Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Beware of Rattle Snakes on Murphy Lake

5K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  dallas10x 
#1 ·
Me and my daughter fished Murphy Lake a couple of weeks ago. Upon returning to shore we spotted a Rattler along the shore where we launched from. It seems a guy along the shore we talked to (who had just returned to shore and loaded up his canoe, may have chased the thing out of the slightly weeded bushy area along the shore where we saw the ugly thing) I yelled to the other guy on shore to have a look at the 2-3 ft snake that was going back and for along shore and asked his opinion on the spieces, he said it was a Rattler just as I thought! We waited to land our kayaks until the thing slithered away into the grass. So BEWARE. Anyone else saw any Rattle Snakes at Murphy Lake or around that area (Millington or areas nearby?)

#12 ·
Without a picture for positive ID, it's more likely the OP snake was a northern water snake, given the area where it was seen. Not saying it couldn't have been, but if every rattlesnake sighting turned out to actually be a rattlesnake they wouldn't be on the Protected list. They really are quite rare. There is a form to report sightings here...

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12145_12201-32995--,00.html

Massasauga's are protected by state law, as are several others. Any snake in it's own habitat deserves to be left alone.

#16 ·
In the late '70s a kid brought one to school in a large jar, he caught it in his backyard, at the corner of Elba and Coldwater roads in Columbiaville. I saw another in the Boy Scout Camp in Kalkaska in 1982. I have not seen any since, however I have seen a lot of Northern Water Snakes.

#17 ·
They're not very rare around me. I live ten miles from 7 lakes. I may or may not have killed one last year after it had my pregnant wife stuck on our dock rattling like crazy. Spears work very nice on snakes.

I live in Fenton, yes 7 Lakes has lot of rattlers, and you see them on Dauner and Eddy Lake Road at times as they go from one swamp to another. I have never had them bother us when fishing from shore. Keeps you on edge though!

#18 ·
We've got the least venomous rattler in the nation...you're definitely not going to die if bitten, but it will hurt like hell!
My Aunt picked up a small 10"-11" snake in the Independence area many moons ago.
Too small to be recognized nor even thought of as a possible rattler she said.
"Oh how cute" was her remark until it "scratched" her at the web by the thumb.
Hand and forearm swelled up triple size like Popeye.
Doc's declared it as definitely a rattler bite but I don't remember the treatment or how long it lasted.

#19 ·
I was demoing a old Michigan basement in otisville in the spring prob 7 years ago and came across a whole nest of em prob about 12-15 large adult size ones backed out for the weekend and they had all left by mon mornin cool to see it looked like they had used it for multiple years they had a decent size hole or den hollowed out along the wall

#20 ·
Likely you came across a hibernation den. They usually don't hang out in groups otherwise. The space was originally made by some other critter. Snakes don't dig, but they like to go into holes and dens inhabited by 'food'.

___________________________________________________________________________________

A word to the wise... since they are now protected by law, it's probably not a good idea to admit to killing one on a public forum like this one.

#21 ·
When i was 12 me and my dad were at freemans junk yard in davison when a guy got bit by what he said was a rattler so ambulance came. In the mean time me and an employee went to get his tools he left behind when bit. Low and behold therevwas a rattler still sitting there. I got it into a bucket and brought it up to the medics and they confirmed it was a rattle snake bite so off to the hospital he went. And also seen one on the ausable while canoeing with my dad. I tried to catch it but my dad was yelling at me to get away!!! The dumb stuff u do as a kid:dizzy:

#21 ·
When i was 12 me and my dad were at freemans junk yard in davison when a guy got bit by what he said was a rattler so ambulance came. In the mean time me and an employee went to get his tools he left behind when bit. Low and behold therevwas a rattler still sitting there. I got it into a bucket and brought it up to the medics and they confirmed it was a rattle snake bite so off to the hospital he went. And also seen one on the ausable while canoeing with my dad. I tried to catch it but my dad was yelling at me to get away!!! The dumb stuff u do as a kid:dizzy:

#26 ·
Always have a good laugh when somebody asks "what is it good for"? about an animal
or plant. How do I answer that? What is anything good for?
He never asked "what is it good for". He just asked why we would "protect" rattlesnakes in Michigan. I know they are somewhat rare, but it's a venomous animal. I highly doubt if the rattlesnake was completely gone in Michigan, the dnr would be out there dumping truckloads of venomous snakes on public land, like they do with other animals in Michigan. I just assume they list them as protected so people aren't trying to kill the things whenever we see them, which is what I am more than happy to do. Good try twisting his words around to try and make him look dumb though.

#27 ·
Ok so few years back had a mouse problem in boulder wall at back/side of house. Wife was concerned that they would get in. Set traps but limited results. It appeared to go away on it own. At the end of summer found a big shed skin and this guy next to house. Reported it to website listed previously. Got an email back cofirming this was a baby rattler. Was invited to a talk on snakes which showed the Mimics (5 other snakes which look similar but no poison). These are part of our world and help control pests. They are actually very docile and wont attack unless provoked. The watersnakes are super agrresive and strike like they got it going but do not. Had one of those is the pool in the yard also.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.