Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Cooking and Brewing > BBQ Recipes
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Guide

Photos: 6Users Photo Gallery
Default Venison Bacon

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
While digging around the web last night, found this on another forum: Venison Bacon; sounds awesome. May give it a try. This guy must be a farmer from North Dakota

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...=venison+bacon

There are mutliple pics on the thread, but here is one that may get your stomach going:
Venison Bacon - BBQ Recipes

Venison Bacon Recipe – 25 lb. batch

Day 1:

- I use 50 – (approx. 12.5 lbs) venison to 50 – (approx. 12.5 lbs.) 80/20 pork/fat.
- I grind these through the grinder once using a coarse grinder plate, and then do a thorough mix of the meats and then grind one more time through the grinder using a fine grinder plate.
- Then in a tub I add the seasoning to the mix, cure, an ounce of flavor booster and 4 cups of water. This stuff is sticky, reminds me of the perfect meat glue…… The seasoning and flavor booster is a premix that I order from Curley’s Sausage Kitchen online. Then I pack the seasoned meats into tin foil loaf pans (about 2 inches thick, about the width of a slice of bacon) for the meat to set up over night in the refrigerator and firm up. When setting in the fridge, make sure meat is well covered. I use wax paper and set pans on top of each other and will pack 4 or 5 high.

Day 2:
- Place meat pan upside down onto your smoking racks and gently remove the meat mixture onto your smoking racks. (This is the point why I like to use tinfoil pans. The consistency of the mixture is very sticky and bending the pans to get the meat loaf mixture out in one piece is easier with a tinfoil pan.)
- I put it in the smoker at 130 degree’s for an hour with no smoke and damper wide open for drying purposes.
- Then add smoke and move up to 160 degree’s for 2 hours with the damper half open.
- Then I remove the smoke and move up to 180 degree for about 4 more hours. I remove it from the smoker when the internal temperature reaches 155 degree’s. I have moved up to 200 degree’s with no problems if getting the internal temp of 155 is taking too long.
- Take out and let meat cool, then I bag the meat loafs separately and again, refrigerate over night.

Day 3:
- Slice meat to your personal bacon thickness preference, package and freeze. Or if you are anxious and hungry, just start cooking it like you would normal bacon !!!

Here is a link to the site that sells the seasoning:
http://stores.curleyssausagekitchen....und/Detail.bok
Venison Bacon - BBQ Recipes

Sounds awesome, could work with elk, bear, too?
Old 11-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 40Users Photo Gallery

Looks good.. Cya Slick
Old 11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 37Users Photo Gallery

Had some made at DJ's in White lake was pretty good.......Mack

Browning Pro Staff
Mossy Oak Pro Staff
Lynch Mob Pro Staff
Dakota Decoys Field staff