PDA

View Full Version : Two HUGE Bowfin/Dogfish

STOLI69
06-15-2010, 01:02 PM
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3145&pictureid=19728
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3145&pictureid=19729
My neighbor was fishing my lake last night and he called me around
8:00 pm and wanted to know if Dogfish were a threat to our lake. I was not sure but because it was soo big...and I thought I had heard they had a lung...I told him to put it in a bucket with water and we would take a pic and then take it back to the water. He ended up catching a second one with in another hour. Both of them were caught on live Perch. The smaller Dogfish took a 8 inch perch and the bigger one took a 4 inch perch. I am glad we put them back in the lake because Chris did some re-search and they are actually GOOD for a lake. Neat looking and incredibly NASTY fish. Good thing Chris had a glove on cuz one of them bit him and did not want to let go. They also got their limit of Hogzilla Gills:cool:!
Don:fish:

Reel_Screamer86
06-15-2010, 01:36 PM
I would of never turned them loose, they feed on the other spawning fish eggs!

STOLI69
06-15-2010, 02:42 PM
My neighbor Chris, the guy who caught them, spent a couple hours researching them and sent me the links. NO where did it say to kill them or that they are bad for the lake. Actually, all the literature I read said they were good for the lake and a sign of a healthy lake:cool:. I can attest to the fact my lake IS healthy;)! Happy fishing.

sslopok
06-15-2010, 02:43 PM
I have caught some huge dogfish on the muskegon river and they are awesome fighters. Many fish feed on eggs and I am glad you threw them back in. They were put here for a reason and should remain there.
sslopok

STOLI69
06-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Thanx sslopok;). I thought we did the right thing:corkysm55. Have a great night.

stickem
06-15-2010, 06:06 PM
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3145&pictureid=19728
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=3145&pictureid=19729
My neighbor was fishing my lake last night and he called me around
8:00 pm and wanted to know if Dogfish were a threat to our lake. I was not sure but because it was soo big...and I thought I had heard they had a lung...I told him to put it in a bucket with water and we would take a pic and then take it back to the water. He ended up catching a second one with in another hour. Both of them were caught on live Perch. The smaller Dogfish took a 8 inch perch and the bigger one took a 4 inch perch. I am glad we put them back in the lake because Chris did some re-search and they are actually GOOD for a lake. Neat looking and incredibly NASTY fish. Good thing Chris had a glove on cuz one of them bit him and did not want to let go. They also got their limit of Hogzilla Gills:cool:!
you just killed more fish by putting them back in the lake....THEY HAVE NO NATURAL PREDATORS..so they will keep eating your gills and perch..and nothing will eat them:lol::lol: nice job!!!the only good dogfish is a dead dogfish..same goes for carp
Stick

stickem
06-15-2010, 06:12 PM
see below....some people think carp are harmless....

this is what i think!!!!!http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu38/stickem2009/GEDC0011-Copy.jpghttp://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu38/stickem2009/5-23-09001.jpg
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu38/stickem2009/hrhsrhn011.jpg

sfw1960
06-15-2010, 06:43 PM
Predators keep population stunting in CHECK.
:fish2:
STOLI69 DID do the right thing , plus he's more educated than others on this site....

:lol:

Chad Smith
06-15-2010, 06:50 PM
I caught this dogfish the other day, dam thing bit me too. Just like the Sturgeon, Dogfish are prehistoric and yes they suck air into their bladder when in low oxygen level waters. They are fun fish to fight but I hate those bastards.:lol:
http://episcopalifem.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/dogfish1.jpg

stickem
06-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Predators keep population stunting in CHECK.
:fish2:
STOLI69 DID do the right thing , plus he's more educated than others on this site....

:lol:
I DISAGREE 100% ill be the one laughing when all your game fish are depleted by trash fish...every trash fish we kill ..we help you rod and reel people out..every carp we kill thats one more hatch of eggs that survive and more plants...every dogfish we kill thats a few more fish you all can catch,,every gar pike we shoot thats more game fish for you guys....so your telling me that so the lakes that are open to any size pike are properly managed..? and in check..no...i dont think so JMO

DE82
06-15-2010, 07:30 PM
I DISAGREE 100% ill be the one laughing when all your game fish are depleted by trash fish...every trash fish we kill ..we help you rod and reel people out..every carp we kill thats one more hatch of eggs that survive and more plants...every dogfish we kill thats a few more fish you all can catch,,every gar pike we shoot thats more game fish for you guys....so your telling me that so the lakes that are open to any size pike are properly managed..? and in check..no...i dont think so JMO:lol: One of the most uneducated statements I've ever read in my life

First of all you are aware that carp are not native and bowfin are right? Because if you were you wouldn't make a statement like "they will eat all the game fish" Second do you know a bowfins eating habits? Because they are very close to a big largemouth or northern pike. Third of all, thank you for telling us how you know more about the eco system than mother nature, for years upon years bowfin, a native fish has done just fine without anybody trying to control them.

Can you shoot them with a bow? Yep, is it your legal right? Yep. Am I going to complain if you do? No, but don't sit here and act like a fisheries biologist and tell us that what you do is for all of us when in reality you shoot bowfin, crap or anything else you do because you like it and nothing more and rather you want to believe it or not the waters bowfin live in would be no worse off without you shooting them.

Again, going by your logic, all big bass and pike should also be taken out because they eat game fish.

By the way are far as your "no natural predator" goes....big fish eat small fish....if you need somebody to elaborate on that......

Reel_Screamer86
06-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

DE82
06-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion.Opinion is one thing, fact is another ;) Fact is bowfin are no threat to ANY lake what so ever, feed very close to bass and pike and do not NEED to be controlled by anybody or anything. They're a native fish and one of the oldest fish we have in freshwater.

