Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Anyone plan on hitting the MWW Saturday?

4K views 65 replies 12 participants last post by  norton shores killer 
#1 ·
Im planning on being there with my father-in-law, a friend of his and his kid. Just wondering if anyone else will be there. We got 3 geese on their opener last year.

#7 ·
Exciting new set-up in the corn fields this year! The county has agreed to leave 12 standing rows of corn in the zones that have corn. Another 12 rows bordering it will be chopped. Could be a game changer.

Nic checked my birds at the launch Sat am for avian influenza. He said a bunch of gesse had come down with the last cold front. A good number of fields will be open. He's encouraged by the standing corn too. This along with the revised rig road rules last year have shown that they are making changes to improve the quality of the hunt. Now we have to get out there and USE IT!

#8 ·
I bet once the usual fennville crews hear about standing corn at Muskegon, some of them will start going there. I figure the need for a layout blind(or something similar) keeps some of those guys from using the MWW. I was surprised at the low number of parties there last year as I'm used to hunting fennville. Leaving standing corn should boost party numbers and give them even more incentive to improve the hunt experience there. Fennville now has flooded areas to attract more ducks and hopefully things only continue to improve. Hopefully I'll see some of you out there this weekend.

#19 ·
42 parties this morning. Saw a few MS members at the draw.

We were lucky enough to get drawn 11th. Sitting in an alfalfa field now. 1 mallard and 1 pintail so far. Geese haven't been moving a whole lot this morning, at least not on our side.

#26 ·
Ended up with just the two ducks, had some geese give us a look early, but never had any that were interested in really committing to the spread.

Quite a few geese were checked in from the morning hunt when we checked our birds. Most of the action seemed to be South of Apple, as expected.

#27 ·
And watching the board scouters go straight to that field for two weeks straight, not understanding the puddle in 51 had dried up since then. Won't forget you pulling a V of 50 geese bound on leaving the WW down from 100 yards up and putting them feet down in the pocket either. Glad I didn't miss.

#36 ·
Well I'm the lucky guy who scouted his rear off all week, took a newbie, and scored dead last in the draw on Saturday morning. Picked the furthest east you could go. All of the honkers were headed out on a mission and only had 1 small flock of ducks that we could see. Got out early, ran back through on a solo afternoon hunt and got my 2 geese in the south. 43 parties in the am, 2 for the draw in the afternoon and a handful who ran back through as well.

Good to see the corn still up this year for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.