Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Michigan Whitetail Deer Hunting > Whitetail Deer Habitat
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Whitetail Deer Habitat Managing habitat for the benefit of deer.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM
Guide

Default Any Advice on Planting Hazelnuts?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I ordered some hazelnut shrubs and they should be shipped to me within the next week or so....have any of you planted hazelnuts? And, if so, do you have any specific advice or tips on growing? Also, do the deer and other wildlife like um?
Thanks for your help and any information!!
Old 04-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Guide

don't plant 'em near your drainfield (if you have one) also, if you want nuts, you'll need more than on variety. If you prune the side shoots, you will end up with a tree (if that is what you are looking for). The deer never seemed to be interested, but the squirrels will be more than happy to relieve you of any surplus.
Remove this ad...  
Old 04-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Guide

Planted a bunch this weekend. Depends on what you want them to do. You can grow them as a hedge, or you can grow them as shrubs with wider spacing. They should never planted more than 8' - 12' apart as they need the wind for proper pollination. Plants planted on a 3' - 5' spacing will form a dense hedge. They like a sandy loam with a ph of 6.5 - 7.0.

I do not know if the deer will eat them as this is our first time planting.

Good Luck!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 29Users Photo Gallery

Our property is in a high deer density area. The hazelnuts that we caged are about double the size of the non-caged ones last time I looked.

I'm heading up this weekend to do some plantings so I'll see if that is still the case.

-Homer Simpson
Old 04-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Guide

Thanks for the info guys! I have a shipment coming in the next few days, I ordered them from Morse Nusery. I will plant them as a hedge. I also enjoy eating them raw, so if the deer don't like um, I know I will. Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:02 AM
Michiganiac

" also enjoy eating them raw, so if the deer don't like um, I know I will."

Oh, you would if you could. But there's a problem..........squirrels.

The window of opportunity to gather the nuts is very very narrow (at least it is in my neck of the woods).

It's sort of like growing sweet corn amongst a high racoon population. Just when the corn is almost ripe for your taste.....that is when coons find it the most appealing.

So substitue squirrels for coons and hazlenuts for corn.

You get the picture.

You may have one day......maybe even two to gather a few. Then they will be gone for another season. Still, they are fun to grow. And it's sorta fun to try to outwit the squirrels. You certainly could make a worse choice than hazlenuts.

'In nature’s infinite book of secrecy…….. A little I can read.' W.Shakespeare
Old 04-19-2012, 08:16 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfax1 View Post
" also enjoy eating them raw, so if the deer don't like um, I know I will."

Oh, you would if you could. But there's a problem..........squirrels.

The window of opportunity to gather the nuts is very very narrow (at least it is in my neck of the woods).

It's sort of like growing sweet corn amongst a high racoon population. Just when the corn is almost ripe for your taste.....that is when coons find it the most appealing.

So substitue squirrels for coons and hazlenuts for corn.

You get the picture.

You may have one day......maybe even two to gather a few. Then they will be gone for another season. Still, they are fun to grow. And it's sorta fun to try to outwit the squirrels. You certainly could make a worse choice than hazlenuts.
So, what you're telling me is; this is where I should set up my early season squirrel blind?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehopper View Post
don't plant 'em near your drainfield (if you have one) also, if you want nuts, you'll need more than on variety. If you prune the side shoots, you will end up with a tree (if that is what you are looking for). The deer never seemed to be interested, but the squirrels will be more than happy to relieve you of any surplus.
Tree you say not to plant near a drainfield....why is this, just curious, is it because they have a deep root system? Also, if I want nuts you state that I will need more than a variety....what are you saying?
Just got them planted yesterday...we will see what happens.
Also, are they fast growers? Thanks..take care.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 29Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsmorgantown View Post
why is this, just curious, is it because they have a deep root system?
Yes, they will develop a deep taproot once established

Quote:
Also, if I want nuts you state that I will need more than a variety....what are you saying?
Hazelnuts are dioecious, meaning some plants are female, and some are male. You'll need to plant multiple shrubs for pollination to occur.

Quote:
Also, are they fast growers? Thanks..take care.
I'd say that they're fairly fast growers if you take the proper steps to protect them. They are also easy to establish and pretty resilient to browse damage. I have some that I planted several years ago (uncaged) that get browsed to the ground every year by rabbits and deer and they put up more shoots each year - in fact, I don't think I've ever had one die and I've planted them over several years. These plants that developed multiple shoots are going to get caged this year .

-Homer Simpson
Old 05-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Guide

Radar, thanks for filling me in on the questions I had. Got um planted last week and they are all looking good. Planted eight plants in a hedge. Thanks again for everyones input!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Guide

Photos: 15Users Photo Gallery

"Hazelnuts are dioecious, meaning some plants are female, and some are male. You'll need to plant multiple shrubs for pollination to occur."

Actually hazels (Corylus spp) are monoecious meaning they have both male and female flowers on the same plant (though not at the same location)and the female flowers are hard to see. They do need cross pollination by a different variety just like e.g. apples and hence you will need multiple plants for pollination. If you're buying seedlings you'll have the multiple varieties. The named varieties are produced from the roots of the parent and thus are genetically identical to each other. If you order the named varieties you'll need a second variety or some seedlings.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direwolfe View Post
"Hazelnuts are dioecious, meaning some plants are female, and some are male. You'll need to plant multiple shrubs for pollination to occur."

Actually hazels (Corylus spp) are monoecious meaning they have both male and female flowers on the same plant (though not at the same location)and the female flowers are hard to see. They do need cross pollination by a different variety just like e.g. apples and hence you will need multiple plants for pollination. If you're buying seedlings you'll have the multiple varieties. The named varieties are produced from the roots of the parent and thus are genetically identical to each other. If you order the named varieties you'll need a second variety or some seedlings.
So, I ordered eight plants(seedlings) from Morse Nursery and I planted all of them in a hedge style planting approx. 3ft. apart....is this sufficient for pollination or are you saying I need another pollinator?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Guide

Photos: 15Users Photo Gallery

With seedlings you should be good on pollination.