I guess in the end all you can try and do is teach and present facts to people, what they do with them is up to them :rolleyes:

stickem
06-15-2010, 07:47 PM
:lol: One of the most uneducated statements I've ever read in my life

First of all you are aware that carp are not native and bowfin are right? Because if you were you wouldn't make a statement like "they will eat all the game fish" Second do you know a bowfins eating habits? Because they are very close to a big largemouth or northern pike. Third of all, thank you for telling us how you know more about the eco system than mother nature, for years upon years bowfin, a native fish has done just fine without anybody trying to control them.

Can you shoot them with a bow? Yep, is it your legal right? Yep. Am I going to complain if you do? No, but don't sit here and act like a fisheries biologist and tell us that what you do is for all of us when in reality you shoot bowfin, crap or anything else you do because you like it and nothing more and rather you want to believe it or not the waters bowfin live in would be no worse off without you shooting them.

Again, going by your logic, all big bass and pike should also be taken out because they eat game fish.

By the way are far as your "no natural predator" goes....big fish eat small fish....if you need somebody to elaborate on that......all im saying is if they were not a threat to lakes/game fish they wouldn't be considered "trash" fish and BASS AND PIKE HAVE NAVE NATURAL PREDATORS...DOG FISH NO ~JUST MY OPINION~

DE82
06-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Congrats on the catch to, they are few and far between in all the waters I fish. My biggest was 7lbs on LSC from shore. I know they are a fight and a half.

DE82
06-15-2010, 07:50 PM
all im saying is if they were not a threat to lakes/game fish they wouldn't be considered "trash" fish and BASS AND PIKE HAVE NAVE NATURAL PREDATORS...DOG FISH NO ~JUST MY OPINION~Again, no, they are called "trash" fish because they taste like crap and are boney. I've caught pike with baby bowfin in the stomach, I know for a fact a big largemouth will go after them and I caught a 28inch walleye with a bowfin in it's stomach as well. Big fish, eat little fish, it doesn't matter what kind.

stickem
06-15-2010, 08:04 PM
that may be true...but they should never be released back into the lake..thats just not smart IMO all im saying..to one his own i guess

DE82
06-15-2010, 08:20 PM
that may be true...but they should never be released back into the lake..thats just not smart IMO all im saying..to one his own i guess:rolleyes: Fisheries biologist and the DNR disagree

sslopok
06-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Dogfish are nothing new to Mich. They are native like others have said. Lakes have been doing well here for a long time with dogfish in them. I have never heard anyone say that a lake is overrun by them either. Ignorance is why we are losing animals to extiction everyday. You wanna kill fish for fun and feel good about, go kill snakeheads and gobies or something!
sslopok

stickem
06-15-2010, 08:53 PM
your right it is fun to shoot them..and people have been doing it for years.they are not going to go anywhere..im not saying im right and im disagreeing with you its just my opinion everybody is entitled to one i guess a bowfishermen has a different mindset then a hook and line fisher
have a good one
Stick

diztortion
06-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Must be something about not killing every animal just because one might be inclined to feel they are a "trash" fish. I catch countless numbers of "trash" fish a year. I don't intentionally kill them due to the fact I feel they are threatening game fish. I see it all the time on the river, people throwing fish in the rocks to let them rot and die.

quest32a
06-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Congrats on the catch to, they are few and far between in all the waters I fish. My biggest was 17lbs on LSC from shore. I know they are a fight and a half.

You know, I was going to stick up for you on this thread because for once I agree with you. But then you go and post something like this. You are honestly telling me that you caught a state record dogfish? And not only was it a state record, but nearly 3 lbs bigger than the current state record.

In addition, it would be the single biggest bowfin ever recorded in the midwest.
http://www.lake-link.com/anglers/fish/fish.cfm?FishID=44

I do my best not to doubt others catch, but really dude? Why make something like this up?

DE82
06-15-2010, 09:37 PM
You know, I was going to stick up for you on this thread because for once I agree with you. But then you go and post something like this. You are honestly telling me that you caught a state record dogfish? And not only was it a state record, but nearly 3 lbs bigger than the current state record.

In addition, it would be the single biggest bowfin ever recorded in the midwest.
http://www.lake-link.com/anglers/fish/fish.cfm?FishID=44

I do my best not to doubt others catch, but really dude? Why make something like this up?Meant to say 7lbs :dizzy:

If you honestly believe though bigger dogfish haven't been caught in Michigan than I just don't know. I saw a guy get a 21lber out of the MO, caught it under the fin on a spawn sac. I'm positive the state record sheapshead isn't the biggest one caught in this state too, most people don't care to register a "trash" fish, heck most people don't even know how you would register for a record or even know the records.

For the record, the 21lber was measured on two digital scales, mine and another guys, the guy took it home to eat he said. Be that as it may I meant to say 7lbs for mine, caught it off shore on a largemouth bass, was reeling in a small largemouth and the fish came out of nowhere and took it, battled it for about a half hour my dad said on 4lb line. Pretty sure because I caught it on a bass, even if it was 50lbs the record wouldn't have mattered since that's not a legal fishing method, not that I was fishing with a bass but my guess would be since that's what it hit on, the fish wouldn't have counted

quest32a
06-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Meant to say 7lbs :dizzy:

If you honestly believe though bigger dogfish haven't been caught in Michigan that I just don't know. I saw a guy get a 21lber out of the MO, caught it under the fin on a spawn sac. I'm positive the state record sheapshead isn't the biggest one caught in this state too, most people don't care to register a "trash" fish, heck most people don't even know how you would register for a record or even know the records.

