Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

THAT is a Wall Cloud.

3K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  LLSSt Clair 
#1 ·
Cloud Car Sky Vehicle Automotive lighting

See less See more
#5 ·
Harley Ensign Launch, Harrison Twp (Macomb County) today between 10 and 11. I was out with Kirkman and another member on the flats, we decided to fish a little closer to the launch because you could tell it was going to get ugly. We moved and caught a few more before I saw the signs of this wall way off on the horizon. We tossed the boat on the trailer and were on the road. it hit before we got a mile. Wall clouds are not to be taken lightly, they are the breeding grounds of tornadoes and the harbingers of some foul weather afoot. As it was it just rained like Niagra falls on us.........

Reactions: Fabner1
#7 ·
WOW. Awesome pic.

I have only seen one fully formed wall cloud like that and it was back in 1990. I was helping a local farmer sort pickles riding on the harvester. We holed up in the basement of the neighbors barn for a good 45 minutes when it hit and delivered it's payload.

#8 ·
WOW. Awesome pic.

I have only seen one fully formed wall cloud like that and it was back in 1990. I was helping a local farmer sort pickles riding on the harvester. We holed up in the basement of the neighbors barn for a good 45 minutes when it hit and delivered it's payload.
Cool Photo I watched that cloud come through but from the front yard in the Clem!

#19 ·
Not really, a few boats after us.....some guy was headed out in a 14'er with a tackle box, cooler and a few poles.

We were fishing out by the 27/28 channel marker catching eyes and one of our other boats said lets high tail it in, they got to Crocker roughly the same time we got to Harley....they got soaked as they pulled in. We got loaded, helped a couple more boats get tied to the dock and got in the truck as the first few drops fell then the heavens opened up!

#20 ·
Heres a pic from LSC about 1 year ago too..

View attachment 220735
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, that cloud has teeth. Looks like Bob Ross (r.i.p) had a real bad day before he hit the easel and decided to not paint "happy fluffy" clouds that day.

#22 · (Edited)
Heres a pic from LSC about 1 year.

Dan, I wanna say I saw the same wall cloud last year while heading to the lake. Or maybe it's a SHELF CLOUD? Who knows, I've always mixed up the two and im no expert meteorologist.

I think we have a tie or at least runner up on the photo. I do like that your still on the water dan, but yr old pic? Now we just need someone to post a pic of that darn wall cloud with a giant lake St Clair slob in it.

#24 ·
Or maybe it's a SHELF CLOUD? Who knows, I've always mixed up the two and im no expert meteorologist.

Technically, shelf clouds are on the leading edge such as in my pic. and wall clouds are at the rear of the storm, but every time I ever said shelf cloud no one knew what I meant. Wall cloud is descriptive enough people understood it.

#23 ·
We were drifting the River down from Marysville years ago and saw a cloud like that. Got back to the boat livery just before it hit. Got a little wet. Waited it out and started drifting again.

I don't think cameras were invented yet!

old

#26 ·
Awesome pics! A few years ago we were 17 miles out of Wheatley when we heard some rumbles of thunder. Pulled lines immediately and high-tailed it back to the harbor, only to see a wall cloud that looked just like that coming at us about 2 miles from the ramp. By the time we got to the dock, lightning was hitting all around us, and one strike took out the antenna on top of the marina building. It was scary as hell. We got out safely, but drenched and shaking. Turns out that if we would have stayed out there, it would have missed us completely, but I was afraid to risk it.

#28 ·
lake looked fairly calm..much lightening with it?

#31 ·
Stickler? That's not nice. So we confirm it's a shelf cloud! I likes it alot. Wall clouds are a hell of alot more likely to drop a twister. As captians dealing with weather proly important to know the diffence. Ignorance is bliss huh! Oh and I don't think members are that dumb not to appriciate the difference. If I called a muskie a pike I'm sure someone would enlighten me and I'd appreciate it. Your welcome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.