PDA

View Full Version : Deepest & widest 16' Aluminum boat w/ tiller steering

sgc
07-06-2010, 03:20 PM
What is the deepest & widest 16' aluminum boat with tiller steering? Looking to start fishing again; probably mostly in Trenton channel, Detroit river & lake Erie. Also, some bigger lakes in the North.

yellowbelly80
07-06-2010, 03:57 PM
mike the elder has a 16' princecraft that has close to a 6' beam...its a sweet river machine... http://www.princecraft.com/Content/en-US/produit/636/Holiday-DLX-BT.aspx

ESOX
07-06-2010, 04:11 PM
This thing is built as well or better than the big name boats. It's rated for 75HP, but the one I was in scooted along nicely with a 50hp 4 stroke. It would be a racket with a 75.
With it's 92" beam it is roomy and stable, even with some economy sized guys in it.
http://www.g3boats.com/AnglerVSeries/V162T/

This one isn't quite as wide, but I am sure more economical:

http://www.g3boats.com/AnglerVSeries/V167T/

sgc
07-06-2010, 04:15 PM
I never heard of tiller steering a 60 hp !

ESOX
07-06-2010, 04:17 PM
I never heard of tiller steering a 60 hp !

A couple weeks ago I drove a 150 HP tiller. And they come bigger.

wally-eye
07-06-2010, 04:23 PM
A couple weeks ago I drove a 150 HP tiller. And they come bigger.

Believe tillers are up to 200 hp now.......:yikes: That would be a rush...:lol:

MiketheElder
07-06-2010, 04:42 PM
http://www.princecraft.com/Content/en-US/produit/630/Holiday.aspx

This is the right one.

MiketheElder
07-06-2010, 04:44 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh115/Miketheelder/P1010027.jpg

ESOX
07-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Wow Mike, even the boat. You really do love the blues. :coolgleam

48180 Hunter
07-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Hewescraft makes a real nice one called open fisherman that comes in 16 18 and 20 foot, only bad part is the closet dealer is in Indiana but they will deliver to the state line for just a buck.

10 ring
07-06-2010, 07:24 PM
I had a Princecraft pro168 springbok tiller it had a 84" beam. Was a great boat should never have sold it. I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed with one. I had it on the Sag bay but you had to pick your days.

BigWoods Bob
07-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Not sure if they still make them, but I have a 16' Smoker Craft Pro Tiller. It is deep, wide and most of all Heavy. I've had it in up to 9' waves (not by choice) and it has handled anything I felt like fishing in. I've had it since 1993 and it has held up very well. Might be worth a look....

Tailchaser
07-06-2010, 09:13 PM
I was looking at a Allumcraft at Cabela's. A 165 classic & it's a welded hull. I believe the G3 & princecrafts have a rivet hull. Any preference between the 2 hulls. I also owned a 16ft. crestliner fishhawk with light biege carpet. It's a great boat except I would not own another fishing boat with carpet floors. I see more fishing boats are installing vinyle flooring & i like that idea a lot. It could be a little slippery with morning dew.Have any of you guys had experience with the new floors verus carpet?

JLP
07-06-2010, 09:26 PM
what is the attraction to the tiller motors? price? space? i see a lot of people use them, but it doesnt seem like it would be very convenient.

KI Jim
07-06-2010, 09:41 PM
I have a strong preference for the Lund WC-16. Basic, tough, exceedingly great performance. I am a big fan of Lunds, I own 2-an A-14 and a Tyee 185. My brother has a WC-16 with a 25 hp Yamaha. I have used it several times and have been really impressed-a really great rig.