For the record, the 21lber was measured on two digital scales, mine and another guys, the guy took it home to eat he said. Be that as it may I meant to say 7lbs for mine, caught it off shore on a largemouth bass, was reeling in a small largemouth and the fish came out of nowhere and took it, battled it for about a half hour my dad said on 4lb line.

Oh I don't doubt that there are some very, very big dogfish caught in Michigan.

But I must say I completely doubt your story. How do you misstroke a 1 in front of a 7. I could understand if it was a 17lb fish and you mistroked and hit 27 instead, but to just randomly include a 1 in front of the 7 is no mistake. You were making stuff up and got caught.

DE82
06-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Oh I don't doubt that there are some very, very big dogfish caught in Michigan.

But I must say I completely doubt your story. How do you misstroke a 1 in front of a 7. I could understand if it was a 17lb fish and you mistroked and hit 27 instead, but to just randomly include a 1 in front of the 7 is no mistake. You were making stuff up and got caught.:lol: What ever gets you through the day. I'm glad to see a mod can call people out anytime he wants, you do it in the trout forums as well, other members, have even brought it up in the paint creek group and the SE MI forums before, not one or two people, but 6-7 people.

Frankly when somebody tells me I'm lying when all I did was make a typo I think that's BS. I type fast and sometimes crap gets in there that shouldn't be, most of the time I catch it, sometime I don't. Way to hold the standard though.

and besides all that point where do you get off questioning somebody's catch when there's a forum rule against it? So because you're a mod you feel like you have the right to talk down to people and break rules? I don't see Walleye Mike on here questioning people's catch, or Steve doing it, I don't see ANY mod talking down to people and calling out a catch but YOU. Then I tell you I meant to say 7 and all the sudden you take it a step further and call me a lair? I may be a lot of things but a lair isn't one of them. Don't believe me go talk to some people that actually fish with me and people I've met off this very site.

I'm well aware that could very well get me banned but I'm tired of being talked down to by you, your PM's in the past and your crap every time I post something and I feel I have the right to speak up and defend myself. I'm sure in your mind you did nothing wrong but I have more than one thread from other members that say otherwise and all somebody has to do is look on this forum for them.

Good bye

sea nympho
06-16-2010, 01:32 AM
you just killed more fish by putting them back in the lake....THEY HAVE NO NATURAL PREDATORS..so they will keep eating your gills and perch..and nothing will eat them nice job!!!the only good dogfish is a dead dogfish..same goes for carp

Stick

Dude, I don't even know where to start! :dizzy:

It's good to see most has already been pointed out.

You are getting caught up in the same hooplah bs as the snakehead in FL. And hung-up on the phrase "trash-fish". 'Trash' by WHO's standard?...Yours? I ,and thankfully most, fisherman choose science.
ALL fish have predators when they're small enough to be eaten by the bigger fish in the lake. Duh?..right? Each bowfin (& fish in general) spends a SIGNIFICANT portion of its life subject to the pike, walleye, bass, perch, crappie, trout, muskie, etc, that are big enough to feed on it. Plus, ANY fish swimming close enough to an alpha-pike in a bad mood is gonna get it, especially considering their modest size.
Like Robert said...predators BALANCE poulations. Do you like catching 4" bluegills, 18" pike, 12" bass? :lol:
Maybe it's a way of justifying the fact that when bowfishing, one kills every fish he 'catches'.
I'm willing to bet even if one killed every bowfin he caught he still would not make an appreciable dent in the balance of power in the lake.
I've more points to make...but I really just don't care any more.

STOLI69
06-16-2010, 07:18 AM
Hey Chad, that photo is NASTY:yikes:. Cool BUT freaky looking.

STOLI69
06-16-2010, 07:59 AM
WOW!! I just can not believe all the animosity on this site:gaga:. I am glad I fish private lakes the majority of the time;). Thanx for the support DE82 and sfw1960. I just realized there was a page 2 for the comments. UNBELIEVABLE!!! I just thought catching not one but TWO huge Bowfin was kinda cool and wanted to share. I was hoping to let people know after a few hours of research we learned Bowfin are NOT trash fish and are actually a good sign of a healthy lake. God help the ignorant. Hope everyone has a GREAT week of catching:corkysm55!

deep6in
06-16-2010, 08:43 AM
I just thought catching not one but TWO huge Bowfin was kinda cool and wanted to share. I was hoping to let people know after a few hours of research we learned Bowfin are NOT trash fish and are actually a good sign of a healthy lake. God help the ignorant. Hope everyone has a GREAT week of catching:corkysm55!
Those are some nasty looking fish, but cool to see and fun to catch. I can vouch for Stoli on his lake being quite healthy. I have fished his lake on a few occasions and we have never been left without a limit of hog pan fish(in fact it is rare to catch a throw back fish on that lake). We have caught some amazing bass and seen and caught some huge pike. The carp in that lake are monsters and now we see a few bowfin caught and the lake seems to be in it's prime. I think you did the right thing Stoli. Keep up the great fishing and keep up the great pics. And most of all keep on inviting me to come out and fish that lake with you ;)

Reel_Screamer86
06-16-2010, 08:44 AM
Not to keep the "fire" burning but in some water's there are "alot" of trash-fish and some have to be culled to balance the predation to survival rate for the smaller fish and larger fish... To me all the fish spoken above in this thread, if and when we bring any of them to my boat they never get a chance to swim again.. Call me ignorant or what have ya but it's my right to do so, and them are my "FACTS" and i'm sticking to them....

So to all that are riding "stickem" we all have a right to do what we want as long as it complies with the fishing/hunting regulations..

