Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Jigging technique

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  sureshot006 
#1 ·
Just wondering how you all have been catching them as of late. When I was out Sunday seemed slow presentation worked a little better. Even when I was marking a bunch of silvers. They were lethargic and only hit when I used a Slow lift and drop. Maybe the water is still pretty cold. Have to think that the bottom temp is at least 5 degrees different than surface temps. I could be wrong on this.

#4 ·
I use a very light sensitive St Croix rod n Quantum Smoke 25 reel spooled with either 6 or 10 lb Fireline. The action on the 6ft St Croix Eye-Con is very fast and gives me excellent jig control. A few years back I closely studied, first hand, the jigging stroke of some of the very best fishermen on the DR. I discovered they used a "double snap" technique on the lift, which I believe attracts more fish and stimulates the strike response more often. It's very subtle, and all in the wrist (if you have a medium wt setup, your wrist will give up after a couple hours; hence the ultralight setup I invested in).

Jay

#5 ·
In colder dirty water, I like a slow lift to keep the bait in the strike zone longer for the eyes to see it. Lately I been snapping and working great since the water warmed up

#9 ·
Please excuse my ignorance but I have a question. When jigging down a river, do you pound the bottom then do your jigging close to the bottom like ice fishing? Or contact bottom after every lift? Thanks

#11 ·
^^^^^^What dub j said. More often than not my jig is in contact with the bottom on every rise and fall. When it doesn't touch is when I double twitch the jig and instantly find bottom and start the cadence again. Just mix it up. I think the extra twitch makes up their minds to EAT! Or at least slash at it. Thank you stinger hook[emoji1][emoji1]. Shrubby

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.