Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

An acorn day

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  pumpkinhead450 
#1 ·
It is cool and quite windy here in Lenawee County. It has been a while since I have seen a mid-October day this good for sitting on acorns in the evening, especially near a bedding area.

They may or may not hit the acorns in the morning, but if they can lay in their beds and hear the thumping of acorns as the wind takes them to the ground, that may be the first place they visit when they get up to move in the afternoon. Or they may get up for a mid-day snack.

My location this evening if I can get my work finished on time--an oak savannah not far from a bedding area. A couple of years ago I saw 6 bucks all at once (not during the sit, but all in sight at the same time) from 1.5 to 5.5+ years of age.

Good luck and hunt some white oaks if you have them.
Plant Sky Plant community Natural landscape Twig

See less See more
#2 ·
The white oaks on the property i hunt didn't seem to be producing much this year. I'm wondering if I shouldn't take a visit to them and see how they are doing a few weeks in.

#8 ·
I seem to have a decent, though not great, crop of quercus bicolor and q. macrocarpa acorns this year.

Their influence on deer activity is negligible. There's so much other deer food around, many of those acorns will rot away on the forest floor over the next few years.
My woods are loaded with acorns and deer haven't barely touched them cept some does. The big guys are holding tight in the corn and the beans that's where I've been getting the pics at not so much in the hard woods

#7 ·
Nice. The ones I scouted were dropping back in mid-Sept. Though sometimes - not always - after the acorns sit on the ground for a while they will start to rot or become infested with bugs. Worth checking out.

#11 ·
Bio That has to be an old picture. The oaks around her have hardly started to drop leaves yet.

I had a neighbor deliver at least 8 bushel of acorns he had cleaned up under his one huge white oat tree in his yard. He uses his shop vacuum to pick them up. I have cleaned up 3 bushel from under a couple of oaks at one of the parks at our private lake. I blew at least that many into the woods. The squirrels will have plenty to eat this winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.