A 25 is plenty on a well built 16 tiller. Small, lightweight and super manueverable. Top end will be around 30. Go much bigger and you will put a lot more$$ into it. Also, with a 16', you can only go so fast over the chop, otherwise you'll beat yourself to death.

jim

yellowbelly80
07-06-2010, 11:39 PM
I was looking at a Allumcraft at Cabela's. A 165 classic & it's a welded hull. I believe the G3 & princecrafts have a rivet hull. Any preference between the 2 hulls. I also owned a 16ft. crestliner fishhawk with light biege carpet. It's a great boat except I would not own another fishing boat with carpet floors. I see more fishing boats are installing vinyle flooring & i like that idea a lot. It could be a little slippery with morning dew.Have any of you guys had experience with the new floors verus carpet?
welded hulls = cracks..they ride nice but they will give over time

sigman
07-07-2010, 12:27 AM
Had a Tracker that leaked so bad I had to Put a biger bilge in it(riveted hull). Have a Lowe with a lot bigger beam and welded hull. Never leaks a drop. If your gonna use a lot of live bait like me dont get carpet.

sgc
07-07-2010, 06:07 AM
Yes, I had a Lund Alaskan 18 footer years ago, but sold it. Wish I still had it. The only problem was seeing over the front end. Just my opinion, but I think an 18 footer is a little too long for tiller steering. Whats the quality like on the Princecraft (as good as Lund)?

WoodTick007
07-07-2010, 07:04 AM
I have a 16ft lowe with a 60 hp johnson that is setup with both a consule and a tiller steering. I like it that way.....when I am trolling in the lake or cruising long distances (like west or middle sister) it is nice to steer from the console....but when I am fishing the river I like to steer from the back tiller. I have my kicker connected with en E-Z-Steer so once my kicker speed is set I can just control the boat with the big motor's tiller handle. The tiller till also comes in handy trolling alone in the lake when setting riggers or planner line I can keep the boat on straight unline tangling course. LOL Just get both....you will not regret it!

Steelmon
07-07-2010, 08:01 AM
I look at boats every day on Craig's List, after I check out the forum. I've been doing this since winter in search of that perfect machine on the cheap :lol:. That G3 is one of the deepest and widest 16 footers I've ever seen. A 92" beam on a 16 footer is awesome. I'm not sure of that construction though but you can google them to look for reviews.

Welds crack and rivets pop. They use rivets in airplanes but that may be because they are lighter than spot welds. I don't think welds or rivets should be an issue when you choose a boat. The vinyl flooring is usually textured to prevent slipping on morning dew.

I prefer a Center Console myself. You sit up higher so it's easier to see and get up to move forward and aft. It's easy to fish from the helm too. I've had 2 of them as well as tillers, side consoles, and full consoles. The CCs were my favorite by far. The floors are textured glass and oh-so-easy to clean.

jimbobway
07-07-2010, 08:16 AM
When setting up riggers on a tiller boat ,should they be off the back or off the sides more forward so you can set the without turning around ? I have a16ft Meyers that had center steering and rated for 60 hp , removed the CC ,put on a 25 4 stroke Johnson. This boat has large gunnels and lot's of floatation ,heavier than most .

DoubleJay
07-07-2010, 09:11 AM
I have a strong preference for the Lund WC-16. Basic, tough, exceedingly great performance. I am a big fan of Lunds, I own 2-an A-14 and a Tyee 185. My brother has a WC-16 with a 25 hp Yamaha. I have used it several times and have been really impressed-a really great rig.

A 25 is plenty on a well built 16 tiller. Small, lightweight and super manueverable. Top end will be around 30. Go much bigger and you will put a lot more$$ into it. Also, with a 16', you can only go so fast over the chop, otherwise you'll beat yourself to death.

jim

Have Lund Pro-Guide 1825 w 90hp tiller, if there is any chance you can move up to a true 18ft open boat (with folding trailer tongue, fits easily in my garage!), this is the nuts. Awesome setup, designed for the serious river fisherman, and can be used on big water on the better days (mornings/evenings).

Heading over to Wheatley tomorrow a.m. to give the steel another shaking up before the wind comes up in the afternoon.

Jay

WoodTick007
07-07-2010, 09:49 AM
When setting up riggers on a tiller boat ,should they be off the back or off the sides more forward so you can set the without turning around ? I have a16ft Meyers that had center steering and rated for 60 hp , removed the CC ,put on a 25 4 stroke Johnson. This boat has large gunnels and lot's of floatation ,heavier than most .

