Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Bow Opener Success?

5K views 45 replies 35 participants last post by  Bigdiddy 
#1 ·
Ok - there are a lot of people going out this weekend, there are also a lot that are not going out. I've even heard some people say its too early in the season to get out there yet...

So I'm just wondering how many of you have had luck on the Oct 1st Opener in the past?

I plan in being out there rain or shine....

#2 ·
If it's during the week I certainly won't take time off work for bow opener, when it's on a weekend I will most likely hunt, because I hunt every weekend I can.

Oct 1st 2001 I hit a nice 10 point. It was a windy and warm night and he must have been bedded near my stand because he came out within the first 30 mins and was the first and only deer I saw that night. It was never recovered but it was seen a few weeks later looking as healthy as ever. Other than that singular event I have never had any success on the few bow openers I have hunted and for the most part they have been slow for deer movement.

#4 ·
Like Hubb, I only hunt opening day when my schedule permits. But I always hunt my opening day, which means some time during the first week. I can think of 4 success stories right off the top of my head, two bucks, two does, and at least one blown opportunity. Probably more in there if I gave it some thought.

#5 ·
I used to make sure every year I had the opener off, but now with 2 kids and a family and work and everything that goes with it, I wont specifically take the day off, but I might hunt after work or wait till the first available day I can. I have killed 1 buck on opening day about 10 years ago. I have blown a couple opportunities.

#6 · (Edited)
I think it really depends where you hunt.

I stopped hunting early archery season a long time ago. I've had immeasurably better hunting but letting my stands rest in early season and concentrating on Oct.25 thru Nov.10.

In my area, bow opener still gets pounded, along with all the grouse hunters on the state land. About 20 new bait piles have invariably just showed up within 1/4 of my fence lines. My neighbors have poor success also. I think the intense pressure, combined with lots of woods puts the deer down.

Since starting bow hunting my land in 1978, I can only think of one buck that was killed on Oct. 1. Our log books show lots and lots and lots of 0's for bucks seen in the first week of bow season. Compare that to say November 1st, where the log books could show a dozen plus bucks seen on a single day, collectively.

However, I know guys in SLP farmland who swear by early season, as the bucks are in predictable Summer patterns. My buddy who hunts suburban deer in KY has killed several P&Y bucks there, in the 95 degree heat of their early September opener.

#9 ·
I think it really depends where you hunt.

I stopped hunting early archery season a long time ago. I've had immeasurably better hunting but letting my stands rest in early season and concentrating on Oct.25 thru Nov.10.

In my area, bow opener still gets pounded, along with all the grouse hunters on the state land. About 20 new bait piles have invariably just showed up within 1/4 of my fence lines. My neighbors have poor success also. I think the intense pressure, combined with lots of woods puts the deer down.

Since starting bow hunting my land in 1978, I can only think of one buck that was killed on Oct. 1. Our log books show lots and lots and lots of 0's for bucks seen in the first week of bow season. Compare that to say November first, where the log books could show a dozen plus bucks seen on a single day, collectively.

However, I know guys in SLP farmland who swear by early season, as the bucks are in predictable Summer patterns. My buddy who hunts suburban deer in KY has killed several P&Y bucks there, in the 95 degree heat of their early September opener.
For sure. No real change in pressure between first and last day on the land I hunt. Great point.

#7 ·
I am pretty sure that my first deer ever was opening day of bow season in 1983. I do not think that I have taken another deer on October 1st since. In fact, a small percentage of the deer I have taken come before the end of October into November. But you never know!
It really isn't about getting a deer this time of year for me. It is more about finally be able to get out there... set up a few more stands, and enjoy the outdoors, hopefully have some sightings. Still, I believe that if I put in enough time, I will get at least one opportunity to put an arrow through a deer and eat his heart. One arrow, one clean kill; one successful season. Simple for me.
It is about putting in the time.... and enjoying it while I can.
<----<<<

#8 ·
I am pretty sure that my first deer ever was opening day of bow season in 1983. I do not think that I have taken another deer on October 1st since. In fact, a small percentage of the deer I have taken come before the end of October into November. But you never know!
It really isn't about getting a deer this time of year for me. It is more about finally be able to get out there... set up a few more stands, and enjoy the outdoors, hopefully have some sightings. Still, I believe that if I put in enough time, I will get at least one opportunity to put an arrow through a deer and eat his heart. One arrow, one clean kill; one successful season. Simple for me.
It is about putting in the time.... and enjoying it while I can.
<----<<<
My sentiment as well.

