Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

how to sell fur!!!

21K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  multibeard 
#1 ·
Hi ive never sold any fur before but was wondering if the prices people talk about getting for them is for tanned or untanned?

#2 ·
pre-tanned.

buyers will accept them 3 ways. in the green (whole animal), fresh (skinned hides), and stretched/dried.

the more work you put into it, the better price you will recieve...so if you are going to sell, buy some stretchers!

if you are going to tan them yourself, you can sell them to anyone ONCE TANNED. you can only sell raw pelts to a licenced fur buyer.

#3 ·
pre-tanned.

buyers will accept them 3 ways. in the green (whole animal), fresh (skinned hides), and stretched/dried.

the more work you put into it, the better price you will recieve...so if you are going to sell, buy some stretchers!

if you are going to tan them yourself, you can sell them to anyone ONCE TANNED. you can only sell raw pelts to a licenced fur buyer.

In the green refers to skinned, but not put up.

#10 ·
Yep, listen to these guys. Learn how to put up fur and you'll feel really proud of yourself when a buyer compliments your fur. Don't sell in the round. IMO buyers look upon that as laziness and so do I. If you can't atleast skin them. Don't catch em.

#12 ·
In the 70's when i was going to college, i was working 2 and 3 part time jobs as well as running a trap line. I didn't have the time, space or the equipment to skin and flesh out the hides. I would wipe the game off with a clean towel and place them in a chest freezer until i had enough to sell. It was great experience of getting outdoors for a few hours, earn some gas and book money and still be able to get studying and work done. We all have our opinions on what a sportsman should do but don't look down on others for not following in your steps. As long as we have repect for nature and those around us we should be gratefull

#13 ·
I guess I overlooked that part. Everyone around here that I've seen that sells whole always says they don't have time to skin, and they may only bring in a dozen animals. Mostly **** hunters or younger people. I'm not saying I've done it all or am the busiest guy around but I run quite a few traps, work, and go to school full time and put up hundreds of animals.

I guess I should put it this way. If you have the resources to atleast get your fur skinned then do it.

#14 ·
touching on what chuch said, city trappers should actually sell in the round if they can not dispose of their...extras properly. everytime John Q. public walks up on a skinned animal just laying out somewhere it gives hunters and trappers a bad reputation.

#21 ·
Fur prices you usually see quoted are raw or sometimes grease fur. In the years I worked and managed the Ravenna fur sale I can not really remember any amount of fur sold tanned.

From what I heard from a friend that sells traps and supply's both out of his shop and online, he had to send a truck in early December to pick up thousands of dollars of traps etc because of the demand. This demand was because of the open month, and every one was trapping hard, adding lines.

What are they going to do with this fur besides further flood a bad market? Unless self tan or pay to have it tanned to sell at flea markets etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.