PDA

View Full Version : hunting accident

hunting with chuba
09-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Michigan teen dies in apparent hunting accident
St. Clair County sheriff says Devon Derouin was accidentally shot by hunter Thursday evening

BROCKWAY TOWNSHIP, Mich. - A 17-year-old Brockway Township teen was shot and killed Thursday in what appears to be a hunting accident.

St. Clair County Sheriff Tim Donnellon said Devon Derouin was scouting for deer on property in the 12000 block of Wilkes Road at about 7:30 p.m.

At the same time, three hunters had been given permission to hunt coyote on the same parcel of land. One of the hunters, a 24-year-old man from Port Huron Township, saw movement in brush at the base of a tree. Believing it was an animal, he fired one shot from a distance of about 150 yards.

Detectives from the Sheriff’s Office were called to the scene of the incident, which remains under investigation. All parties involved have been cooperative in the investigation of the incident. Yale and Capac Police Departments, Brockway Fire and Rescue and Tri-Hospital EMS assisted at the scene.

TVCEAST05
09-21-2012, 11:31 AM
Two brothers from my home town (North Branch) were shot up in Alaska. One of them lives up there and the other was up bear hunting. Some guys my dad knows were going to go with them but they didn't get drawn for a moose tag. Kind of scary.

http://www.anchoragepress.com/news/two-hunters-shot-near-kiana/article_e21d9a78-02d4-11e2-867b-0019bb2963f4.html

Sam22
09-21-2012, 11:32 AM
What a terrible tragedy.

Know your target and what is beyond it.

Three guys walking around hunting coyotes? sounds fishy. Coyotes aren't squirrels, you don't just go walk around and look for them.

downfloat
09-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Both are terrible stories! My thoughts go out to both families! How easily basic hunting knowledge is forgotten!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

NonTypicalCPA
09-21-2012, 11:44 AM
I was just having this conversation with my 10 year old son - you don't go shooting at "movement" no matter how bad you want to shoot that trophy buck, etc. You identify your target first. Crazy that people get killed each year with this type of accident.

EdB
09-21-2012, 11:45 AM
I would not consider this an accident, it is negligence on the part of the shooter. If a person cannot restrain their trigger long enough to identify the difference between a person and a coyote or a deer, they are an idiot.

Darkmind
09-21-2012, 11:50 AM
I would not consider this an accident, it is negligence on the part of the shooter. If a person cannot restrain their trigger long enough to identify the difference between a person and a coyote or a deer, they are an idiot.

Agreed 100%

This is the same thought process I was having while reading that story.

Neal
09-21-2012, 11:57 AM

Took the words out of my mouth, Ed

soggybtmboys
09-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Negligent homicide

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

atr2425
09-21-2012, 12:51 PM

you sir, have this exactly correct.

2PawsRiver
09-21-2012, 01:04 PM

I agree as well...........should be prosecuted.

vsmorgantown
09-21-2012, 01:22 PM
No excuse for this sort of thing to happen. Too many stories of this exact thing over the years.
I have always taught my daughter, who hunts with me, you never even take the safety off or even point a gun at anything that you are unsure of and cannot positively identify.
Another thing that makes me mad is when someone says they "took a shot at a deer" and when you ask them if it was a buck or doe they can't tell you!?! Then I ask them if you couldnt tell if it was a buck or doe how do you know it wasnt a guy wearing a tan suede jacket?Another thing I teach my daughter, if you cannot tell if its a buck or doe.......no shooting.
Sad story and my heart goes out to the grieving family.

monroeboy1
09-21-2012, 01:37 PM

:yeahthat:

Need to identify what you are shooting at.

buckwacker 48097
09-21-2012, 01:42 PM
This is in my "neck of the woods" and I know the family of the victim. I'm going to wait for more information before I say much but with the youth season right around the corner 2 thoughts enter my mind... #1 it does sound a bit fishy in that maybe someone wanted a jump on the season ( I don't know many coyote hunters out there right now hunting in that way)...#2 lets all try to be very careful and teach the kids the right and wrong way to do things and be safe during the youth season.

bigbuckmiddaugh
09-21-2012, 01:49 PM

no kidding!

