michigan fishing

Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Michigan Hunting > Firearms
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Firearms Discussion of all firearm weapons, including Concealed Carry Weapons, Muzzleoaders, Rifles, Shotguns, Reloading, Target Shooting, Black power tech. No sales please.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 26Users Photo Gallery
Default Sighting in ?

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
Going to the range this weekend with slug gun and muzzy. My quiestion is at 50yrds. i want my groups 2-3'' above the bullsye right.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyduck View Post
Going to the range this weekend with slug gun and muzzy. My quiestion is at 50yrds. i want my groups 2-3'' above the bullsye right.
Better question is the distance you expect the deer to be when you shoot. If the deer is gonna be 50 yards away, I'd zero there. If you expect a longer shot, then 2-3 is probably right...but why not shoot at 100 yards at the range and find out? Most ranges go to 100 yards.

I think a lot of hunters check ballistic tables and figure that's where they should set their scope. But most deer in Michigan (at least the ones I've shot), are not 300 yards away - they're maybe 100 yards.

Good luck.
Remove this ad...  
Old 10-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 26Users Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by goemado View Post
Better question is the distance you expect the deer to be when you shoot. If the deer is gonna be 50 yards away, I'd zero there. If you expect a longer shot, then 2-3 is probably right...but why not shoot at 100 yards at the range and find out? Most ranges go to 100 yards.

I think a lot of hunters check ballistic tables and figure that's where they should set their scope. But most deer in Michigan (at least the ones I've shot), are not 300 yards away - they're maybe 100 yards.

Good luck.
Up to 100yrds.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Photos: 17Users Photo Gallery

I think 2" high at 50 is more reasonable if you are willing to accept 1" - 1.5" low at 100. If you want to avoid low shots at all cost then 3" high at 50 is more in line.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Guide

Photos: 8Users Photo Gallery

to answer your question on where it is going to hit, each gun is different, the answer is to shoot at all the ranges 50 100 200 or what ever you want to shoot at. Charts are just an average, I know I wouldn't want to shoot at an animal with a gun I do not know for sure where it is hitting at a certain yardage. Some shoot all year not just a few days before deer season, to figure out.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:32 PM
Tracker

Photos: 6Users Photo Gallery

Each gun shoots different, most slugs shoot different, Smooth barrel, or rifled barrel, scpoe, open sights, or bead, there are many things you need to consider befroe you just guess at how high you should shoot over the bull, i would not guess at all, shoot it at 25 yrds, 50 yrds, 75 yrds and 100 yrds then you will no for sure and you won't be pissed off when you miss or even worst wound one.

CATCH & RELEASE LET EM" GO WATCH THEM GROW

LIFE IS TO SHORT, LIVE EVERY MINUTE WITH FRIENDS AND FAMILY, TAKE A KID HUNTING.
Old 10-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Michiganiac

Photos: 4Users Photo Gallery

Sight it in at 100 and you are good from in your lap out to 100 and a little beyond. What's all the fuss about?
Old 10-31-2009, 08:53 AM
Guide

On my rifles with open sights, I like to sight-in at 50 yards because I can see the target better, and my sight-in adjustments are more accurate. Trying to do this at 100 yds often leads to a lot of frustration, wasted ammo, and a less than perfect sight-in. Fifty yards is also a good range to start if you have a low power scope.

That being said, for a newly scoped rifle, if you do not have a collimator or some other type of bore sighting device, you need to start at 25 yards in order to "get on the paper". This probably also applies to a new open sighted rifle as well.

Even at 50 yards, you need good shooting bench equipment, which at a minimum would include an adjustable front rest and rear sandbags. I can't tell you how many times I've seen poorly equipped shooters come to the range, shoot (waste) a few shots, fiddle with their sights, and then leave, sometimes for an expensive hunt, with their rifle in worse sight-in shape than when they arrived.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Photos: 15Users Photo Gallery

Most manufacturers recommend slugs be sighted in at 50 yards while the projectile is still supersonic. That being said you should still practice at the range you intend to hunt. I took my son out to sight in his new slug barrel yesterday. At 50 yards he had a 3 shot clover leaf group 2 inches above the bulls eye. At 100 yards he couldn't even hit the target. I guess that his gun doesn't like the lightfields so I am going to try the Hornady SST's.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

I sighted in a M-L & a shotgun slug gun at 60 yrds yesterday, farm range. I am about 1.5" high at this range & it works for me. This is a 250 grn SST at 1950 fps, chronographed.. My shots average right around that range, even when I can see & cover a longer distance. I have shot my M-L at longer ranges & feel comfortable to 125+ or so. With a centerfire rifle this 1'5" at 60 will usually put you way to high at 125+/-yrds.

One thing I like about the 50-60 yrd range is you should be able to have very good control of your groups. What I mean is you should have good groups you can adjust from. I've seen guys shoot at 100 yrds where you wonder if it's the shooter, ammo, the shooting etc.. If you can't get consistant groups it's hard to 'dial-in' your scope. Some scopes, rests & all are not the best for precision shooting at 100 yrds.