Catcher35
06-16-2010, 08:57 AM
so... in this opinion, you should kill all pike and musky you come across too. All Waters are supposed to have an apex predator that swims. Yes, it is your opinion and it is a wonderful example of ignorance.

Catcher35
06-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Sorry, that last message was for "stickem" and indirectly for the message from "reelscreemer86." Another good example of ignorance.

STOLI69
06-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Hey, at least his Avitar pic is hot:corkysm55.

STOLI69
06-16-2010, 09:09 AM
Oooops...I thought you were responding to Reel Screamer86. You re-posted while I was posting. Now I sound ignorant:gaga:. Sorry.

DE82
06-16-2010, 09:58 AM
WOW!! I just can not believe all the animosity on this site:gaga:. I am glad I fish private lakes the majority of the time;). Thanx for the support DE82 and sfw1960. I just realized there was a page 2 for the comments. UNBELIEVABLE!!! I just thought catching not one but TWO huge Bowfin was kinda cool and wanted to share. I was hoping to let people know after a few hours of research we learned Bowfin are NOT trash fish and are actually a good sign of a healthy lake. God help the ignorant. Hope everyone has a GREAT week of catching:corkysm55!
Don:fish:No problem. Be glad you didn't get them on a spinner or crank, they flat out tear lures UP :lol:

GVDocHoliday
06-16-2010, 10:20 AM
Stickem, you do a huge disservice to all bowfisherman when you open your mouth. Next time you have a thought...just let it go.

sfw1960
06-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Stickem, you do a huge disservice to all bowfisherman when you open your mouth. Next time you have a thought...just let it go.

:lol: :lol:

h0W dU y00 sPeLL !Gn&RT???
:evilsmile

MPT
06-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Those must have put up a great fight. They are pound for pound the hardest fighting freshwater fish. Evidently preety tasty too...
http://www.bowfinanglers.com/recipes.html

diztortion
06-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Nathan's Fried Fins

Hey, I've been hoarding a massive amount of Bowfin in my freezer out back for a while now, and I just cooked my biggest fillets up last night. All I did was take a cast iron skillet, fill it about 2" deep with oil, salt and pepper the fillets, sprinkle a good bit of powder cornmeal on top. I dropped them in there and they came out as the whitest meat I've ever cooked. I knew the oil was hot enough to cook when the mosquitoes flying into it began to sizzle when they hit! They fillets were about 4 lbs a piece and took 7 minutes both sides, not too long. The skin was left on and made for a nice textured feel. Cotton-Fish? Ha, what fool cooked their Fin wrong enough for it to taste like cotton? Definitely an excellent taste. Thought this might be helpful to post somewhere, seeing as it's so simple.

DE82
06-16-2010, 02:40 PM
It mostly depends on the water you get them out of, their size and the water temp as to how they taste IMO. It's just like Pike, I won't eat Pike in the summertime out of warmer water because I don't like what it does to the meat but cold water, winter, early spring, late fall, 24-28inches I love some pike :P

stickem
06-16-2010, 03:02 PM
thanks buddy!!
i have one more thing to add....so when the state has its GBLC and 44000# of rough/trash fish are killed..everybody doing it it wrong and in the end going to kill off all the fish in the lake?

Jim..47
06-16-2010, 03:50 PM
I DISAGREE 100% ill be the one laughing when all your game fish are depleted by trash fish...every trash fish we kill ..we help you rod and reel people out..every carp we kill thats one more hatch of eggs that survive and more plants...every dogfish we kill thats a few more fish you all can catch,,every gar pike we shoot thats more game fish for you guys....so your telling me that so the lakes that are open to any size pike are properly managed..? and in check..no...i dont think so JMO

I agree, everything needs a predator. Look what happens to coyote when not restrained. The same with animals such as coon and man others.

DE82
06-16-2010, 04:11 PM
thanks buddy!!
i have one more thing to add....so when the state has its GBLC and 44000# of rough/trash fish are killed..everybody doing it it wrong and in the end going to kill off all the fish in the lake?Some people just don't get it :rolleyes: We get it, science is wrong and you are right.

stickem
06-16-2010, 04:50 PM
so... in this opinion, you should kill all pike and musky you come across too. All Waters are supposed to have an apex predator that swims. Yes, it is your opinion and it is a wonderful example of ignorance.
i shoot gar pike...well this thread is boring now ttyl

bowhunter1670
06-16-2010, 09:28 PM
I think stickem maybe just used the wrong wording, a body of water can only support so much life, be it bass, pike, walleyes, whatever, so if you want one species to flourish it may be best to eliminate/thin out a species that may be considered trash by some. I know this is true...'cause Bill Dance told me so...LOL

supermetallogic
06-16-2010, 09:39 PM
All trash fish and bowfin aside every lake with fish in it has a worst predatore of all,Mankind.We cause the largest decimation of any fish population not bowfims.carp etc.Btw nice catch on your bowfins/dogfish.The best place you could have released them would have been someones swimming pool.:yikes:

vaxheadroom
06-17-2010, 01:30 PM
those were some big fish, very strong too. did you use a net to get them in or did you have a highly expereinced person in the boat that could pull them out by hand. Glad you threw them back in

FishHuntR
06-17-2010, 02:23 PM
those were some big fish, very strong too. did you use a net to get them in or did you have a highly expereinced person in the boat that could pull them out by hand. Glad you threw them back in

You got lucky!

