PDA

View Full Version : Field Bred English Cockers

rfrf
11-04-2010, 07:55 AM
I have been reading alot about Field Bred English Cockers. They sound like a great fun loving dog. Any input you guys have is welcome. Any good field bred English Cocker breeders in Michigan ?

Thanks,
rfrf

2ESRGR8
11-04-2010, 08:23 AM
I hunted over a fbecs this Fall and he was a fantastic little dog.
I could rack up huge kill numbers over that dog if I owned him.
I enjoyed him in the field and at camp at night so much that he has swayed me from the constant state of Springer envy I have been in for years now.
This dog was big for the breed, about a 32 lb. male(I think), had more bone and muscle mass than fbecs dogs I had seen in the past and more endurance.
He came out of Minnesota: http://www.workingenglishcockers.com/Home.html

METRO1
11-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Great dogs, i have 2 , i also have a litter right now, great bloodlines, i run them in competitions and also guide with them at clubs, i ve had f,b, springers and cockers, been training and hunting them for 20 years, i can t believe its been that long,if interested call 313 587 4351, some people on this site have seen them run , i ran them in ruff grouse trail , also guided hunts for some guys on here,

NATTY BUMPO
11-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Any input you guys have is welcome. Any good field bred English Cocker breeders in Michigan ?

Thanks,
rfrf

Great little dogs which hunt much bigger than their size. I have a pair, both males, which are in the 33-35# range before the season. Just back from a week chasing ringnecks in SoDak. There were several breeds of dogs in camp, and I'll just say that the Cockers produced their share of birds.

There is only one breeder of FBECS of note in Michigan:Bramblewood Kennels in Durand. Andrea and Ernie Hasse have top drawer dogs from the best bloodlines but dont do a whole lot of breeding. Great folks. You can contact them at: bramblwd@tir.com

The other top drawer breeders of FBECS can be found at the fieldcockers site: fieldcockers.com. You can also view the results of the recently completed Cocker NC on there. Two breeders claimed most of the placements and HMs, Oahe and Glencoe, both near Bismark, ND. PM me if you would like detailed information on these two breeders.

NB

Rysalka
11-04-2010, 11:06 AM
I enjoyed him in the field and at camp at night so much that he has swayed me from the constant state of Springer envy I have been in for years now.

I to have a new fondness for the Field Bred Cocker...I have a small springer 35 lbs (Parents are English Imports) who is often mistaken for a Field Bred Cocker and if they can hold a candle to him, my next dog will be a Cocker.......and from what I have read they can and will.

michgundog
11-04-2010, 12:16 PM
They are great dogs, very capable of hunting all game bird species. I know a lot of people who have them and are very pleased w/ them. If the breeders in Michigan don't have what your looking for try calling Jim Karlovec: http://www.flushingstar.com/ I'm not certain if he has any available right now, but he breeds some top quality FBEC's, would be worth the wait.

METRO1
11-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Just wondered if michgundog has ever visited his kennel, (flushingstarkennel)

michgundog
11-04-2010, 03:21 PM
:confused:Just wondered if michgundog has ever visited his kennel, (flushingstarkennel)

Several times.

Why do ask, have you??

METRO1
11-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Plenty of times, what do u think of them

Birddog8487
11-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I'll second Flushing Star. Jim has been fair in his dealings with me and the dogs I bought from him were excellent. The place is nothing special but his dogs speak for themselves.

michgundog
11-07-2010, 01:55 PM
The place is nothing special but his dogs speak for themselves.

Well said!!

browndog49735
11-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Interesting thread.

these little bundles are on my next gotta have list.

The best i have talked to and visited (and there are several)is by far earnie and andrea hasse at bramblewood top knotch no bs from them.

i beleave and someone may correct but i beleave they have more proven in the field (FC/AFC)cockers than anyone.

michgundog
11-07-2010, 10:02 PM
You may want to ask Natty B, he knows the breed real well, this portion of of his post seems dead on:

"The other top drawer breeders of FBECS can be found at the fieldcockers site: fieldcockers.com. You can also view the results of the recently completed Cocker NC on there. Two breeders claimed most of the placements and HMs, Oahe and Glencoe, both near Bismark, ND. PM me if you would like detailed information on these two breeders."

dauber
11-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Great little dogs. My wife and I have 2 right now and love our little "pocket rockets". Just got back from chasing pheasants out west and both the 1year old youngester and 7 year old "pro" did well and held up well for our 12 days of hunting. The one problem with finding well bred field ECS is that most of the top breeders don't have many litters a year. The Hasse's are fantasic and we have gotten 2 from them, Ernie and Andrea are great people. Fallen Wings http://www.fallenwing.com/ near Green Bay, WI have excellent dogs as well. Dartwood http://darttwood.spaces.live.com/default.aspx from Mn. is where we got our last one who is doing very good for a 1 year old.

If you get a chance go to a field trial where you can walk right behind the action and see 2 dogs working at a time. Michigan usually has a trial each fall. Check out Field Cockers http://www.fieldcockers.com/index.html for lots of good info.

JackieTreeHorn
11-11-2010, 09:24 PM
If I ever got a tatoo, it would say Flushing Star. Period. I've had three, and will continue to buy his dogs as long as he breeds them. I could give a damn about how his kennel appears, because it is good enough for the best of dogs to get their start in. Anyone who says otherwise is speaking nonsense.