Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Hunting Liscence

5K views 69 replies 26 participants last post by  JimP 
#1 ·
Do I need to complete hunter saftey course for bow hunting antlerless deer hunting liscence?

#3 ·
Seems kinda crazy that we are reverting back to 1960 still. 21 year old can get a CPL and carry a gun but in order to hunt he has to have a hunter safety certificate. Maybe change that year to 1990. I don't know. Just seems ridiculous

#4 ·
The 21 yr old still has to take a class to learn the rules of carrying the concealed weapon. As far as I know cpl doesn't cover the laws/regulations for hunting in michigan. That same 21 yr old can't drive a car without drivers training or drive a jetski without boaters safety. It is all about making sure. A person knows and follows the rules to protect the rest of us.

#5 ·
Sorry but requiring someone who is 56 years old to have a hunters safety certificate is ridiculous

Reactions: perchyanker
#7 ·
#11 ·
I believe everyone should take the course... with that being said I am never asked for my hunter safety certificate when I buy my license...
I was asked if I had taken hunters safety but not proof when I purchased licences for this deer season last week. In the past sometimes they ask and sometimes they don't. They do scan your drivers license though. Maybe a question for DEADSHORT, but what info does your drivers license have that would be necessary to purchase a hunting or fishing license?

#12 ·
Name, address, date of birth, and DL #.

#20 ·
I guess they do care enough to require everyone to take the safety class. But it is some sort of "honors system" where your word is enough, for your convenience. I am sure that the consensus is that most people who hunt will not lie on this matter. Of course, there may be a few who take advantage of this honors system. Hopefully not too many... or everyone will be forced to carry a SC certificate in their pockets and that will be inconveniente for the rest of us, law abiding hunters.

#16 ·
I agree that the hunters safety course is a good idea but when I took my kids to take theirs. (2 different occasions) I wasn't impressed with a few of the instructors. One was teaching them about gun safety, when I swear he pointed his gun at everyone in the class. Another told the students that the tree lounge climber was the only stand that you could have your safety harness attached to it instead of the tree. Bottom line, my kids are gonna learn more about hunting safety than anyone else.

#17 ·
IMO, if you gotta ask that question, Yes. You should take the course and take the time to learn the game laws. You owe that out of respect to your fellow hunters and the game you pursue. Otherwise, you're just another poacher.

Is the apprentice program still around?

I know that was available to people who were just starting out but they had to be with an adult who had completed a course.

I'm only 41, but when I was younger my parents made it a point that I would not go hunting until I had passed a hunters safety course. It seemed like that was the case with all of my friends and cousins that were all the same age.

#23 ·
For anyone who may be questioning this, it's true.

My cousin who had bought a combo tag to do a little bow hunting had come up for gun season and realized he lost his tag. He went to a local store in an attempt to figure out what to do, to be legal. They're response was to just buy a new combo license. Didn't make much sense to either of us since anyone could realistically shoot as many deer as they want and could continue to buy tags. Obviously if the DNR ever caught on to this they would be in trouble but the odds are in the favor of the hunter to never being caught.
My cousin was a little pissed becuase he didn't want to pay the money for a new tag but at the time he didn't have any other option. Turns out, at end of season, he had bought 4 tags plus a private land doe tag and never shot a deer. Haha
That's some tough luck havin 5 tags but not getting anything. With the info from your story I can see someone who shoots 2 bucks let's say opening day then goes the next day and says hey lost my license can I buy another combo and shoot 2 more. I can see some people tryin that

#24 ·
take the course. also if you ever operate a boat,,, take the boater safety course. i bet dollars to donuts no one on that boat that killed that baseball player had boaters safety.
the worst it can do is save your life, or someone elses.

Reactions: HUBBHUNTER
#34 ·
Right it is the system but so what. A flag should come up and the retailer not be able to sell it. Yes the DNR does follow up on things like that but why can it be done in the first place?
Yeah, but the rules say you can buy a replacement tag if you lost the first one. You can't use the one that was lost if you happen to find it later after replacing it.

#37 ·
IMO, if you gotta ask that question, Yes. You should take the course and take the time to learn the game laws. You owe that out of respect to your fellow hunters and the game you pursue. Otherwise, you're just another poacher.

Is the apprentice program still around?

I know that was available to people who were just starting out but they had to be with an adult who had completed a course.

I'm only 41, but when I was younger my parents made it a point that I would not go hunting until I had passed a hunters safety course. It seemed like that was the case with all of my friends and cousins that were all the same age.
Apprentice program is going strong,you must be 10 or older.

#38 ·
I work with a guy in his late 30's who has never taken hunter safety. I remember showing my HS card for my 1st few licenses , but for the last 15+/- years they just ask for my drivers license. I took HS again with my oldest boy a few years ago, because it included Bow Hunter safety, which some states are now requiring.

#42 ·
I wish Michigan would make you show your card. If it has been lost, request a replacement. I know many grown men that are experienced hunters that are required to physically show their card to hunt out of state.

To me it somewhat diminishes the value of having the requirement to take the course if all someone has to do is lie.....and hope they don't get caught.

It is an excellent course and to be honest, a youth hunter fresh or of hunter safety is sometimes more aware of safety than an experienced hunter that has been at it for 40 years.

#45 ·
I started hunting with 25 and got an apprentice license. I tagged along with my in laws for one season. Took the hunger safety course next season ist the sportmans club I was trapshooting at. Being on my own ever since. There's no harm in taking the course.

#50 ·
In not sure who actually writes the guide but it could be explained better. The actual MCL reads like this...

324.43544 License, sportcard, or kill tag; loss or destruction; duplicate; certification of loss form; fees.
Sec. 43544.

(1) If a license or sportcard issued pursuant to this part or a kill tag is lost or destroyed, a licensee may procure a duplicate from the department. To obtain a duplicate license, sportcard, or kill tag, the licensee shall file a certification of loss form with the department and shall pay the duplicate fee as provided in subsection (2) for each duplicate requested.

(2) If the licensee meets the requirements of subsection (1) and all other requirements of this part for procuring a license or sportcard, or, if required by this part, a kill tag, the department shall verify the purchase of the original and issue to the licensee the duplicates requested and collect the following applicable duplicate fees:

(a) Until March 1, 2014, and except as provided in subdivision (c), $3.00 for each license included in a certification of loss.

(b) Beginning March 1, 2014, the amount the individual would pay for each license included in a certification of loss.

(c) For a duplicate of a kill tag, the fee shall equal the amount that the individual would pay for a license to which the kill tag applies without regard to marketing discounts or multilicense discounts.

(d) For a duplicate of a sportcard, $1.00.

Reactions: Petronius
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.