PDA

View Full Version : Jet Divers

severus
03-29-2004, 10:44 PM
OK, I see them for sale everywhere, but I've never used them and really can't recall anyone on this site discussing them. So, how about it? Do you use jet divers, and how do they compare with dipsies? Worthwhile technique to run, or total waste of time and money?

DKuiper
03-30-2004, 07:02 AM
They use them a lot on Lake Erie charter boats. Of course over there they are not going very deep, only 20 to 30 feet. And usually pulling small stingers or scorpion spoons. I've been told that they pull easier than dipseys. And they track only straight back with no directional control like a dipsey. I'm thinking of getting a few and running them off my dual planer boards. I'll post the results.

Duane

Tech Rally
03-30-2004, 09:30 AM
If Jet Divers don't pull as much as a Dipsy, has anyone tried to run them off Large Planer Boards?

Chasin
03-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Tech,
You got me thinking the same thing. they are filled with air and if you slow the boat down or have then on and inside turn will they act somewhat like leadcore?? You coule easily set them up to run 50-100ft ahead of your baits. they would just act the exact oppisite of lead. I have a couple rolling around in my boat somewhere, I might have to do alittle tweaking and try some this year. Even in shallow water you could use the small ones with spoons 5ft behind them and if you slow down too much they should keep your spoon off the bottom and keep from getting snagged. I'm gonna have to do alittle more thinking about this one.:confused: :confused:

brdhntr
03-30-2004, 10:12 AM
I use them a lot. They are my poor man's downrigger. I use the Jet 20's, and they will get down deeper. Can't remember how far exactly. They will track same depth regardless of speed, unless you aren't moving at all, ie they don't move up and down in the water column as long as you are pullin on them. This is the opposite of lead, which will rise as you speed up and sink as you slow down. They should run off planar boards very easily, I have run them on inline planars with success.

severus
03-30-2004, 02:12 PM
I may have to get a pair of them to run from the planer boards this summer. Sounds interesting.

double trouble
03-30-2004, 02:30 PM
use them a lot in huron ohio.think of them as reverse dipsy's. dipsys will sink , these will float at rest. precision trolling book has a very good article written on this subject.they work very well off big boards , but they are not always where the fish are. if the fish are at 26 feet what do you do.they work well for scattered depth fish especially with spoons (i use stingers) or floater divers like original raps , or suspending baits like rogues. (my favorite). like any tool there is a time and place. if the water is under 20 feet other methods work better, like reef runners or deep husky jerks or deep t-sticks or hot in tots.you know their dive curve and can adjust their length off the boards.over 20 feet the mini divers and dipsys work well.jets have done well when seeking spooky fish with long leaders 5-8 feet. the colors can match the spoons well.they are consistant and do pull less off big boards. i never see that as a problem if you use good quality releases.try them off the last release with a scorpion in some purple color about 100 feet back. that worked consistantly for us last year. could change , but with the forage this year i doubt it. good luck Dan

garyrodbender
03-30-2004, 05:33 PM
Good post, severus, was just looking at my precision trolling book and reading up on those jet-divers.Seems they would be something to look into. I was watching an outdoor channel program were these guys were fishing for salmon in an area around vancuover bc,another in alaska.They just slammed the kings using jetdiver and spoon combos. Something I remember from my old set of dualboards.was an illustration using the planerboards, running a (deep diver husky j, dd thunderstick ect) and when the lure was let out to say 100-150 ft there was a 3 way swivle ...mainline,deepdiver and attactched to the 3rd was a 10ft leader and a small spoon attatched...Simalar to jetdiver, but having hooks on the dd. My .02

big vic
03-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Jet Divers, Big Jon Mini Disks and Fish Seekers all work well behind in-line planers

brdhntr
04-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by double trouble
use them a lot in huron ohio.think of them as reverse dipsy's. dipsys will sink , these will float at rest. precision trolling book has a very good article written on this subject.they work very well off big boards , but they are not always where the fish are. if the fish are at 26 feet what do you do.they work well for scattered depth fish especially with spoons (i use stingers) or floater divers like original raps , or suspending baits like rogues. (my favorite). like any tool there is a time and place. if the water is under 20 feet other methods work better, like reef runners or deep husky jerks or deep t-sticks or hot in tots.you know their dive curve and can adjust their length off the boards.over 20 feet the mini divers and dipsys work well.jets have done well when seeking spooky fish with long leaders 5-8 feet. the colors can match the spoons well.they are consistant and do pull less off big boards. i never see that as a problem if you use good quality releases.try them off the last release with a scorpion in some purple color about 100 feet back. that worked consistantly for us last year. could change , but with the forage this year i doubt it. good luck Dan

My Precision Trolling book shows the Jet 20 will dive to 30', also,
you can fish higer than 20' by following the dive curve in the Precision Troll book. My experience has pretty well backed up the curve in the PT book.

double trouble
04-02-2004, 08:31 PM
hey , i admit when i'm wrong. here is jet diver depths.The following is a copy of dipsy and jet diver settings and depths that I carry in my pocket anytime we are out fishing. These numbers have been refined by me several times and seem to be close to correct. This card is the heart of my trolling program. Remember I am running 2.5 to 3 mph and using 12-pound diameter, 30-pound test fire line so if you are not at the exact same speed and line size you depth may very.

This is the first time I have published this chart but wanted to do something for you for Christmas. I wish each and every one of you and your families the best. May God bless you each and everyone.

dean

Size 1

Jet Diver

Dipsy

Base
Set

Size

Depth

Feet Back

Depth

bombcast
04-02-2004, 08:47 PM
They're great with Fireline and spinners on Sag Bay. 10's on the outside boards, 20's on shorter leads on the inside boards. Beats the heck out of Pa's. I run the clear ones exclusively, and run 8-10' leaders on the spinner rigs.

catchnrelease
04-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Can you please provide theat info in a reader friendly format. It's great info and sure would love to have it to try.

Thanks...

double trouble
04-05-2004, 09:07 PM
the above charts were written by a charter captain on another site. i just pasted it here... Dan

catchnrelease
04-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Thanks -- I'll try and figure it out.

catchnrelease
04-06-2004, 08:00 AM
Found this chart: http://www.luhrjensen.com/tr_diver_planer_depth_data.htm

karl.d
04-06-2004, 08:15 AM
check this:

http://www.straitlineanglers.com/Articles/Depth_Chart_For_Diving_Planers.htm

catchnrelease
04-06-2004, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the dive table...

Just got an email from Luhr Jensen. They have a dive table on the new magnum size. I'll scan and post when I get it.

catchnrelease
04-06-2004, 08:37 PM
Hope this pic comes through -- my first time. Anyway, this table is what I made of your earlier post. The jet diver table is close to the Luhr Jensen. Not sure about the dipsy table.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/531/4391Depth_Table-med.jpg

catchnrelease
04-10-2004, 09:15 PM
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/531/4391LJ_Mag_Dipsy_01-03_Depth_Chart_resize.jpg