Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

New Michigan hunting law 3 points on one side or more.

4K views 23 replies 22 participants last post by  bassdisaster 
#1 ·
I have heard that the Michigan DNR is thinking about passing a law that in the lower pennisula a buck has to have 3 points or more on one side. Has anyone else heard about this law and whats your view on it. I think that I would be good there would be bigger bucks and let the little ones grow.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
NO I dont know were you heard that. Plus it isnt going to happen. I know your new here so ill bring you up to speed. This subject has been beaten to death and more than likely still is in the whitetail deer managment section, if you wish to argue about it head over there. Welcome to the site sorry if that was a little harsh but this isnt the place to argue about APR's

#3 ·
Speaking on behalf of the southern lower peninsula, a 3 point per side rule wouldn't save many bucks down here. A lot of our yearlings are 6 and 8 points. I understand the theory that you'll save a lot of yearling bucks, but realistically, all you do is take out all the yearlings with great genetics, leaving the spikes and fork horns.

#5 ·
Speaking on behalf of the southern lower peninsula, a 3 point per side rule wouldn't save many bucks down here. A lot of our yearlings are 6 and 8 points. I understand the theory that you'll save a lot of yearling bucks, but realistically, all you do is take out all the yearlings with great genetics, leaving the spikes and fork horns.
Agreed. APR's don't work but a OBR and BOW only might.:woohoo1:

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
NO I dont know were you heard that. Plus it isnt going to happen. I know your new here so ill bring you up to speed. This subject has been beaten to death and more than likely still is in the whitetail deer managment section, if you wish to argue about it head over there. Welcome to the site sorry if that was a little harsh but this isnt the place to argue about APR's
You aren't exactly an old timer here yourself. Let the man speak.

It'd be a blessing for 3 to a side.

#8 ·
Nope.

Posted from my iPhone.

#14 ·
Id personally like to see areas of the LP have a 4 point on one side APR. Im not saying the whole Lower, but parts of it. Some farm country areas have some whopper bucks, and restricting some of those areas to 4 pts on a side could make for some great trophy buck hunting in just a few years.

#16 ·
First off, MDNR doesn't make rules or laws. Either the NRC or the legislature would do such things.

Secondly, MDNR just set up their Deer Advisory Teams to talk over any and all such changes that may or may not occur in the future.

If I was to guess, and it's only a guess, with the rapid uptick in clamoring for some type of changes in buck tags, that around late 2013 the Advisory Teams will reach the conclusion that the "Hunters Choice" rules should apply statewide and then MDNR will recommend those changes in 2014 for the change to occur and be announced well in advance of the 2015 season. From there it's up to the NRC and who knows what they'll do.

Just my guess.

#17 ·
Only with a regular combination deer license in Upper Peninsula and DMUs 045, 115 & 487 and firearm deer and archery deer license in DMUs 045, 115 & 122.
Correct. It started last year and the MDNR titled it " Hunters Choice". Choice.In an article printed in Woods and Waters last year, the MDNR stated it would be a trail period or experiment and if it was taken well in the chosen areas, they may expand or possiable make it state wide. We hunt private land 487 and average 7 guys, 4 went with combo tags, 3 bought seperate tags. It may happen. B

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

#18 ·
New rules ,old rules, newer rules,changing opening day ,changing bag limits changing ammo rules,trap sizes,box sizes ,baiting rules , hook sizes gear restrictions Public land VS private land MY HEAD HURTS:dizzy: Before long the rule books are going to look like collage text books.

Sportsman beware the state has no money to post new info signs and violation of game laws are more than likely a misdemeanor.Make sure you read the guide pamphlets and the disclaimer that they may not cover all the rules and are only a guide issued for convenience.

#21 ·
Ive always wondered about that too, shoot only the best genetics and see what happens, those little scrub bucks are getting some whoopie!
But their offspring is under par so to speak, but I have also read that the Does are more important to Genetic's then the Bucks, so in the end I still say shoot what you want,"CHOICE" is all we have!

BD

#22 ·
Lets make it equitable to all....lets go to a draw on deer, 50,000 tags available statewide, evenly divided between bucks and does, point preference in place.
How would that suit you-plenty of does, big racks, no competition, and a tag every ten years.

#23 ·
I say we make it like fishing. No deer hunting before or during breeding season just like spawning season for fish. Than we have a min. size limit just like we have for all our favorite fish.

What a novel idea. Deer season opens in late november/december use any weapon you like. Could hunt along the edge of a lake and run tip-ups. Kill two birds with one stone.:idea:

This way everybody's happy. All the big bucks got to breed unmolested, genetics issue solved. Bowhunters will substantially increase the recovery rate of wounded deer with the aid of snow on the ground and firearm hunters won't be complaining that the bowhunters are killing/wounding all the bucks before they get a crack and baiting will help the bucks build fat back up from a month of hard rutting.

Than we can all be hunting instead of Christmas shopping.

#24 ·
I say we make it like fishing. No deer hunting before or during breeding season just like spawning season for fish. Than we have a min. size limit just like we have for all our favorite fish.

What a novel idea. Deer season opens in late november/december use any weapon you like. Could hunt along the edge of a lake and run tip-ups. Kill two birds with one stone.:idea:

This way everybody's happy. All the big bucks got to breed unmolested, genetics issue solved. Bowhunters will substantially increase the recovery rate of wounded deer with the aid of snow on the ground and firearm hunters won't be complaining that the bowhunters are killing/wounding all the bucks before they get a crack and baiting will help the bucks build fat back up from a month of hard rutting.

Than we can all be hunting instead of Christmas shopping.
What a waste of brain power, then it could suck for everyone yay!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.