Before I had my kicker on the boat they both were off the back. Now I have a kicker mounted next to the main motor there is not enough room to fit both off the back so I mounted them off the side. My only concern with the side mount having the fishing line getting drawn into the kicker prop while setting the rigger...my riggers have short booms.

Nick the Fish
07-07-2010, 09:27 PM

jim

2 Things - Can you really go 30mph with a 25hp engine on a 16fter? Do tillers run faster than a councel driven engine? My Tracker is 16.4ft with a 60hp and tops out at 34mph, granted it's a deep v, but I'm assuming we're talking about deep v's with such wide beams. Just wondering.

NtF

MiketheElder
07-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I came pretty close to 30 in my 16 Princecraft with a Honda 25 fourstroke. That was in the spring last year, going downriver with the current, boat pretty empty. I now have a Yamaha 40 on it and got close to 35 in it. (GPS land speed)

sgc
07-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Mike,
Does that Holiday have a live well?

MiketheElder
07-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Yes, it does but I never use it. Just storage now.

Cpt.Chaos
07-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Yes, it does but I never use it. Just storage now.

You have to be able to catch fish to use a livewell. :corkysm55

I havea Alumacraft Lunker 165. Carpet, rod locker, livewell, raised casting area in front, extra battery, elec trolling motor anda 25 hp Mercury 4 stroke. Top speed with just my fat butt in there is about 23.5, but for me it's plenty fast, I didn't buy it for speed.

sgc
07-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Whats the width on the Alumacraft Lunker 165? They always looked pretty wide to me.

Steelmon
07-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Just google each brand name and you can find their websites, which will give you all the specs on each model. You can also find reviews on them. Just make sure you type "boats" after the brand name. It will limit the amount of links you get.

Tailchaser
07-10-2010, 03:44 PM
How do you like that 165 lunker ? And is it a tiller or console drive ? I'm looking at a Allumcraft classic Camp. No frills , no carpet, vinyle flooring & a tiller 40 hp 4stk Yamaha tiller. I have had 16 footers before & I don't want rod boxes , etc. I just want a electric bow mount , electric lights & livewell. Just a good old fashion fishing boat. The Allumcraft fishing boats are getting good reveiws, but, it's still nice to talk to people that fish out of them, Thanks, Don

KI Jim
07-10-2010, 04:20 PM
A 25 on a 16 tiller will get close to 30. But of course it depends on the weight of the crew etc. In my 14 with my fat butt in it, I can do 24 with a 15 horse. My son can do 29.

Regardless, a 25 is plenty for a simple 16 footer. it will get you close to 30, but more importantly, it will get you going as fast as you can reasonably safely and confortable go,

It is economical to own and run, lightweight to pull and extremely versatile. It makes an excellent river boat, but you can put riggers on it an troll salmon. You can fish the little lakes, but you can do Erie out to about 5 miles or so. 95% of the fishing we have will be available to you

yellowbelly80
07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
i have a 55hp on a 14.5' and i hit 34mph

Drisc13
07-10-2010, 07:33 PM
Have 17' Lund (Pro Angler) with (brand new!) 50 HP 4 stroke Merc (tiller) and love it. Beam is 85" and love the open floor plan. Had a narrower 16' Blue Fin with column steering and hated it! Will never have another steering wheel again! Kids can run around, dog can roam, I can put both big tackle boxes within reach, garbage can for bloody carp (yes...I shoot carp in my Lund...is that amoral???), and even throw the tube for pulling the kids.

I know no boat "does it all" but this type is pretty flexible as trailer sets low enough in water for shallow launches (like Baseline launch on Gull) and big enough to handle 1-3 footers in Erie, Saginaw, and Bays de Noc. Does well in K-zoo river below Allegan Dam but haven't had it in Muskegon...afraid of that random rock jumping out and grabbing my prop.

