PDA

View Full Version : What happened to all my beers

4pwr
12-31-2002, 12:37 PM
Got back from the store after buying some beer. When standing in front of the cooler,I was hit with the fact that all the brands that where best sellers in the 50"s are almost a thing of the past. Pabst,Carlings Black Label.E+B,Altes,Goebels,Dreweys,to name a few are gone or close to it.Outside of the specialty and imported beers we are reduced to Millers and Bud. A damn shame.I say.

Cable
12-31-2002, 12:51 PM
I miss Falstaff with the puzzels on the cap and the yellow plastic cases they came in.

Rupestris
12-31-2002, 12:52 PM
From what I understand, in some parts of the country, Pabst Blue Ribbon is available and still one of the better selling beers. Even outselling Bud.
My father-in-law used to dring Gobel by the case. blechhh.:p
The one I miss is Strohs Signature.

Rupe

dieseldude
12-31-2002, 03:28 PM
anybody ever drink hamms? ewe, i remember going up north and buying it because it was the cheapest thing we could find and we were broke. i forget how much we paid for a case of it but it was damn cheap beer.

chromium
12-31-2002, 03:34 PM
How about Buckhorn beer. It was big in Illinois where I grew up.
$1.99 a six pack.

YPSIFLY
12-31-2002, 04:34 PM
Rupe,

A lot of my friends in Ypsilanti drink PBR. $5 a sixer out the door.

A lot of the old breweries have been bought by the folks at Bud and Miller. Leinenkugel's is actually owned by Miller. They were bought out years ago but Miller still keeps the label going.

If I'm not mistaken, the old E+B brewery is over in Eastern Market. A friend owned a studio apartment on the fourth floor and we used to hang out and drink in the old brew vats. Almost half of that building was left unchanged from its days as a brewery.

I haven't seen a bottle of Falstaff in seven years.

338bar
12-31-2002, 04:45 PM
1978 prices:

Hamm's - 2.99 for a twelve.
Falstaff - 2.79 for a twelve, in the yellow plastic case.

Why do I remember this? I worked retail at a liquor counter at the time and we sold alot of both of those. Old milwaukee was the all time best seller though.

Anybody remember Olympia and the Oly kegs?

I also miss the dark stubby bottles that the canadian imports came in. The beer always tasted better out of those for some reason.

Another cheapo back then which probably disappeared - Altas

WALLEYE MIKE
12-31-2002, 05:04 PM
How about Ballintine!! 6-pack cans for $.99

PrtyMolusk
12-31-2002, 05:41 PM
Howdy-

(sigh) Yep, the old brands are dropping faster than stocks.....

I, too, used to work in a liquor store, and have fond memories of all the afore-mentioned brands, along with Schlitz, Pfieffer, Stroh, (you're right, Rupe, Signature was a damn shame to lose!), and the ultimate cheapy, Gambrinus (8-pk. of throw-aways for $0.99 + tax at Great Scott! markets....)

I also miss the first import I really enjoyed, Lowenbrau. I know the brand is still out there (owned by Miller), but it used to be imported from Germany. A news item in a brewery rag says the genuine, imported stuff is due to re-appear shortly, so keep your eyes open for it.

Another one Miller sucked up/ fu**ed up is Meisterbrau. This was originally a non-pasteurized brew (in essence, draft beer) that came in large, dark brown 1 gallon bottles. Refridgerated at the time of bottling, it was shipped cold and kept cold. It was the closest thing to having a keg in your house, until the advent of the Falstaff Tapper, a neat little 2 gallon keg you could store on a cleared-out shelf of your 'fridge......

Ah, the good old days......

PrtyMolusk
12-31-2002, 05:46 PM
Howdy-

Oops! Almost forgot Blatz (although it may still be brewed by a contract brewer, the original was always a favorite...)

"I'm from Milwaukee, and I oughta know
it's draft-brewed Blatz beer, where ever you go.
Smoother, fresher, less-filling, that's clear-
Blatz is Milwaukee's finest beer !" :D

NEMichsportsman
12-31-2002, 05:56 PM
Used to buy a whole lotta $4.99 cases of Red White & Blue, Altes, and Black Label in the mid 80's. We would base our decision on whatever happened to be on sale that particular...The RWB was sold in Long Neck bottles whic I always though was cool...now it is back to being the norm. Added bonus was that they were 5 cent deposits as I recall.

