase existing product. thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly wood View Post
I am looking for a hang on treestand with an oversize platform and a trap door design to gain entry from directly underneath stand. I have some older guys that hunt our property and they are really comfortable with that design. I do have one that was bought a decade ago at a hunting show and is a custom stand but there is no brand name on it. The fellas always haggle over who gets in that one all the time. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have thought of taking stand to a fabricator and having them made as last resort but would prefer to purchase existing product. thanks
Sounds like you might be referring to a brand that was called the "Easy Way Treestand." We have about a half dozen of them, but like you I haven't been able to find any in recent years. Apparently they went out of business.
Remove this ad...  
Old 09-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 9Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Sunrise View Post
"Easy Way Treestand." ...
I have two trapdoor stands and I think the name is "Right Way", maybe it is "easy-way". I still have the box at my cabin with address and phone #. Purchased about 6-7 years ago at the Woods-n-Water show. Company out of Bad Axe or somewhere near that town. Have not seen them since that year.
I don't see how you could make a better stand for a crossbow or gun hunter.
They are very heavy and had to use a pulley to get them into the tree. Leave them in the tree all year. Lengthen chain each fall and remove rachet straps and put them back on around Labor Day.
Ladderstands should be easy enough for most older hunters to get into and out of. I use a safety line on all of my ladderstands too, probably not needed, but I tie in when I leave the ground.

L & O

Warren Buffet

Member: CBM, PF, MUCC, MCF(Michigan Crossbow Federation)

Last edited by Liver and Onions; 09-05-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:57 PM

They shoulda named those stands, the 'treehouse'! Sounds cool, but seems like it could be more of a hassle too.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 3Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liver and Onions View Post
I have two trapdoor stands and I think the name is "Right Way", maybe it is "easy-way". I still have the box at my cabin with address and phone #. Purchased about 6-7 years ago at the Woods-n-Water show. Company out of Bad Axe or somewhere near that town. Have not seen them since that year.
I don't see how you could make a better stand for a crossbow or gun hunter.
They are very heavy and had to use a pulley to get them into the tree. Leave them in the tree all year. Lengthen chain each fall and remove rachet straps and put them back on around Labor Day.
Ladderstands should be easy enough for most older hunters to get into and out of. I use a safety line on all of my ladderstands too, probably not needed, but I tie in when I leave the ground.

L & O
Yep, that's the one I'm talking about. They were made by Braun-Woodke and sold as Easy Way tree stands. When they went out of business they sold the concept to StrongBuilt stands who now also have apparently went out of business.

On a few properties we used to hunt I liked the padlock feature on the trap door - made it awfully hard for someone else to hunt out of the stand, which is a problem we had for a while.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Sunrise View Post

On a few properties we used to hunt I liked the padlock feature on the trap door - made it awfully hard for someone else to hunt out of the stand, which is a problem we had for a while.
Yeah that padlock feature on the trapdoor does stop unwanted vistors. I learned the 1st year that a spare key needs to be hidden nearby to prevent an angry walk back to the cabin.
Nice memory on the name, that's it for sure.
As Slapchopkid said, it is like a little treehouse. With the shooting rails on and the camo curtain you are covered up to your armpits. A good height for resting your crossbow or rifle on.

L & O

Warren Buffet

Old 09-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Sportsman

thanks for the comebacks guys ! the show that stand was purchased at was the woods and water show but it is definately not real heavy. seems to me like it is all aluminum. Obviously, ladderstands are great for older hunters and we have 7 up already. Height is king and ladderstands just dont get up enough.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly wood View Post
...... Height is king and ladderstands just dont get up enough.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=826549

This a 22 footer. Most sell extra ladder pieces to take you up 3' more. Might need to add an extra brace for each extra section to feel safe.
Family Tradition ladderstands are double rung and don't need braces. Expensive, but you feel and are very safe.

L & O

Warren Buffet

Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Master Sportsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liver and Onions View Post
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=826549

This a 22 footer. Most sell extra ladder pieces to take you up 3' more. Might need to add an extra brace for each extra section to feel safe.
Family Tradition ladderstands are double rung and don't need braces. Expensive, but you feel and are very safe.

L & O
I have 2 of those and they are the most uncomfortable stand I have ever sat in. They also creek like crazy. The extra 2 feet is nice but I love my 20' biggame ladder stands. I think I am running 12 of those now without a single issue....unless I leave the seat out for the squirrels to chew on