Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Winter On The Clinton

5K views 44 replies 14 participants last post by  Michiganderoutdoors 
#1 ·
Got out yesterday and jumped a few spots over large stretch of the Clinton. Went 1-2 on Steel and started to get into Suckers already..:eek:

Was using a 1\4 oz Jig ( Orange ) with 3" White Gulp the whole way through. Farther down stream I swore I had a Walleye for a minute. Seen a flash of gold and then fish off. Oh well. I'll give it another go today after work. See ya....

Sent From The Halls Of Crom

Attachments

See less See more
#16 ·
Went to one of my quick access spots early this morning. No steelhead just saw a few carp or suckers spawning, couldn't tell the difference from where I was standing. But it sure is a nice morning, very peaceful. Good luck if anyone goes out today.

#34 ·
No kayaks are too slow upstream;), a nice paddling solo canoe, makes paddling upstream a treat! I put in at Shadyside Park, just off northbound Gratiot where it crosses the river. I paddle upstream. I really find the water more interesting closer to Groesbeck, upstream to the convergence, and upstream to where logs block upstream paddling.
I have no interest in approaching a log jam coming downstream on that section of river. High banks, strong currents, water over my head, and the way current behaves in those log jams plain scare me. People can die in those conditions.
Sorry about the mommy speech, but a lot of people read these posts. It is a good stretch of water from SS to the logjam, should be able to get into fish. BTW I am not sure where the logjam is, I was still fishing Lake Huron in December, and only had one trip up to the convergence this season.
Good luck, post some kayak slimage pics.

#33 ·
Warning dumb question coming but whats the proper way to theow hot n tots and such for steelhead and pike in the river ive only bottom bounced and fly fished for steelhead and just started to dabble in float fishing as for pike i caught a few at the spillway dam and one at river bends on a mepps by casting across the river and letting the current take it while reeling in slowly

#36 ·
No kayaks are too slow upstream;), a nice paddling solo canoe, makes paddling upstream a treat! I put in at Shadyside Park, just off northbound Gratiot where it crosses the river. I paddle upstream. I really find the water more interesting closer to Groesbeck, upstream to the convergence, and upstream to where logs block upstream paddling.
I have no interest in approaching a log jam coming downstream on that section of river. High banks, strong currents, water over my head, and the way current behaves in those log jams plain scare me. People can die in those conditions.
Sorry about the mommy speech, but a lot of people read these posts. It is a good stretch of water from SS to the logjam, should be able to get into fish. BTW I am not sure where the logjam is, I was still fishing Lake Huron in December, and only had one trip up to the convergence this season.
Good luck, post some kayak slimage pics.
Not sure if the log jam is still there, I've paddled from Shadyside upstream to budd park over the summer without encountering any jams

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.