STOLI69
06-17-2010, 02:56 PM

Not only "highly experienced" but handsome too:lol: l.o.l.!! Knowing you Ski....I was not with the two of you and you probably did NOT have a net:gaga:. Chris said he was lucky he had his glove on because one bit him. I guess it did not occur to me that you guy's forgot a net:lol:! Fishing in the a.m.? Chris said he is going with or with out you.

timaladyetz
06-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I caught a bowfin for the first time last weekend. Very fun fish to reel in, but a surprise when I got it up along the boat and had no idea what it was. The long dorsal fin was a total surprise to me. Luckily, some guys in a nearby boat were very helpful, told me it was a dogfish (weird because in maine, where I grew up, a dogfish is a kind of shark), and had a net to get it in safely. I probably would have handled it and got bitten otherwise. They told me it was a trash fish, which I interpreted to mean introduced species, and they took it off my hands, bound for the garden. They meant the best, and I appreciate their help.

When I got home, I got online and made the dogfish-bowfin connection, then learned about the bowfin being native to michigan lakes, one of only three existing freshwater fish that were contemporaries of the dinosaurs (along with sturgeon and gar). As a naturalist, I think that's pretty cool. Until the DNR tells us we have to kill them when we catch them, I'll probably release them. Conversely, until the DNR tells us we're not allowed to kill them, I probably won't judge too harshly anyone who does.

My first post here after a year of reading carefully; wanted to take it seriously. Still got a lot to learn.

sfw1960
06-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Welcome aboard ,
timaladyetz!

sea nympho
06-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Until the DNR tells us we have to kill them when we catch them, I'll probably release them. Conversely, until the DNR tells us we're not allowed to kill them, I probably won't judge too harshly anyone who does.

My first post here after a year of reading carefully; wanted to take it seriously. Still got a lot to learn.

More here should take the time in thought you have taken...Welcome! :)

WMU001
06-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Nice 'fins! Those guys sure are a blast to catch. FWIW, the private group of lakes I fish is LOADED with bowfin, I always let them go when caught, and the bass and pike fishing is just as good as always! Just wondering, have any of you tried eating them before? I was always told they taste like ***** but some guy told me last week that he ALWAYS keeps them and they taste delicious when prepared properly:dizzy:

STOLI69
06-21-2010, 10:16 AM
More here should take the time in thought you have taken...Welcome! :)
Refreshing to see intelligent people DO visit this site;).

STOLI69
06-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Nice 'fins! Those guys sure are a blast to catch. FWIW, the private group of lakes I fish is LOADED with bowfin, I always let them go when caught, and the bass and pike fishing is just as good as always! Just wondering, have any of you tried eating them before? I was always told they taste like ***** but some guy told me last week that he ALWAYS keeps them and they taste delicious when prepared properly:dizzy:
If you google Bowfin you will discover there is a site dedicated to these fish and there is recipes posted. I believe most of the recipes said to ground the meat and make fish patties. I also have heard the fish needs to be cleaned a "special" way to avoid getting sick. If you have to be carefull with how you clean it AND you have to grind up the meat to prepare....not really sure why one would want to bother. Lakes with with Bowfin swimming in them always seem to be healthy. I think a lot of responses to my original post just shows the general ignorance of sooo many people:gaga:. I know for a fact my lake is very healthy. Have a GREAT day.

kcud rellik
06-21-2010, 07:57 PM
I think we should start killing every bass and pike we catch too. I mean what eats big bass and pike? All they do is eat smaller fish and destroy lakes, right? idk about you guys but I am legally allowed to so I will.

Honestly, I don't understand the hatred of the dogfish.
Posted via Mobile Device

bassangler
06-21-2010, 08:39 PM
Chad!! LOL:lol::lol: I loved the pic of your dogfish.

Duck-Hunter
06-22-2010, 10:44 AM
I think we should start killing every bass and pike we catch too. I mean what eats big bass and pike? All they do is eat smaller fish and destroy lakes, right? idk about you guys but I am legally allowed to so I will.

Honestly, I don't understand the hatred of the dogfish.
Posted via Mobile Device

Becuase it is a predator and a "trash fish" duhh! Lol the best part is that retard went into the bowfishing section and made a post about this thread and thought everyone else would think its funny that the guy that caught the dogfish thru them back...no he got schooled over there too and made out to be a idiot. I've caught them and shot them. Either way is a good time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Grunt
06-22-2010, 12:36 PM

Well said.

Chad Smith
06-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Chad!! LOL:lol::lol: I loved the pic of your dogfish.

Yeah, the Spotted Dachshund, it is so rare most people never see one. :lol:

STOLI69
06-22-2010, 03:21 PM
Becuase it is a predator and a "trash fish" duhh! Lol the best part is that retard went into the bowfishing section and made a post about this thread and thought everyone else would think its funny that the guy that caught the dogfish thru them back...no he got schooled over there too and made out to be a idiot. I've caught them and shot them. Either way is a good time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats sooo funny. All I was trying to do was share a neat story and get a couple opinions and all hell broke out:gaga:. Crazy.

FishHuntR
06-22-2010, 05:23 PM
I caught a bowfin for the first time last weekend. Very fun fish to reel in, but a surprise when I got it up along the boat and had no idea what it was. The long dorsal fin was a total surprise to me. Luckily, some guys in a nearby boat were very helpful, told me it was a dogfish (weird because in maine, where I grew up, a dogfish is a kind of shark), and had a net to get it in safely. I probably would have handled it and got bitten otherwise. They told me it was a trash fish, which I interpreted to mean introduced species, and they took it off my hands, bound for the garden. They meant the best, and I appreciate their help.

When I got home, I got online and made the dogfish-bowfin connection, then learned about the bowfin being native to michigan lakes, one of only three existing freshwater fish that were contemporaries of the dinosaurs (along with sturgeon and gar). As a naturalist, I think that's pretty cool. Until the DNR tells us we have to kill them when we catch them, I'll probably release them. Conversely, until the DNR tells us we're not allowed to kill them, I probably won't judge too harshly anyone who does.

