PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite side dish to go with venison dinner

Hope
12-02-2000, 05:31 PM
I know veggies go great with venison... but whats your favorite side dish?

------------------
The most wild, crazy, shootin' gal in Mid-Michigan! :)

Salmonsmoker
12-03-2000, 09:08 AM
Hope,

That depends on how complete the main dish. For example, if I am making a Pot Roast in my Dutch Oven, it has potato's, onions, carrots all included. The only side is some kind of desert.

If I am doing steaks, then roasting ears (when in season) or another form of corn or green beans and rice or potato's (baked).

Venison Sirloin Tips go on either Rice or Noodles. Then a mixed vege or bean dish go well. Again, variety. Often the main dish is served alone (we like venison and try to limit our carbohydrate intake.)

One pot meals in our Dutch Oven generally make up a whole meal - we like to cook-out over the campfire or grill several times per week - even in winter. The best procedure that I have found for outdoor cooking is Keep It Simple.

Also, side dishes depend on the season. In the summer, potato salad, macroni salad, cold baked beans along with a hot entre' off the grill or out of the smoker goes well.

In the winter, hot side dishes go well. Hot biscuits always go well.

So what is your favorite?

ss

Hope
12-03-2000, 09:17 AM
Well, you pretty much nailed it on the head SS! :) We do not really grill out in the winter... can you tell me about your dutch oven?

Erik
12-03-2000, 02:40 PM
Hey, I grille outside in the winter! It makes for less dishes to have to wash! Hah!
As for my favorite side dish, I suppose beer doesn't count does it. I like homemade bread, hot buttered mushrooms, greenbeans in mushroom soup, hot buttered noodles, hmmmm, come to think of it, I guess anything will work for me! Anything except brussel sprouts, or spinach, that is.
Every time I read this section I get hungry.

------------------
Phish

Steve
12-03-2000, 10:57 PM
Hope that's a shame... I grill all winter. Can't live without it :)

Salmonsmoker
12-04-2000, 06:54 AM
There is one point where I have to agree with Fred Troast. Each time when he ends his show he signs off with "Get out doors. It's a great place to be." I agree. Cook outdoors - it a great way to add new enjoyment to your food preparation - even in the winter. If you cook over a campfire in the winter, you can also keep warm.

As for Dutch Ovens, I have three:

a six inch that I have used for sauces and my main pot for making meatloaf or smoked baked beans - both can be baked in either the grill or over a campfire.

a 10 inch that I use primarily for my wife and I or when we are having one or two other people over. It is my primary pot for using in my stone pit oven and also often used over the campfire.

1 14 inch that I use for parties (in the stone pit oven and as a large frying pan over the campfire), to bake bread (anything that can be baked in a conventional kitchen oven can be baked in a Dutch Oven.)

If you are going to buy one, make sure that you get one made in the USA. (That is not a political comment. The chinese have flooded the market with Dutch Ovens (sold at Meijers and K-Mart) that are thin. They do not absorb heat and distribute it the way a "Lodge" or other US made oven will do.)

If you buy a new one, it needs to be cured (ever notice how splattered grease on your kitchen stove will burn on to a dark black and hard-to-remove crust? That is what you do deliberately to a cast-iron cooking pot - called curing it prevents rust and makes it a non-stick surface.) Instructions for curing will be attached to any new cast-iron cookware.

I have picked up several black-iron cookware items at garage sales and flea markets. HOWEVER: if you find any from these sources, look them over carefully for cracks, warps, or for "made in china" stamped on the bottom. You may be dissappointed with any of the above.

ss

Hope
12-04-2000, 08:45 AM
Erik - you cook AND do dishes?! Lucky wife! :)

Ebowhunter
12-04-2000, 08:56 AM
See my post in reply to cast iron.

We stir fry vegetables on cast iron on the grill. Simply delicious.

Erik
12-04-2000, 09:20 PM
Hope, it's a 50/50 proposition. Of course from where I'm standing it usaully feels like 70/30. But what are you going to do, someone has to do em! Then again, my wife layed linoeleum in the kitchen, while I was fishing the pere marquette. Guess it does even out in the long run!

------------------
Phish

Salmonsmoker
12-05-2000, 06:49 AM
Erik, It not only evens out, it works better when we do not limit ourselves to predefined roles.

In my case, I like to cook (particularly in my outdoor kitchen). My wife is an avid huntress (particualrly for deer.) The result is that we both do something that we like and end up with excellent food on the table.

ss

12Ring
12-08-2000, 08:04 PM
A cold Molson !!

------------------
>>>--Dave--> Aim Hard

Salmonsmoker
12-09-2000, 08:36 AM
12Ring

Excellent choice.....goes well with almost any wild game or fish recipe.

ss

William H Bonney
02-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Best side dish? Hmmm,,, this is a easy one,

Fresh shallots or onion
Fresh garlic clove
(both minced)
1 bag of baby red potatoes
( cut anyway you like) they cook easier thinner
1 frying pan
4 splashes of EVOO
Throw the reds in the pan and cook until there done, then salt and pepper to taste.

It doesn't get any better than that fellas! and ladies (Hope) sorry:rolleyes:

Salmonsmoker
02-26-2003, 08:21 AM
From my experience, the main dish is only part of a good meal. The side dish is also very important. No matter how well prepared the entre is, if vegies are overcooked or mushy it detracts from the enjoyment of the meal. Perhaps some discussion about prepring side dishes (in the Others Recipe forum) would be helpful. Any thoughts on this?