Go Back   The Michigan Sportsman Forums > General Discussions > Sound Off (MichiganForums.com)
Home Forums Classifieds Product Reviews Campfire Calendar Calendar MS Links
Register FAQ Blogs Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Sound Off (MichiganForums.com) Sound off about anything you want, politics, news, sports. Must be a member for 30 days to post here.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Master Sportsman

Default Engineered Septic Systems

Remove this ad.....
become a Supporting Member today.
I am building a home in Bunker Township, Ingham County. Looks like I am going to be required to put in a engineered septic system. I have heard that these can cost up to $15,000 . Does anyone know anything about them. Also any recommedations on who might install these. Thanks for your help. Whatever happend to the good old days of the outhouse!
Old 03-29-2006, 04:51 PM
Michigan Sportsman

Photos: 21Users Photo Gallery

Is that one of those systems that has to use a pump to get the S*&^ up and out of the house and over to the Septic field? If it is, a friend of mine's home has one of those.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:05 PM
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
Rank Type

Photos: 62Users Photo Gallery
Default thats high

Just had a large, custom 2-section above ground engineered system installed in Gladwin CO. Each section functions as a full field and can be switched over with a simple valve (if there is ever a problem) to the other half so you're never without a field

Approx 7K.

bruddah IZ, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Old 03-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Holy cow, Fiji, sounds like you got a serious hook up.

Field sizes first must be determined by the county health department.
They will come out and make you dig a hole (backhoe needed).
Based on the water flow into the hole, and the soil type, the inspector will determine how many lineal feet of tile you need.
The number of bedrooms in the house is part of that determination.
You'll hear people call the inspection a "Perc" test.
If the soil is suitable for installing a septic field in, then you can get through this at a good price, needing only pea stone and drainage tile to be installed.
If the soil is not conducive to drainage, the inspector will tell you that you need an "engineered" field. This can be one of 2 things.
A. You'll have to dig extra deep trenches and fill them with sand before the pea stone goes in, or;
B. You'll have to install an "elevated" field. This entails an excavator pushing off the top 12" of soil, filling in the area with sand (depth is determined by slope of the yard.) Then the trenches are dug in this sand and filled with pea stone for the drain tile.
As you might have guessed, the elevated sytem is the most expensive. A 600' system in Lapeer county will cost $9,000.00 give or take $300.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:01 PM
Charter Member
Rank Type

Photos: 43Users Photo Gallery

I installed an elevated field at my camp two years ago, like Tim T says it's up to the county, but I followed their guidelines utilizing a lift tank along w/ the septic tank and did everything myself with the help of the neighbors backhoe for less than $2500.00 if memory serves me. I am not sure if using a lift tank and ground level raised bed is the same as an engineered field.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Master Sportsman

Send a message via MSN to Ron A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby-G
I am building a home in Bunker Township, Ingham County. Looks like I am going to be required to put in a engineered septic system. I have heard that these can cost up to $15,000 . Does anyone know anything about them. Also any recommedations on who might install these. Thanks for your help. Whatever happend to the good old days of the outhouse!
Looks like it`s time to Bend Over an` Grab yer Ankles!!
Old 03-30-2006, 02:41 AM
Guide

Photos: 12Users Photo Gallery

To my knowledge the difference is that instead of digging down and putting your field in that you need to bring tons of sand which will also mean your actual house needs to be elivated in order to gravity feed to the field. Costs are determined by the size of the field. Standard 3 beedrooms and two baths will get you in a field roughly 100x100 feet with 6-7 tile runs. i have to say though that 15k does sound a bit high. Shop around.....you can do your holes with an auger too I believe.

FD
Old 03-30-2006, 06:54 AM
Michiganiac

Photos: 40Users Photo Gallery
Default engineered field

to clear up a bit of confusion about engineered fields. any field can be engineered.its the lots that will not perc or in other terms let the water down fast enough that a county will demand an engineered field.this happens with hard clay, or bedrock. other cases are swamp fields(flood plains) which are either raised or not allowed at all.in most cases you have an engineer determine what field size (normally 600 sq feet per bedroom)
then you need to dig deep enough to have some flow rate predetermined by the ammount and type of sand you put in the hole.engineering costs can be 5 grand+ if the county makes you do this and certify it.usually you can just dig a 60 by 30 area down to as low as 20 feet and fill with sand.still expensive. then you have to install a normal field with a holding tank of 1000-1500 gallons and the typical plastic pipe that sits on crushed rock. i have seen engineered fields cost 15-25 thousand. a normal field like mine runs about 4. its all how strict the county is.you need an engineer buddy , a backhoe or excavator and a trainload of sand.then hire out the rest .its a job best handled by professionals.if done properly ,they will last a lifetime.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:09 AM
Charter Member
Rank Type

Photos: 43Users Photo Gallery

In Presque Isle County I only had to remove the sod at ground level then add field stone (at ground level), drain tiles (# of tiles and square footage determined by county health inspector) more stone on top, straw, top soil and grass seed or sod. This was coupled with a septic tank and lift tank with pump to remove the liquid to the field. I assume that qualifies as an engineered field. I did not have to lay in a sand bed first, but I suppose that is up to the county health inspector in each specific county.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Baby-G, has the county inspector been out for the perc test? Here in Lapeer county there has been so much building on clay that the county just hands you a packet and specifies on the permit what field is required. So, when an elevated field is spec'd out, there is no engineering required. This is going to be different from county to county, though. As DT stated, when you get into constructing an elevated field, you're going to have to go through an excavator.

Since you're building a home, I'm wondering if you have a builder or if you're doing it yourself. If you have a builder, get a quote from the excavator he's using to dig the basement.