Chromium I remeber Buckhorn...I was poor back then but still had some standards...that was one of the worst.

A quick quart of Falstaff and the riddles were the norm as our after work routine.

Other memories of beer gone by... (or should I say bye?)

Pfieffer
Huber
Olympia

and a good one that I miss Cinci Cream does anybody remember this one? I had the "Handsome waiter" on the label.

Loomis
12-31-2002, 06:03 PM
I thought you might be the one that lost a case of beer on Van Born today. Beers were rolling all over the street, hit 2 myself.... I had too......... I could of caused an accident if I tried to swerve. That's what I tell myself to cope!:D

Banditto
12-31-2002, 06:13 PM
You guys don't know where to look....

Sometimes you have to cross the border into Ind. or Wis. but most of those beers are still available if you know where to look. Try calling one of your local distributors and see if they can get it for you. Granted some have bit the dust.

Bought a case of Pfeiffers at KMart in the U.P. back in 1992 for $2.99. You could still get it downtown Detroit (only on tap) as of a couple years ago--maybe still?

Blatz was great piss warm. Mainly because the after taste is so bad that you need to immediately wash it down with another one.

Funny but sad story is my sister and I don't along AT ALL. anyhow she said "I have never even been into a bar..." la-di-da And I come back with "some of my best years have been spent in bars." Hey what can I say, I lived in the U.P. not much else to do there in the off season.

jdt
12-31-2002, 09:09 PM
guiness stout or molson ale!
the stuff on the shelves suck!! i brew my own,except for the aboved mentioned!

nymph
12-31-2002, 10:17 PM
Aaaaahhhhh, I remeber the days of Schlitz Ice and Red, White & Blue. We used to get cases of Schlitz ice for $7.00 O.T.D. Of course we would spent the same amount the next day on T.P.!:eek:

nymph

pmtiny
01-01-2003, 03:49 PM
Altes was cheap, and not too bad

Banditto
01-01-2003, 06:05 PM
Almost forgot to add my wifes family is from Wisconsin. My father-in-law worked at Schlitz for a while doing ever aspect of brewing so we have a lot of old Schlitz paraphenalia around the basement.

Funny joke around our house when somebody gets the poops from drinking beer "I got a case of the Schlitz"

SPORTSMAN
01-01-2003, 09:04 PM
Anyone remember the round plastic kegs in a box? was that called olimpic or something like that.

Bumble
01-01-2003, 09:54 PM
We used to drink Weidemans. They came in a little brown bottle. We used to call it "Nectar of the Gods"

YPSIFLY
01-01-2003, 10:02 PM
SPORTSMAN,

We used to call them Party Balls. They held a little over a case and a half and required the use of a tapper. It was cheaper to get two cases of cans.

All the big boys brewed them.

Does anyone remember an ale that has disappeared called Midnight Dragon? It came in 40 .oz bottles and had a viking ship on the label. It was brewed somewhere in Ohio. I haven't seen it in ten years.

It wasn't the best ale, but there's something about a 40 with a label like that.:cool:

jefrat72
01-02-2003, 01:18 PM
I liked Altes and have been looking a long time for that beer. Last I read it went out of business in the late 80s early 90s. It was the first beer I ever had, me and my buddy snuck some from his grandfather who had cases upon cases in his garage. I miss that one.
I went to LSSU and was at a party one time, got stupid drunk and swiped a case of Schlitz from the fridge and a couple of buddies and I were going to drink it down by the power canal.... after half a can we dropped the rest off in someones garbage can along the street. That I don't miss and I don't think the folks at the party did either :D

STEINFISHSKI
01-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Milwaukees Best

Strohs 30 packs

Little Kings cream ale

Buckhorn

Old Vienna

Great memories indeed.

mickey
01-02-2003, 02:35 PM
I used to be able to get Hams in K'zoo @ the discount den near WMU campus.
PBR is also on tap at the Green Top Bar (Downtown K'zoo) for a $1 a glass...all day/everyday.

