PDA

View Full Version : Where to purchase a Prime Rib?

Copper44
04-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Well looking to get a good prime rib for the Easter dinner next weeekend. I'm located in Saginaw, but let me know if you got some place that has good stuff! Looking for USDA Prime, Prime Rib...

CAPT HEAVY
04-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Tough to find!! I live near Alpena and my prospects of a decent meal are worse than yours. Thinking of making it myself. Good luck.

GuppyII
04-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Go to Jack's on bay rd and ask them to order it.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

Sampsons_owner
04-15-2011, 11:23 AM
When we lived in Midland we would buy meat at Jacks meat market. I believe they have one in Shields on 46, Bay city, and Midland. Steve

jmessenger
04-15-2011, 11:24 AM
gfs has the best!

Copper44
04-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Yea I usually go to Jacks on Gratiot, only live a few minutes away from there. Never thought to call and have them order something direct. I'll have to look into it, thanks.

RichP
04-15-2011, 12:50 PM
gfs has the best!

I usually like prime rib from there too. Last time I picked one up from there though more than half of it was fat, grrr....

Copper44
04-15-2011, 01:26 PM
I usually like prime rib from there too. Last time I picked one up from there though more than half of it was fat, grrr....

Read more at Michigan-Sportsman.com: The Michigan Sportsman Forums - Reply to Topic (http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3629615#ixzz1JcMAFCcs) http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3629615#ixzz1JcMAFCcs

Thats exactly why i wanted to try a USDA Prime, hoping for less fat

WALLEYE MIKE
04-15-2011, 02:52 PM

Read more at Michigan-Sportsman.com: The Michigan Sportsman Forums - Reply to Topic (http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3629615#ixzz1JcMAFCcs) http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3629615#ixzz1JcMAFCcs

Thats exactly why i wanted to try a USDA Prime, hoping for less fat

Prime will have the most fat. Choice will have less and select even less.

Oldgrandman
04-15-2011, 04:03 PM
The actual prime grade of meat is not as widely obtainable as choice, next in line of the meat grades. It is generally sold to the better restaurants and high end institutions such as country clubs and big hotels. It can be had though. It may be worth getting in touch with a butcher shop or meat vendor and inquiring about the prime grades availability to them. Use the term prime grade. Rarely I have seen it at my favorite butcher shop here in GR, Sobies Meats.

Like the zander/perch thing, I am often skeptical when I see "prime rib" for sale at your average retailer, especially on sale. Not saying it isn't, I am just not sure about how legitimate the claim that it is actually prime grade.

WALLEYE MIKE
04-15-2011, 04:08 PM
The actual prime grade of meat is not as widely obtainable as choice, next in line of the meat grades. It is generally sold to the better restaurants and high end institutions such as country clubs and big hotels. It can be had though. It may be worth getting in touch with a butcher shop or meat vendor and inquiring about the prime grades availability to them. Use the term prime grade. Rarely I have seen it at my favorite butcher shop here in GR, Sobies Meats.

Like the zander/perch thing, I am often skeptical when I see "prime rib" for sale at your average retailer, especially on sale. Not saying it isn't, I am just not sure about how legitimate the claim that it is actually prime grade.

Chances are he got a choice grade of "prime rib". The flavor is in the fat. No fat less taste.

Scott Meats
04-15-2011, 04:40 PM
I've owned Scott Meats,Inc. for almost 30 yrs. and can't remember the last time I seen any beef actually rolled prime. U.s.d.a.Choice will be just fine "if". Get it from a small enough shop that still buys carcass cattle- hanging 1/4's of beef. All others have been cryovaced and or gassed (co2 or nowdays co1 that's right, carbon monoxide) to prolong shelf life. Beef hung uncovered and killed at least a few weeks is what your looking for. I would have them cut the bone off, season it , and retie the bone back on. The extra thickness and cover with bone will take longer to cook, the longer the better. AND ALWAYS use a themometer, dinner is served when the thermometer says so! Your going to spend a hundred bucks on a full size roast - it- is the priority.
I'm over in Muskegon or I would hook you right up, we still use carcass cattle and nowdays everyone asks why our beef tastes so good. It tastes like beef always has - all the embalmbed beef everyone else sells now just sucks!

Oldgrandman
04-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Chances are he got a choice grade of "prime rib". The flavor is in the fat. No fat less taste.

Yup. I was in the meat processing business for 4 years. Prime quarters were very rare to get and they were held for the "upper echelon" of our customer base, usually private individuals since we were mostly a local operation.
Might be a new crusade for you or me WM, exposing the "prime fašade" if you will, ;)

OGM- So, I see you have all you can eat prime rib on the menu...
EO- Yes we do, would you like to make an order?
OGM- We'll see about that.....

