PDA

View Full Version : Best frozen, pre-formed, burger patties?

luv2havemoartime
11-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Without expaining why, this is what I need, a BUNCH for deer camp. Anyone know of good, frozen, big burger patties?

DeerManager
11-08-2010, 09:16 PM
whatever you do, DO NOT get the white, red and blue box at meijer..... Texture and taste is NASTY, first ingredient is beef hearts. I like organ meat just as much as the next guy, but not in burgers....

jimp
11-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Can't recommend ANY burgers yet - although I've looked too, even the pricey Bubba Burgers.
They all taste freezer burnt and like phony meat substitutes.

I WILL recommend Walmart's Great Value frozen precooked sausage patties, big enough to fit a bisquit or muffin (3 1/2"d). Nuke them or heat in a pan for a couple minutes. I premake a couple at night with a nuked scrambled egg, add cheese. 2 minute reheat = breakfast on the way out the door. 2 lb recloseable bag, about 14-16(?) patties = $4.32. Several flavors, original(very good), spicy and maple (haven't tried).

Zofchak
11-08-2010, 09:52 PM
bubba-burger.com

Only had them one time, but they were surprisingly good for a frozen patty burger.

bucko12pt
11-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Gordon Food Service burgers are decent.

RoadKillCafe
11-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Gordon Food Service burgers are decent.

There's a box of 50 at GFS that come pre-cooked that are surprisingly good. No shrinkage.

bigcountrysg
11-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Gordon Foods has some good ones

sullyxlh
11-09-2010, 05:56 AM
There is NO good frozen premade anything
Burger is only a $1 per pound so you'd be better off pat'n your own.

Beside no hunter in their right mind would bring frozen food to a deer camp.
Wudda ya think'n????:SHOCKED:

Hookineyezz
11-09-2010, 06:26 AM
The angus patties at Gordon food service.

MSUICEMAN
11-09-2010, 07:18 AM
costco 1/3 lbers are pretty darn good if i do say so myself, as are the sams club version.

William H Bonney
11-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Just buy a few cases of frozen White Castles and heat 'em up by the fire, not as good as the fresh ones, but they'll work.

RichP
11-09-2010, 07:36 AM

Gotta respectfully disagree with this.

I LOVE Original Bubba Burgers.

I see someone posted the URL above for them, but you can also usually find them at Meijer.

Ron L
11-09-2010, 07:38 AM
The angus patties at Gordon food service.

+1 - we used to cook them for the kids' football games and they're pretty good.

Burksee
11-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Without expaining why, this is what I need, a BUNCH for deer camp. Anyone know of good, frozen, big burger patties?luv2, Stop in at the GFS near Pontiac Lake Rd & M59, across from Miejers. ;)

Sib
11-09-2010, 07:56 AM
We tried Bar (can't remember the letter) Burgers once. Pure crap, if you see it run!

I pattie my own a vacuum seal them. Add some worcestershire sauce, pepper, montreal. :corkysm55

imjon
11-09-2010, 08:35 AM
I'll second the buy a package of burger meat. Just use the lid of a Jif jar or something similar in size to make patty's.
Cheaper than buying a patty maker and the perfect size for patty's.

jackbob42
11-09-2010, 08:40 AM
.....Beside no hunter in their right mind would bring frozen food to a deer camp.

I agree.
Fresh burger all the way.
Directions...........

1 - Roll 1/4 lb of burger into meatball.
2 - Raise arm.
3 - Place meatball into armpit.
4 - Lower arm tightly to side.
5 - Raise arm and catch patty.
6 - Cook as desired.

CUB44
11-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Don't know the brand name but Sam's club sells a box of burgers pre-mixed with cheese & bacon that are phenomenal. They come in boxes of 12 and works out to be around $3.00 a lb., about that same price as good ground round. Try 'em, you'll love 'em.

ESOX
11-09-2010, 08:45 AM
bubba-burger.com

Only had them one time, but they were surprisingly good for a frozen patty burger.
We had those when feeding an army. Good, But they sure ain't cheap.
Usually we go to the butcher they will make them up, pack them and freeze them. Best thing about that is I can get a coarser grind, a little extra fat and less water into my chuck compared to what they put out for sale. I usually pay about the same as counter meat.