As for top speed, 30 mph with 2 in the boat and full livewell (water...off course!).

loony pier
07-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Who cares about how fast you can go? Take it easy on an aluminum and it will last a long time.

wally-eye
07-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Who cares about how fast you can go? Take it easy on an aluminum and it will last a long time.

Ain't that the truth, rivets leaking, hull cracking..etc etc etc etc etc....

Cpt.Chaos
07-11-2010, 08:37 PM
How do you like that 165 lunker ? And is it a tiller or console drive ? I'm looking at a Allumcraft classic Camp. No frills , no carpet, vinyle flooring & a tiller 40 hp 4stk Yamaha tiller. I have had 16 footers before & I don't want rod boxes , etc. I just want a electric bow mount , electric lights & livewell. Just a good old fashion fishing boat. The Allumcraft fishing boats are getting good reveiws, but, it's still nice to talk to people that fish out of them, Thanks, Don

I have the 165 Tiller, I believe the beam is 70 at the rear. I absolutely love this boat. I see some people posting the speeds for a 25 hp at around 30, but I have nearly every option on board...the full flooring, carpeting, livewell, extra batt, casting platform and V2 trolling motor all add alot of weight. But this does it all for me, I can troll slow enough for handlining with the 25, pull crawler harnesses in LSC on the bow mount or spoons and cranks a bit faster on the main again...as well as muskies. It also handle waves pretty good. Fuel economy is out of this world as well. I can make the run from Ensign Harley to Gull Isle, up to Rusell and then down the North Channel/Chenal Bout Round or North channel thru Anchor Bay to Ensign Harley on one tank of gas.

Tailchaser
07-12-2010, 08:11 AM
I have another ?. I'm looking at Allumcraft 165 tiller's. I know most people will say a 25 is enough. But, they are showing packages for the Allumcraft 165,( Classic Camp ) etc. with 50 hp. 2stk or 40 stk. Yamaha's. I know the 4 stk are heavier & a lot more $$$. But, several pluses. No oil to mess with, no flumes, great gas mileage & run very quiet. What would be everybody's perference with that type of boat ? A 50 hp 2 stk or a 40 4 stk . Thanks again , Don.

sjk984
07-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Lund also makes am ssv 16 that a pretty nice ride. I ended up with the 18' only because I am A fat *****.

We salmon fish in lake michigan and walleye fish sag bay and lake erie

Steve

MiketheElder
07-12-2010, 09:13 AM
I just put a brand new 40 Yamaha on my 16 Princecraft. So far I'm loving it.

Cpt.Chaos
07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
I just put a brand new 40 Yamaha on my 16 Princecraft. So far I'm loving it.

Mike, does that 40 go slow enough to handline with it?

Another HUGE plus, is how quiet the 4 strokes are. More than once people have been talking to me at the dock and couldn't believe my engine was running because they didn't hear it.

So for me, 4 stroke all the way.

MiketheElder
07-12-2010, 09:41 PM
It's perfect for handlining but it's a little fast for pulling harnesses in the lake. I may have that covered now that the variable speed control switch is installed. That switch can slow the motor way way down but it drives me crazy. It's too rough to me when it's down that low. They said it won't hurt it but I just don't like it that low.

Wall-llard Willie
07-13-2010, 05:50 AM
I was given a 1425 Classic Lund with a 25 hp 4 stk Merc.
I am in no way complaining but when my late fishing partener bought it I told him the 25 would be under powered and it is. With 2 adults in it, it'll plane out but it take a while or 1 has to shift forward. I changed props and intallled a hydro foil but neither seemed to help much. Once on plane it'll cruise at about 22-24 range. Its a great boat I mainly use it for handlining (about perfect for it), used it one year for steelhead on Erie. The 4 stk is extremely quiet and sips gas.