Nice post Tim. Good to see rational and intelligent thought.

DE82
06-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
Myth 6: They eat all the [your species here] and can wipe out complete populations.

Bowfin, like the other top level predator fish, primarily eat fish and crustaceans. If crayfish are available, they will make up the bulk of a bowfin diet (http://www.bowfinanglers.com/science.html). Forage fish (shiners, shad, etc) and young of any species are also found in the usual diet of all these predators. B@$$ eat fins, fins eat bass, and bluegills eat eggs and fry of both. Despite the mutual predation, b@$$ and all those other newcomers managed to survive and thrive in waters already populated with bowfin. Bowfin have tolerated b@$$ since b@$$ first appeared 12,000,000 years ago. (http://www.bio.txstate.edu/%7Egabor/seminar/Nearetal.2005.pdf) If conditions favor one species over another, that species will dominate that local niche, but bowfin have not and will not "wipe out" those other fish.

Wiping out local populations usually requires an assist from people. A new dam, a golf course, or a shopping mall parking lot can cause more harm to fish populations than bowfin. Do you fish spawning beds? You are helping too - those opportunistic sunnies can decimate an egg clutch while you are playing the fish that was defending them.

I'm sure are resident expert of how bad these fish are for the lakes will have nothing to say regarding that

fathom this
06-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Call them Bowfin, Dogfish, mudfish, lawyer on any other name they are remnants of ancient fishes and are native to michigan. Dogfish adults are voracious consumers of fish and because they live in waters populated by game fish they tend to keep lakes from becoming overpopulated by stunted pan fish. Dogfish tend to live in waters with plenty of vegetation and can tolerate warm,
stagnant water by breathing air from the surface.
It was said by someone the best way to eat a dogfish was to plank it.
You nail the dogfish to a cedar plank and roast it over a open fire. You then throw away the fish and eat the plank.

jasnooks
06-24-2010, 08:52 AM
It mostly depends on the water you get them out of, their size and the water temp as to how they taste IMO. It's just like Pike, I won't eat Pike in the summertime out of warmer water because I don't like what it does to the meat but cold water, winter, early spring, late fall, 24-28inches I love some pike :P

I have to agree with that.
I've only caught one dogfish in my life, back in the mid 80's or so. Got it in the middle of summer at the Pinery over in Canada. Tried baking it in foil over a campfire.. Umm.. Lets just say it didn't turn out so well (mushy and nasty). Ended up throwing it out.

I'll have to try diztortion's method if i ever catch another one, preferably from a little cooler water.

EDIT: Almost forgot.. To the OP, Nice catch.

Knolandk
10-18-2010, 03:50 PM
all im saying is if they were not a threat to lakes/game fish they wouldn't be considered "trash" fish and BASS AND PIKE HAVE NAVE NATURAL PREDATORS...DOG FISH NO ~JUST MY OPINION~

The name trash fish comes from whether or not they are good to eat, idk how you got a lack of predators from that, what eats an adult pike? Birds maybe but thats about it following your logic we should kill all the big old predatory fish I.E big momma bass, pike and musky, its the babies that get eaten and baby anything is fair game in the water dogfish or no, and ive never heard of a lake taken over by dogfish.

bentrod
10-21-2010, 10:51 AM
All of my bass are released because they are good sport and I don't eat them. Bowfins are a better fight than bass, so I release them also. And, because of the bowfins long shape, are just right for a pike or musky to easily swallow.

Matty_joe86
10-26-2010, 05:41 PM
I remember researching bowfin a while ago and while baby bowfin will get eaten by other fish just like any small fish, the real population check on bowfin is their ability to sucessfully spawn. The % of eggs to adult fish is extremely low, so every adult bowfin that you catch is really a miracle fish and one good for the system it is in.

STOLI69
10-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanx for the info Matt. I was soooo surprised to see all the moronic responses to my post. Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy the site BUT the IQ/Common sense of some of these people is SCARY. In the end, Chris and I were happy we returned them to swim again. He caught two with in an hour and we have caught a total of 4 the last two years on my lake. Pretty incredible! Have a GREAT day and thanx again for the info.

JayJayMo
10-27-2010, 01:35 PM
I ice fish this kinda hidden public lake that does not get much pressure or little to none open water fishing. What makes this lake so weird is it is supper shallow and all sight fishing but schools of baby dog fish will swarm my bait. There is littleraly 20 or so of them at times. By pulling the bait away from them I can attract some of the biggest gills, pumpkinseeds and redears I see on any other of the larger lakes I fish. Also seen some verry big bass and a few pike in my hole. I would say the dogfish population is way out of control but it does not effect the other fishing at all. It is always odd to see this they are all babys and have never seen an adult i dont know what to think of it. They are kinda cool looking as babys in this stained dark bottom water dark brown and orange. The people that fish this area usually leave piles of them on the ice and I never thought twice about sending them back down my hole..... shoot i bet some of the hog gills bass and pike just gourge on em.

BradU20
10-27-2010, 07:32 PM
What makes this lake so weird is it is supper shallow and all sight fishing but schools of baby dog fish will swarm my bait.

Sure they aren't mudminnows?
http://www.unb.ca/cri/images/Centralmudminnow.jpg
http://www.lakesuperiorstreams.org/understanding/images/centralmudminnow.jpg
http://www.lakesuperiorstreams.org/understanding/centralmudminnow.html

JayJayMo
10-27-2010, 08:42 PM
wow very well could be...... but these have a more stretched out dorsal and are 2" solid I think.......maybe I should take a closer look..... but for years thought they where doggies.......you know where I am fishing ;)?