hartman756
09-21-2012, 02:06 PM
A few years ago there was a guy that worked a double shift at work along with starting new medication.....he crossed the center line and hit another car and killd them.........it was just an accident(prosucuters words in court) but he was responsible becous of the new meds and working two shifts and not getting any sleep befor getting in his car......he went to prison. But whenever something like this happens it seems like there is never any prosucution and prison time for the shooter.........

c hartman

johnhunter247
09-21-2012, 03:03 PM
My heart goes out to the family that has to bury there child! As for the stupidity and irresponsibility of the jackass that shot at movement from 150yds away, I hope the judge doesn't go easy on him! The family of the victim doesn't get there child back! Very sad! Common sense should have prevailed!

jmoser
09-21-2012, 03:56 PM
This happened around 7:30 last night - Sunset today is 7:31 PM so shooting light was obviously not the best - all the more reason to triple check ID your target and beyond.

Tragedy but 100% avoidable and as bad as the shooter must feel he must be held fully responsible.

limige
09-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Not only homicide but the coyote hunting season doesn't start till Oct 15. Only animals about to do damage on private land can be killed. They were breaking the game laws as well.

I don't think the news should be allowed to label this a hunting accident it was nothing of the sort. An act of stupidity is more like it

NorthWoodsHunter
09-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Not only homicide but the coyote hunting season doesn't start till Oct 15. Only animals about to do damage on private land can be killed. They were breaking the game laws as well.

I don't think the news should be allowed to label this a hunting accident it was nothing of the sort. An act of stupidity is more like it

Coyote Hunting Season:
Statewide July 15 - April 15

NorthWoodsHunter
09-21-2012, 04:15 PM
truely a tragedy to lose a young hunter to stupidity like this.
I'd imagine his conscience will weigh on the shooter far worse than anything a judge can throw at him.

TEACH YOUR KIDS PROPER GUN SAFETY!

limige
09-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Coyote Hunting Season:
Statewide July 15 - April 15

I stand corrected I missed the wording

gear_383
12-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Well the guy who shot devon got a slap on the wrist. 11 months in jail with work release. talk about your injustice, and shame on the court system. this was a young man, not an animal. It just makes me mad that someone got away with murder.

BAY CREEPER
12-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Well the guy who shot devon got a slap on the wrist. 11 months in jail with work release. talk about your injustice, and shame on the court system. this was a young man, not an animal. It just makes me mad that someone got away with murder.

That's terrible. No hope for the human race. RIP young man

GreedyMutha
12-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I am good friends with Devon's brother and was shocked, saddened and angered when I heard about this. Devon and his father actually processed my deer for me a few years ago and he was a true hunter/sportsman. Just a complete shame and the ridiculous sentence only makes it worse. This was not an 'accident'. Anyone who shoots without definite identification of what they are shooting at, is not a hunter.

TSudz
12-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Wow...I can't believe that this person is allowed to go back and be part of society after his stupidity cost a life. People goofin' off in cars get worse than this don't they? Any word on the shooter's ability to purchase firearms or hunting licenses in the future?

Wow...11 months, he gets to go out for work, and we foot the bill for room and board.

Any knowledge of the judge? I want him to hear my case if I ever get thrown in jail.

I can't imagine how this could even happen. If you 'see' something 150 yards away in low light, you must not be in very dense woods, especially if you get a bullet there. How in the world do you mistake a small dog for a 6 ft tall (give or take) two legged person? What did he do, catch something out of the corner of his eye, pull up his fancy new AR and fill the area with lead? That kind of stupid needs to come out of the gene pool - castration and a many years behind bars, only getting out to clean highways, toilets, and bed pans.

bowhunter19
12-13-2012, 12:49 PM
What was he charged with? Manslaughter or reckless discharge of a firearm causing death?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

jrv
12-13-2012, 01:06 PM
The judge should be prosecuted! What a slap in the face to the family of the victim. My heart goes out to them.
posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

GreedyMutha
12-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Here is a link to his family and friend's Facebook Page with all the updates and info.

https://www.facebook.com/JusticeForDevonDerouin

bowhunter19
12-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Didn't see it anywhere on there? only seen people promoting things

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)