Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

"Blind" Grunting

2K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  Phoolish 
#1 ·
Do you guys blind grunt a lot, or just when you've spotted a buck? Or maybe no grunting at all?

I'll blind grunt during this time of year, but I do try and keep it limited.

Just curious as to other people's tactics.

#3 ·
I'll definitely give it a whirl depending on what type of habitat I'm sitting in. I've had quite a bit of success in doing so, just make sure you're confident nothing has moved in on your position prior to doing it.

#4 ·
i typically call based on the environmental factors during the hunt. temp wind ect. if it is a chill cool hunt, and the wind direction is good for calling. i call 2 or 3 times a sit. saying the wind is good, and the wind is good for calling is two different things. in order for the wind to be good for calling, you have to be able to shoot the direction the wind is going. any buck worth shooting is going to circle downwind of you, trying to see what deer is calling or if it is danger. if you're really good you can play the wind so the deer thinks he's walking into your scent stream, but in reality he's walking into your shooting lane.

#5 ·
I try to call only if I see a deer. My experience has been that over- and blind calling can ruin a hunt and a stand rather quickly. The only exception would be on the perimeter of a bedding area which I absolutely know is holding deer, or on one off hunts at different properties I may only hunt once or twice for the entire season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I blind call almost morning every hunt. I do hunt bedding edge cover and it is very thick My experience has been the thicker the cover the better calling works. When a buck can see over to where the call comes from often he will just look but if he can't see that far his curiosity works in your favor. Soft, doe contact grunts work for me all year long. I often change tactics when I can see the deer but when blind calling keep it soft and non threatening and you will do fine.

Good luck

#7 ·
Blind calling has been the key to my success on older age class State Land bucks for a long long time now.
<----<<<

#17 ·
Blind calling has been the key to my success on older age class State Land bucks for a long long time now.
<----<<<
. I'm with you on that one I have taken a few older state land 8 points blind calling then again I have also called in more than a few hunters looking for a buck you never know what might show up when u hit that call lol

#10 ·
Sounds like I'm in line with what you guys are doing.

Maybe a different thread, but what kind of grunt calls is everyone using?

I was using Primos hardwood call until i busted it, now i have a flextone which I'm not a fan of, you can't really get that soft call out , seems that you have to really blow into it to get it to work and when it goes off its pretty loud, which is not ideal for me hunting right next to bedding

#13 ·
Sounds like I'm in line with what you guys are doing.

Maybe a different thread, but what kind of grunt calls is everyone using?

I was using Primos hardwood call until i busted it, now i have a flextone which I'm not a fan of, you can't really get that soft call out , seems that you have to really blow into it to get it to work and when it goes off its pretty loud, which is not ideal for me hunting right next to bedding
I use the flextone and have had great success with. I prefer the deep grunt it makes. The sound carries a long ways on them dead calm mornings.

#16 ·
Very very little blind calling for me. Ever have deer appear out of nowhere? I don't want to give them any clue to where I'm at.
I only call at deer that I won't get an opportunity at, the Hail Mary calling.

Reactions: No-Bama
#19 ·
I think it's effective on deer in lower pressure areas, otherwise as pointed out you are going to be pinpointed or winded by a mature buck. Even out of state I've noticed that grunt calls of any kind rarely work anymore, kind of like calling at pressured ducks.

Reactions: d_rek
#23 ·
4 of the shoulder mounts on my wall came in about 10 minutes after blind calling with the can. My biggest also came in to the can but I knew he was there. 2 were on November 7th and 2 were on November 17th. They all came in slow and looking hard so you better make sure you sit very still and have your weapon ready for a while after blind calling

#21 ·
I got my biggest buck blind calling on a windy day with one of those doe cans. Called once or twice and then shortly after heard a branch break behind me. After a few minutes of nothing I though it was a squirrel. Looked to my left and there was a buck walking across the ridge 20 yards away from my ground blind. Maybe it was just dumb luck but I would say the doe can had something to do with it.

#26 ·
I've grunted in a lot of bucks including quite a few that were 'blind' in that I didn't see or hear them, but usually I grunt when I'm more certain that there's a good buck around. It just really depends upon the circumstances and how desperate I'm getting.
Grass Carnivore Fawn Terrestrial animal Snout

I've been able to observe quite a few bucks while grunting and I've only seen one turn and leave, and he didn't run, just walked the other way. That was on state land and I figured he'd maybe heard a few grunt calls!

One season I 'blind grunted' in seven bucks in two days, and shot this one. Note the broken back leg: it was completely broken at the knee, and he had a fresh bleeding puncture wound in the ham. A deer ran off behind him when I walked up and I would have waited if I could have heard the 2nd one before I shot. Not a lotta time to get shots off up there. I should have shot the fifth buck that came in because he was a lot bigger, but I wasn't used to seeing a Canadian whitetail with heavy mass/short tines right then. The last three came in immediately once I'd settled down against a spruce tree and started grunting, and I mean immediately.

#30 ·
my biggest buck come in to a blind call. i did a little song and dance with a can and grunt he came in ready to rumble. i didnt a blind grunt Sunday morning too. heard something come charging in, could see flashes of him through the trees. was all ready to shoot and then it turned out to just be a pencil headed 4 point

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.