Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Hen experiment

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Oldgrandman 
#1 ·
Found 4 small hens on one tree with mostly sand around them. I know with the next rain, the up splash of sand is no fun cleaning them.
So i pulled out a plastic bag,cut it in halve lengthwise,and a small slit in the center of the bag large enough to just get it over the hen and
tuck it under it. I will check in several days and see if this will keep the sand off of them .

#5 ·
Found 4 small hens on one tree with mostly sand around them. I know with the next rain, the up splash of sand is no fun cleaning them.
So i pulled out a plastic bag,cut it in halve lengthwise,and a small slit in the center of the bag large enough to just get it over the hen and
tuck it under it. I will check in several days and see if this will keep the sand off of them .
A piece of landscape fabric or burlap would work too. It would blend in the ground and let rain soak through.

#7 ·
I had thought about the problem of keeping hens clean before, but didn't think about most of the dirt coming from splash back during rains. I was thinking more about things falling onto the hen from above like leaves and sticks. Your post made me think about it again as I was going through some old burlap I used for a makeshift ground blind.

#8 ·
If you don't have anything with you and find a baby hen on dirt just look around for some bark or leaves. I used bark to protect a baby hen a few days ago, it rained and I picked that hen today. Hen is very clean plus it has 4 or 5 siblings that popped up and grew amazingly fast since Thursday! After I picked the hen I removed the bark and there was another hen about the size of a quarter.

I've picked enough hens this year. It's so hard to pass up all the hens I've seen. I don't know anyone to give them to if I was to pick them.

#9 ·
I finally made it back out to check on the hens (5 days) that i tucked plastic bags under them to prevent sand splash up. I think we had just a little to mach rain last night.What surprized me the most was that how little they grew. I onli cut 1. Whis was the largest one of the 4. I am certain that the plastic bag helped quide a lot, i still some splash up. Time to clean em now.

#13 · (Edited)
You know I pondered doing something like that and/or the tent idea. But I haven't tried it yet, so you say it wasn't totally effective?

I know first hand about mushroom thieves,have been victimized many times.
This experiment i am doing on a friends 250 acre farm.
Mushroom thieves, I love it!

I finally made it back out to check on the hens (5 days) that i tucked plastic bags under them to prevent sand splash up. I think we had just a little to mach rain last night.What surprized me the most was that how little they grew. I onli cut 1. Whis was the largest one of the 4. I am certain that the plastic bag helped quide a lot, i still some splash up. Time to clean em now.
They have been kind of puny this season. Lots of en, up to 6 or 7 around a single tree, but so far I only saw one I would call huge but it was gone the next day I went to get it. Been a while since I found one the size of a basketball or bigger.
EDIT: Like this pic, 6-7 are showing and I had alreadycut one, yesterday another was gone and not shown is maybe another little one. I may be getting the trees confused...

Weird because until about 4 years ago I never had to worry about hen thieves where I look... :sad: .....or was it I who the hen thief all that time?! :eek:
Also weird is he/she/they ain't taking the honey's or chickens in my main spot......:confused:

View attachment 228493

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.