DAA DAA-DUND DUNDT! :lol:

doublell
04-15-2011, 06:20 PM

Sobies meats terrific. Best kielbasa around. Picked up some flat iron steaks the other day that were terrific in a stir fry. If your a smoker of meats tell them what you want and they will get it for you.
Local pork is outstanding

Ole Spike
04-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Do yourself a favor and go get a prime rib at Sam's Club in Saginaw. I'm not kidding, its the best I've ever had and I have eaten prime rib at quite a few places. No kidding. It's very good. They usually have an end cap cooler full of them.

doublell
04-15-2011, 06:33 PM
If you really want a first class prime rib go to Montelos meat market in holland. This Is a true old style butcher shop like Sobies but they only buy local beef raised to their specs. They butcher it on site and dry age it 14 to 21 days for GREAT flavor. They have a good website.It's pricey but worth it for a special occasion.

Oldgrandman
04-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Sobies meats terrific. Best kielbasa around. Picked up some flat iron steaks the other day that were terrific in a stir fry. If your a smoker of meats tell them what you want and they will get it for you.
Local pork is outstanding

Yeah, they are my weekly stop and shop for meats. I have had them smoke some chicken thighs for me and it is awsome. They will special cut a lot of things for you if you just ask them to. Often I have them cut me a ribeye steak or rib/chuck roast if one is not on the shelf that I like. They'll do it if they have it on hand.
One of the friendliest places I have ever shopped at. Grand Rapids has a lot of good meat markets to shop at and this is about as good as it gets. Love those medium sticks with cheese too!!!
They handle a lot of local products (pork-eggs-milk) and that is another good reason to shop there.

Help keep Tim and Teresa in business all you GR meat shoppers and visit Sobies Meats regularly! (My brother works for the company that distributes to them a lot of their products... ;))

doublell
04-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Yeah, they are my weekly stop and shop for meats. I have had them smoke some chicken thighs for me and it is awsome. They will special cut a lot of things for you if you just ask them to. Often I have them cut me a ribeye steak or rib/chuck roast if one is not on the shelf that I like. They'll do it if they have it on hand.
One of the friendliest places I have ever shopped at. Grand Rapids has a lot of good meat markets to shop at and this is about as good as it gets. Love those medium sticks with cheese too!!!
They handle a lot of local products (pork-eggs-milk) and that is another good reason to shop there.

Help keep Tim and Teresa in business all you GR meat shoppers and visit Sobies Meats regularly! (My brother works for the company that distributes to them a lot of their products... ;))Put that meat stick in the micro for about 5 seconds .taste like it just came out of the smoke house. I like the hot with cheese.

Copper44
04-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks for all the options guys, was at Meijers and saw the cooler end cap with some for 5.99/lb and then in the class case they what must be the next step up in grade at 8.99/lb. Last year we got the 5.99/lb special and it basically had more fat then edible meat. I know some fat is good but this was just too much.

leafybug
04-18-2011, 07:01 AM
Ted's market in Saginaw. Yup it's that little yellowish place that is still owned by the same butcher even though it sits in wal-marts shadow. I for one would never again buy any meat other than kogels from Jack's market. I know one of their managers and they get most of their supply from dealers at Eastern Market in Detroit. I got a large order of pig from them a couple years back and it was all over a year expired and they said it's ok because its frozen, when we unthawed some, it smelled like a rotting carcass. Colony's meats in Grand Blanc is great as well, they are mostly supplied by Abbotts Meats which is a great family business and they care about what they sell. Still, the best, like someone said, is hanging dry aged beef but your gonna pay for it (it's worth it). Good luck!

trailwart
04-18-2011, 07:36 AM
what about bernthals off of junction rd. headed towards frankenmuth. they might be an option.

Papa Greco
04-29-2011, 04:02 PM
I've owned Scott Meats,Inc. for almost 30 yrs. and can't remember the last time I seen any beef actually rolled prime. U.s.d.a.Choice will be just fine "if". Get it from a small enough shop that still buys carcass cattle- hanging 1/4's of beef. All others have been cryovaced and or gassed (co2 or nowdays co1 that's right, carbon monoxide) to prolong shelf life. Beef hung uncovered and killed at least a few weeks is what your looking for. I would have them cut the bone off, season it , and retie the bone back on. The extra thickness and cover with bone will take longer to cook, the longer the better. AND ALWAYS use a themometer, dinner is served when the thermometer says so! Your going to spend a hundred bucks on a full size roast - it- is the priority.
I'm over in Muskegon or I would hook you right up, we still use carcass cattle and nowdays everyone asks why our beef tastes so good. It tastes like beef always has - all the embalmbed beef everyone else sells now just sucks!

I might just have to take a road trip to Muskegon. Your place is the kind I would like to buy meat from. I can buy anything in cyro, but I realize it isn't the best. I can also buy directly from the farmer, but I can't handle a half or quarter at a time.

Do you sell pork/lamb/goat like that also? I make a lot of sausage (have a sausage seasoning company that advertising in the text ads on this website) and am always looking for good meat. You can have the best seasonings in the world, if you don't use good meat you don't have good sausage.

Mike (Papa) Greco
www.papagrecos.com (http://www.papagrecos.com)

jakeo
04-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Gordon Foods.....Its AWESOME!!

ScavengerMan
04-30-2011, 05:05 PM

Great advise......

MSUICEMAN
04-30-2011, 07:15 PM
costco had some graded prime rib roasts the other time i was there that looked fantastic. if they still have some next time i stop by, I will let ya know how they are.