Silver Panner
11-09-2010, 08:51 AM
If you go with Gordons, I found the 80/20 1/3lbs burgers were the best. You get 20 in a box (i think) and the price isn't to bad.

Riva
11-09-2010, 09:44 AM
If you look closely at many of the frozen burger products out there, you might give second thoughts to purchasing them. Just look at the "Nutritional Facts". While the meat may be 80/20, the "total calories" vesrus calories "from fat" is almost the opposite; 400 calories / calories from fat 320. "Salt" (a preservative) can make up for as much 1% of the each burger's content. Then, to make them so they don't dry out while cooking, they mix in cooking oils. (ever "fry" a burger?)

And, as far as taste, here's the real culprit--Soy. Look at the label and see if they mix the meat with soy as a filler and to add weight. Soy is what makes the burger bland as hell, IMHO. If you want to recapture some of the burger taste, simply sprinkle with Montreal steak seasoning and it will overcome the soy effect.

Finally, most frozen burgers taste like hell because they are WAY overcooked. You'll find that they have better taste at medium to medium-well versus what they recommend on the package, which totally dries them out.

Best bet, buy fresh.

HTC
11-09-2010, 10:56 AM
In my butcher shop I have one of the Cabelas patty makers that goes on the end of my grinder. If you were ever interested in one or wondered if they work I can tell you they work great. I have put thousands out of mine.

It is a definite two person operation. Whether I am processing one of my steers or a deer I can make 4-5 1/3lb burgers per minute. While I have a somewhat large number 32 neck on my grinder due to the small inlet hole on the patty maker most of you could achieve this rate of speed.

Beyond the grinder and attachment I would recommend you get a foot pedal control for the grinder, patty paper and beer. You grind the meat once, remove the grinding plate and send it through.

welcometomyworld
11-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Costco.

So-hooked
11-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Just buy a few cases of frozen White Castles and heat 'em up by the fire, not as good as the fresh ones, but they'll work.

Man I’d hate to be at deer camp with you or anybody if they brought up White castle…..:yikes::help::evil:

Spanky
11-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Pre-made frozen burgers are junk. Take lots of toilet paper and pepto bismal .

make them yourself and freeze. That way you won't be crappin when you should be hunting or sleeping.:D

neil duffey
11-10-2010, 12:55 PM
im sorry, i dont care what they are made of, the red white and blue box from meijer is just fine by me. i look forward to a burger at my buddies house when he has them. they arent the best, but im not going to turn my nose up at em... dead cow is dead cow and once i got the condiments on it, it doesnt bother me a bit.

i just made two makers mark burgers... yeah sams club. they where good too. nothing i would write home about, but unless its mcdonals, its kinda hard to make a bad burger.

Spanky
11-10-2010, 01:42 PM
i look forward to a burger at my buddies house when he has them. they arent the best, but im not going to turn my nose up at em... dead cow is dead cow and once i got the condiments on it, it doesnt bother me a bit.

hehehe, well alrighty then.:coco:

neil duffey
11-10-2010, 03:39 PM
hehehe, well alrighty then.:coco:

lmao :lol: i said its not the best... but ill eat just about any "burger" those where good though. to us at least. :lol:

midwestfisherman
11-10-2010, 04:16 PM
I prefer the frozen Elk patties from the House of Meats in Toledo. :)

jpollman
11-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Burger is only a $1 per pound so you'd be better off pat'n your own.

Beside no hunter in their right mind would bring frozen food to a deer camp.

A buck a pound for hamburger?!

The store you're buying that at isn't in close proximity to a race track is it? :evil: I was at Kroger today and the cheapest grade they sell is 73/27 burger and it's $1.99.

John

jpollman
11-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Pre-made frozen burgers are junk. Take lots of toilet paper and pepto bismal .

make them yourself and freeze. That way you won't be crappin when you should be hunting or sleeping.:D

Or WHILE you're hunting or sleeping! :lol::lol::lol:

John

jimp
11-10-2010, 10:58 PM
A buck a pound for hamburger?!

The store you're buying that at isn't in close proximity to a race track is it? :evil: I was at Kroger today and the cheapest grade they sell is 73/27 burger and it's $1.99.

John

:lol::lol::lol:

Or, there's a big "Reduced" sticker on the brown and green speckled meat.

I Remember years ago "Jack in the Box" was busted for using Kangaroo in the mix.