Tailchaser
07-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Ok guys, I know about most top end motors for a 16 to 16.5 Aluminum boat. But, what about slow trolling for walleyes. Staying under 2 for crawlers. There is about $200.00 difference between a 40 & a 50 4 stk . Yamaha. Will the 50 idle down for slow speeds , or would the 40 be a better all around motor for a 165 . Thanks again.

sgc
07-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Mike,
How would a 3.3 Merc. work as a trolling motor on that Holiday? Would it work for handlining in the river?
thanks,

Wall-llard Willie
07-13-2010, 11:42 AM
My friend has a 17 tracker with a 60 4 stk Merc, its fine for handlining but a little fast for crawlers. I would guess you'd either have to get a prop pitched for lower speeds or drag a sock to get low enough for harnesses.

lead bouncer
07-13-2010, 12:51 PM
CRESTLINER 1600 ANGLER. I shopped around for quality and nothing, I mean nothing, even came close.

Unfortunately (for me) a divorce forced me to sell it to a very lucky individual here on the boards.

Man! I LOVED that boat.

-LB :sad:

Oh, and yessir, it's a beamy thing @ 6'10" wide.

MiketheElder
07-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Mike,
How would a 3.3 Merc. work as a trolling motor on that Holiday? Would it work for handlining in the river?
thanks,

IMO, that would be a little too small. Boat control would be dificult when those big wakes come rolling by.

Tailchaser
07-13-2010, 04:58 PM
I also had a 16 ft Crestliner Fish Hawk , with a 40 merc. It was a very nice boat,except for that beige carpeting throughout the whole boat. My buddy still has it. For me it was the wrong color carpet. It showed everything. It wasn't a functional boat for the way I fish. I now have a 18 C/C glass boat & that one is easier to clean.But , I still miss the old fashioned 16 tillers. That's why I was looking into the Allumcraft Classic Camp 165. 6Ft 10'' beam & they package them with 40 or 50 4 stk Yamaha's. I just wondered how these motors would slow troll. Thanks, Don.

Steelmon
07-14-2010, 07:45 AM
If your are buying a tiller, a 4 stroke is the best way to go [IMO]. I used to handline the river with a 2 stroke. If the wind was wrong you could get a headache from the fumes and you would hear the motor in your head long after it was shut down. I went to a 25 hp Honda Tiller on a 16 ft fiberglass skiff and no fumes at all. The quiet running is nice when you are trolling for 3 or 4 hours too. It won't rattle your brain and it's much easier to talk to your buddy. 4 Strokes don't have as much torque for a hole shot, but why would you need it for fishing? I felt that the hole shot with my Honda was just fine.

Landsend
07-14-2010, 11:13 AM
I am around looking for a boat on Craigslist myself and went and seen this boat. It is a '93 Smokercraft and it is one of the widest and deepest boats I have ever seen. 15'7" and about a 6ft beam from the eyes (without measuring). If you sit on the bench seats, your feet barely touch the ground it is that deep. So I'm wondering if it would be convenient for a pain in the butt for a boat that deep. It has a 25HP Johnson and purrs like a kitten.

I don't care about top speed myself, but I want something that will get me off of Erie in a hurry if a storm pops up. What do you guys think about this setup? I'm gonna put in an offer today.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/1841901194.html

yellowbelly80
07-14-2010, 11:28 AM
I am around looking for a boat on Craigslist myself and went and seen this boat. It is a '93 Smokercraft and it is one of the widest and deepest boats I have ever seen. 15'7" and about a 6ft beam from the eyes (without measuring). If you sit on the bench seats, your feet barely touch the ground it is that deep. So I'm wondering if it would be convenient for a pain in the butt for a boat that deep. It has a 25HP Johnson and purrs like a kitten.

I don't care about top speed myself, but I want something that will get me off of Erie in a hurry if a storm pops up. What do you guys think about this setup? I'm gonna put in an offer today.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/1841901194.html
nice boat for the river..its not the widest boat by far.. i would be a lil weary on erie

Landsend
07-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Not the widest by far but the pics are deceiving! I think it would be wide enough and deep enough for erie, that's why I'm leaning towards it.