I will work on the others but before long, I will have y'all in a bar near you!
Party Balls. I always wondered what happened to those. A girl from Kalamazoo might still have them :eek: lol

The one I want to know about (where it went) was a malt liquor called Crazy Horse? It is what legends (of their own minds) are made of...

Robert W. McCoy Jr
01-02-2003, 02:56 PM
My favorite is Mich lite.

chad 1
01-02-2003, 07:31 PM
Anyone remember billy beer? Jimmy carters brother made it!!! Years back my ex-brotherinlaw had a few cases stored at my mom and dads house. tryed one can and almost quit drinking beer forever!!! I said almost:D

chad1

Lunker
01-02-2003, 08:36 PM
Little Kings are still around... I think their on Indianna. Little green bottles... too bitter for me though. Croooked I all the way!

Hamilton Reef
01-02-2003, 09:24 PM
When ever we worked on the Indiana streams such as the Trail Creek or Little Calumet (sea lamprey surveys or treatments) there were special runs to the discount beer sales. We needed the first beer run to survive the Indiana heat, mosquitoes, thorns, and poison ivy everywhere. The second beer run loaded up the vehicles and trailers with cheap beer at half the price of Michigan with no deposits to head back home.

We could allways find RedWhiteBlue, Hamms, Weidemans, Buckhorn, or what ever on some sale. With 17 on the crew making 17 recipies of very bad coffee, we were almost desparate enough to drink straight out of Coffee Creek at Chesterton. I would buy Miller Lite and some liquour on sale to take back for those that visited my home.

During the first years of Michigan deposit we also learned that cheap beer from Indiana plus deposit return in Michigan equaled Free Beer! Remember the ole saying "the best beer is a free beer".

YPSIFLY
01-03-2003, 01:17 AM
Mickey,

Crazy Horse was taken off of the shelves because of a lawsuit much like the one that changed EMU's mascot from a Huron to an Eagle.:mad:

We now have new ones like Steel Reserve and Camo: you know its good when it has a camoflauge label. For the drunk who wants to blend in with his surroundings.

Hey, does anyone remember Cool Colt? It was mint flavored Colt 45 malt liquor in a winter-green label. I'm not joking! They made this stuff for a short time in '92.

"Yeah it tastes like mouthwash, but hey, no beer breath!"

I remember it well: Freshman year and only a Freshman would be stupid enough to try that crap. lol

jefrat72
01-03-2003, 09:07 AM
For those of you who were interested in Lowenbrau Origional it is out. I got some last night, real good stuff. It is imported by Labatts right from Germany.

A good beer we had in Canada was call Lake Superior Beer. We got a huge draft at a pub in the Soo Ont for $5 Canadian, or about .50 US. :D
The Canadians thought of it as moose pi$$ but we American college kids loved it.

Another cool thing about Canada was that we got "real" Canadian beer, not the watered down version sold here. We were burnt out on Molson Ice before it even got to my hometown. Went back one Xmas to find all my buddies drinking this 'NEW' Canadian beer :rolleyes:
If you ever are in Canada long enough stop at the duty free store on the way back and pick up some Molson XXX. 7.3% Alc, good stuff.

flannelfish
01-03-2003, 11:50 AM
they're al pi$$ed away

Hamilton Reef
01-05-2003, 10:00 PM
Oh oh guys. I got this bad news email I felt compelled to share.

Disturbing Beer News

University scientists released the results of a recent analysis that revealed the presence of female hormones in beer. Men should take a concerned look at their beer consumption. The theory is that beer contains female hormones (hops contain phytoeostrogens) and that by drinking enough beer, men turn into women. To test the theory, 100 men were fed 8 pints of beer each within a 1 hour period. It was then observed that 100% of the test subjects:

1.) Gained weight
2.) Talked excessively without making sense
3.) Became overly emotional
4.) Couldn't drive
5.) Failed to think rationally
6.) Argued over nothing
7.) Had to sit down while urinating
8.) Refused to apologize when obviously wrong

No further testing was considered necessary

twodogsphil
01-06-2003, 09:06 AM
How about Frankenmuth beer with the pheasant on the label. Later the Frankenmuth brewery started bottling Carlings Black Label beer and ale (Mabel, Black Label).