Frogfish101
10-29-2010, 11:00 AM
and for the same reason as stick em, I throw every muskie i catch on the bank.

before someone jumps on me, I was being sarcastic :) Bowfin are awesome, and those two fish are brutes! They put up one hell of a fight. I've only ever caught too, and my biggest was around 9 lbs while fly fishing the Huron river. The other hit a spinnerbait, and mangled it! LOL

BTW, carp arent trash. :) I love my carp

MOTOMAN91
10-29-2010, 11:07 AM
CHAD SMITH, YOU ARE ONE FUNNY DUDE, THAT PICTURE CRACKED ME UP! THANKS FOR THE LAUGH.:lol:

twohats
10-30-2010, 11:56 AM
www.bowfinanglers.com has all the info you could want. Including recipies.:)

jlacs
11-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Way back on the first page Quest32a had a link to records for Bowfin that I looked at myself a while back. Then there were a few more posts about people not weighing trash fish for records. I totally agree that many do not even think about weighing undesired fish. The spring before last I was early March fishing south of the stacks in the Trenton channel and hooked into what I thought was a wall hanger walleye. It turned out to be only a Bowfin. It was slimy and ugly and instead of touching it I grabbed it out of the net with my lip grip scale. The scale read 14something lbs. I didn't think about a record I was just more interested in getting rid of the ugly fish. I never measured it so I can only guess it was 30 + inches and really thick. That day when I got home I decided to do some research on the bowfin and realized I had possibly caught a state record. No pictures just a memory.

-Axiom-
11-02-2010, 09:44 PM
I caught this one in Otter lake a couple years ago.
I used to catch them in Muskegon lake all the time.
This one was pretty odd because of the coloring on the bottom, never seen that before.

The black spot in the upper right of the picture is it's babies it was protecting.
I let it go.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/562/pictureuao.jpg (http://img130.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pictureuao.jpg)

STOLI69
11-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Way back on the first page Quest32a had a link to records for Bowfin that I looked at myself a while back. Then there were a few more posts about people not weighing trash fish for records. I totally agree that many do not even think about weighing undesired fish. The spring before last I was early March fishing south of the stacks in the Trenton channel and hooked into what I thought was a wall hanger walleye. It turned out to be only a Bowfin. It was slimy and ugly and instead of touching it I grabbed it out of the net with my lip grip scale. The scale read 14something lbs. I didn't think about a record I was just more interested in getting rid of the ugly fish. I never measured it so I can only guess it was 30 + inches and really thick. That day when I got home I decided to do some research on the bowfin and realized I had possibly caught a state record. No pictures just a memory.

Hey jlacs, what was the Mi record? I catch these often in my lake and I am pretty sure the one I caught thru the ice a couple years ago was huge. Not sure it was 14lbs though. 14 lbs??? That thing must have put up a INCREDIBLE fight!!

STOLI69
11-03-2010, 09:38 AM
I caught this one in Otter lake a couple years ago.
I used to catch them in Muskegon lake all the time.
This one was pretty odd because of the coloring on the bottom, never seen that before.

The black spot in the upper right of the picture is it's babies it was protecting.
I let it go.

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/562/pictureuao.jpg (http://img130.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pictureuao.jpg)

Wow Axiom, that is a crazy color on the bottom of that one. NEVER seen that before! Thanx for sharing picture.

jlacs
11-03-2010, 03:21 PM
14 lbs 0 ozs. caught by Michael Miller on Little Crooked Lake on January 1, 1981.

STOLI69
11-03-2010, 03:35 PM
14 lbs 0 ozs. caught by Michael Miller on Little Crooked Lake on January 1, 1981.

Holy ****. I wonder how old that fish was? I think my biggest is around
8 lbs maybe. Just got a digital scale this summer so now I will be able to weigh the fish I catch;)! Thanx for the info.

woodlandstud
07-02-2013, 04:06 PM
i shoot gar pike...well this thread is boring now ttyl

Just FYI. Nobody listen to this guy.

Some education on the topic can be found:

www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/fbowfin.html

"Because of its tendency to eat other fish, including desirable game fish, the bowfin is not generally appreciated by anglers. Yet it is an important part of the ecosystem--it inhabits waters generally populated by panfish or nongame fishes, and its performs the population control necessary to prevent stunting."

Link on same site to Pumpkinseed:

www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/individualfishframespages/framepumpkinseed.html

"All fish that eat other fish will eat pumpkinseeds, and large pumpkinseeds will eat smaller pumpkinseeds. Because they tend to spend so much time in shallow water, they’re also eaten by cormorants, mergansers, and herons. Pumpkinseeds are accustomed to being low on the food chain, so they reproduce rapidly. However, this means that without pressure from predators they reproduce so rapidly that there isn’t enough food and habitat for all of the fish to grow large. This can cause populations of stunted fish."

Yes, you read that right. More predators (like Bowfin) actually cause some species of fish to grow BIGGER. Ecosystems are complicated, and you can't draw a straight line between one thing and another (bowfin eat fish > less of those fish grow to be of a big size).

If you want to go on a killing spree, there are plenty of Invasive species that you can go to town on that are great eating (notably, a few breeds of asian carp). Even the Common carp that the above gentleman hated on is prized in its native europe as a sport fish and food source (it's actually the equivalent of the Christmas Turkey in some parts of eastern europe).

