PDA

View Full Version : Is frozen ground venison refreezable after thawed?

habs25
01-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi..

I searched a bunch of posts but cant figure this out... pay attention:

-I shot a deer in October. It was warm so I had the butcher grind the deer into 1 pd packs - I froze the ground meat.

-I want to take the already ground, frozen packs out of my freezer now and make my sausage.

- Would refreezing the now made sausage be a problem? (normally I dont do the pre-grinding or pre -freezing)

-I dont want to "CURE" the meat.

Thanks!!

lookin for the gills
01-16-2009, 01:07 PM
My guess would be no, thats just because I have had bad experiences with refroze burger

Michihunter
01-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Although this pertains to ground beef, I'm sure it would apply to venison as well. Straight from the USDA-http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Factsheets/Ground_Beef_and_Food_Safety/index.asp
What is the best way to thaw ground beef?
The best way to safely thaw ground beef is in the refrigerator. Keeping meat cold while it is defrosting is essential to prevent growth of bacteria. Cook or refreeze it within 1 or 2 days.

To defrost ground beef more rapidly, you can defrost in the microwave oven or in cold water. If using the microwave, cook the ground beef immediately because some areas may begin to cook during the defrosting. To defrost in cold water, put the meat in a watertight plastic bag and submerge. Change the water every 30 minutes. Cook immediately. Do not refreeze ground meat thawed in cold water or in the microwave oven.

Never leave ground beef or any perishable food out at room temperature for more than 2 hours.

habs25
01-16-2009, 01:38 PM
...thanks guys..

Maybe I'll just take my lumps and keep my ground beef packs for chilli and spag sauce....

bluegillman
01-16-2009, 04:01 PM
I thaw venison and make snack stick/summer sausage all the time. as long as you are putting a cure like tenderquick it will be fine. Any meat can be refrozen. It just breaks down the quaility. I have corned venison working right now from frozen roasts and I will refreeze when they are done. Ron

habs25
01-16-2009, 05:19 PM
thanks BlueGillman.

It seems though your game has gone thru some sort of process before you refreeze....

I will not be putting the game back through any process....

Just simply refreezing thawed ground meat..

bluegillman
01-16-2009, 07:34 PM
If your making summer sausage, you are using a mix or recipe, that will have cure or slt pter or something. I f you are making sausage you are changing the make up of the meat. I am eating a summer sausage now made with bacon and it freezes fine. I smoke mine, but you can do the same thing in the oven. If you want more info. you can pm me. maybe I should back up. You said you don't want to cure the meat. If you are just making breakfast style sausage you should be fine. It could affect the flavor some after a period of time in the freezer

alex-v
01-17-2009, 09:57 AM
I will not be putting the game back through any process....

Just simply refreezing thawed ground meat..
Then why defrost it???

If you are going to make sausage with it as you said in your first msg then you are going through a process. You will be adding salts and nitrates along with spices. These salts and nitrates actually help to preserve the meat mixture by preventing or slowing down the growth of bacteria. Making sausage out of meat is mankind's most popular way of preserving meat and people have been doing it for thousands of years.

Reading a good sausage making and recipe cookbook will help not only with making the sausages but will also help explain why certain spices and nitrates are used.

habs25
01-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the replies...

I need to do it without Nitrates though.. I can't eat Msg, Nitrates etc.. They make me sick. (salt is fine tho)

I have made lotsa salamis, sausages etc in the past, without injecting chemicals to stop bacteria..

Im just wondering if anyone has thawed ground meat and then refreezed it. I have done it with other cuts, but never ground....

Thanks guys!

alex-v
01-17-2009, 12:55 PM
IF you do not allow the meat to get much warmer than above freezing and act quickly in making your sausage and then promptly refreeze it you should be OK. More than once I have read articles on meat preservation that say as long as the meat still retains some of the ice crystals it should be OK to refreeze.

Salt is a preservative all by itself. Sprinkle a little bit of salt on your work surface when making sausage to help retard the growth of bacteria.

http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=table+salt&gwp=13

habs25
01-18-2009, 06:47 PM
Ya, I 've been doing a bunch of research and that seems to be the concencus... I just dont think (or want to work that fast) that it it would be an enjoyable day racing against the thaw...

Ill just get new meat and save this groung up for pasta or chilli!!

Thanks again

alex-v
01-19-2009, 09:12 AM
... I just dont think (or want to work that fast) that it it would be an enjoyable day racing against the thaw...
If you do the work in a cool environment like an unheated room you should be able to work on the sausage for several hours. Avoid heated rooms like kitchens. People would be surprised at the number of times the beef, pork, or chicken has been frozen and thawed before it hits the cooler at the supermarket...and they take these same thawed meats home and put them back into their freezer.

habs25
01-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Ya, I can only imagine.... yukkkkkkkkkk!!!