#11 ·
I never hunt opening day anymore. I wait until early November to even walk to my stand. I can't use a vertical bow anymore and went with a crossbow last year. I hate using a crossbow, but if I want to hunt it is the only way I can archery hunt anymore. So my archery season is very limited for that reason. I still look forward to firearm deer camp each year however.

#14 ·
I believe you will do more damage than anything trying to hunt mornings the first couple weeks in October. I'm sure someone will shoot a nice buck Saturday morning, but the odds are not in your favor. Most deer will be bedded well before shooting light. Not worth ruining a spot just to hunt the opener.

I will hunt evenings if I can, but I don't push it. Every year is different, but I will focus on a front and a high pressure system which we usually get mid to late October.

Oct 8 I can guarantee I will be duck hunting!

#18 ·
Nice job. Had a similar experience on October 8th one year. I also shot the 6th buck, an 8 point, that came out on the same trail over the course of 45 or so minutes.

#19 ·
I have shot way more deer during bow season than during the gun and muzzleloader seasons. That being said I can only remember being successful on a few openers early in my hunting career. A couple of smaller bucks, I think 2 spikes and a four point. Keep in mind it was the late 80's in the NLP on state land. I know as I have gotten older and way more selective on what I shoot now on private land in the SLP that I'm sure I could be as successful as I was back then but I choose to pass and hopefully take them when they mature. That being said, I am going salmon fishing this weekend in a unmentionable stream in the NLP.

#20 ·
Depends on what you call successful? I have tagged a few deer over the years on the opening day. I haven't kept a log but I would say that I have almost always seen or passed on deer on opening day. To me success is making it back into the woods for another season so everyday I'm out there is successful :) and I'm out there any day I can be, opening day or the last day.

#25 ·
Last year opening morning I went out. I literally in my head told myself it would be mostly about fun and observing, I wasn't overly optimistic but wanted to spend some time in stand anyways. 1.5 hours into the hunt 2 spikes came trotting along the field edge and I though to myself, where are your friends. Suddenly 3 more bucks came, I never got a count on a single one. I was focused on a shooter coming at me like a dream. I never even counted his points as I was trying to age him and the time I had him sight was short.

I had only one shooting lane on to the field edge. He came withing range, 20 to 25 yards, I mouthed off to him, the second time he stopped. He was like 6 feet two far. I couldn't make the shot at that angle. For now on I will always mouth off to them twice and fast. Both shooters I have encountered the second bleat stopped them. This buck imo was pretty damn big. His tines looked thicker then the 10 pointers antler bases I harvested. I would guess around 140-150. After he left range I looked directly down and one of the spikes was right under me looking right at me like wtf are you. I was so focused he didn't even exist, but he was watching me closely the entire time I tried to get the shot.

Unfortunately that was the only shooter I seen all season. I seen plenty of bucks, but nothing of decent age. I feel like I could have been more mentally prepared that day, maybe if I would have planned on the second call to stop him. It went over and over in my head and I remember the whole experience clear as day because of this. I semi regret aging what my instincts told me was shooter. It would have been better to have seen him before on camera or something.

My first and only buck was harvested on the morning of Oct.12 during the 2014 season. I passed a couple nice bucks that year later on to give them a chance. Early season has been the best for me as far as bucks go. The weather is not looking up for me this Saturday, 90% chance of thunderstorms. Sunday has morning rain, so I might get a hunt in Sunday night. Good luck out there, and be ready!

#28 ·
I shot my best buck to date in a clover plot last year about a half hour or so before dark on October 4th. I'm glad I was out there. Usually I don't do much until about a week before Halloween but I had so many pictures of him in the last hour of daylight. I wanted a crack at him before his patterns changed and it paid off.

#32 ·
I think I've only hunted the opener 2 or possibly 3 times. I did kill a 2 1/2 year old buck on one of those openers on an afternoon hunt. My wife took a 2 1/2 year old buck one year on October 11th. Virtually all of our other archery bucks have been tagged between Oct 25th and Nov 13th. Why so few early season bucks? While my wife does hunt some during the early season, I usually don't get excited about it until around the 25th so that is when I concentrate my efforts. Can't kill em if you aren't out there I guess.

I remember a few years ago when we decided we were going to hunt the opener but a buddy of ours invited us on a pheasant hunt at a Wisconsin game ranch so we went bird hunting. Wouldn't you know it, when I retrieved the camera cards a week or so later, 2 shooter bucks had passed my wife's stand on Oct 1st.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.