Some of these invasive species are Very exciting to catch, like the northern snakehead:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_invasive_species_in_North_America

I'll close by saying that most people define a "rough fish" or "trash fish" by how fun they are to catch or if they are good to eat, and so everything else doesn't have a right to live. Not entirely dissimilar thinking led to an ecosystem crash that killed 50 million people in the late 50's in China:

http://chineseculture.about.com/od/historyofchina/a/Chinese-History-Great-Sparrow-Campaign.htm

Recent history is completely full of unintended consequences when it comes to eradicating/introducing animals to the US ecosystem. Just do some searching.

SWMbruiser
07-02-2013, 04:41 PM
The less the dogfish eat, the more my trophy pike, bass and walleye get....in the words of Metallica....kill 'em all! I do enjoy fighting them

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

midwestfisherman
07-04-2013, 06:32 PM
I have to laugh at all of the pretend fisheries biologists in this thread. :rolleyes:

sfw1960
07-05-2013, 01:53 PM
I have to laugh at all of the pretend fisheries biologists in this thread. :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The next best thing to ACTUALLY knowing one or two!!

:evilsmile

Waz_51
07-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Talk about digging one outta the graveyard!....

raisinrat
07-05-2013, 03:04 PM
I would of never turned them loose, they feed on the other spawning fish eggs!

Bowfins are top end predators that live and work the low oxygen areas of a lake. They have teeth. This is an old wise tail about them eating eggs they eat minnow , frogs, ducks anything they can get in there months just like bass and pike.

raisinrat
07-05-2013, 03:07 PM

Bowfin are a Native predator of the water here in Michigan. Your trash fish is another mans game fish.

dogfish17
07-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Nice dogfish!!! They are a hell of a fight. To say everyone needs to be killed when caught is crazy. Honestly one if the fish that got me hooked on fishing as a kid. We used to use plastic salamanders on a lake I lived by and catch some giants. In that same lake we could catch as many bass and big gills as you wanted. So I would not say they would ruin a lake, if they did I would say there is something else going on.

Sent from my HTCONE using Ohub Campfire mobile app

MontcalmCounty
07-05-2013, 03:54 PM
There is a reason lakes with good populations of predator fish have big panfish

Hauptmann6
07-05-2013, 08:02 PM
you just killed more fish by putting them back in the lake....THEY HAVE NO NATURAL PREDATORS..so they will keep eating your gills and perch..and nothing will eat them:lol::lol: nice job!!!the only good dogfish is a dead dogfish..same goes for carp
Stick

The pan fish NEED TO be eaten and the populations reduced. If they aren't they won't get bigger due to competition for food. I've seen it in a few lakes. No predators = TONS of small 4 inch fish that will never get bigger.

MontcalmCounty
07-05-2013, 08:26 PM
The pan fish NEED TO be eaten and the populations reduced. If they aren't they won't get bigger due to competition for food. I've seen it in a few lakes. No predators = TONS of small 4 inch fish that will never get bigger.

Couldn't have said it better

sfw1960
07-05-2013, 08:34 PM
A body of water can only support so much BIOMASS as the biologists would say, but you can't argue with a cross-eyed hickerbilly now can ya boys???

:lol: :lol:

sswhitelightning
07-07-2013, 08:59 PM
I Bowfish bowfin and they IMO are not in any harm if stick um and I blast a few. Nobody else is keeping them in check besides bowfisherman. I do understand that bowfin, gar are excellent predators to over populated lakes of panfish. They both make entertaining rod and reel fish. But to be down on bowfishing is unnecessary. In the spring I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of bowfin and gar and the few hundred I shoot have no dented the population on my favorite shooting lakes.

Creek-Chub
07-07-2013, 09:16 PM
We call bowfin (dogfish) the "30 second steelhead". Lots of fun on an inland lake when you're jonesing for chrome.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Bob D
07-08-2013, 11:48 AM
I Bowfish bowfin and they IMO are not in any harm if stick um and I blast a few. Nobody else is keeping them in check besides bowfisherman. I do understand that bowfin, gar are excellent predators to over populated lakes of panfish. They both make entertaining rod and reel fish. But to be down on bowfishing is unnecessary. In the spring I have seen hundreds upon hundreds of bowfin and gar and the few hundred I shoot have no dented the population on my favorite shooting lakes.

I don't think there was much, if any, bashing of bowfishing. What I read was hopeless ignorance regarding why all dogfish should be killed. Everyone is ignorant about something, but to continue ignorance in the face of truth is hopelessly ignorant. The legal right to practice bowfishing and doing what you will with your legal catch is not a topic in this thread.

sswhitelightning
07-08-2013, 11:56 AM
I don't think there was much, if any, bashing of bowfishing. What I read was hopeless ignorance regarding why all dogfish should be killed. Everyone is ignorant about something, but to continue ignorance in the face of truth is hopelessly ignorant. The legal right to practice bowfishing and doing what you will with your legal catch is not a topic in this thread.

Right on I agree, just sayin in my experience the lakes I repeatedly shoot haven't hurt the population.

MERGANZER
07-08-2013, 02:11 PM
I never release a bowfin unless its released into a field or something. They are a rough fish like carp which is why people shoot them all year. They eat like a pike. Like crazy so I take them out whenever possible I'd rather have the pike grow then the bowfin.

Ganzer

eyecatcher1
07-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Just read the entire thread and all I can say is wow!!!

First of all those were some nice fish. Congrats

2nd, with all the information on this thread, a user with a trash bird username still thinks all Bowfin should be killed?

3rd, Is quest still a moderator after this thread? There is no way he should be allowed to moderate a site when he can't follow the rules.

STOLI69
07-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Wow...this is hilarious. I posted this thread over three year's ago and people are still reading it and responding. Amazing. Also, the ignorance of some of my fellow member's is scary. Is it 4:20 yet? YES it is!

07-09-2013, 06:55 PM
This one has run it's course....