PDA

View Full Version : Black Flies

vanwagm
05-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Was thinking of taking a trip to the UP in July. I heard of the black flies being a pain. Can I expect to be bothered in July? If so, what do you guys use to cope with them?

itchn2fish
05-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Just bring a headnet & full-brimmed hat to keep the net off of your ears or a body suit. If they are indeed that bad, which they are usually not (alot of hype), you can break out the head net. They can be super bad at times (hence the hype), and you may have to even cover your hands and tuck your sleeves in. Last July & August, it was so dry, that I rarely even sprayed any DEET (I hate that crap), depending on the terrrain/area. If we get reasonable rainfall, then you will want to be prepared.

M1Tanker
05-29-2008, 08:11 PM
A lot of hype...they can be annoying but if you enjoy getting out fishing you can deal with them.

In my experience, they are a lot worse right now than they will be come July/August...now the mosquitoes can be a pain in July/August...especially when the sun goes down.

Zorba
05-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Black flies should be done by then. They usually come out with the first real heat of the season. May - early June. It's the skeeters, deer flies, tics,ect.. that you should prepare for. Bring lots of deet, long sleve shirts and pants. Just in case. Have fun.

BeWild
05-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Quite a few flies out now, but they should die down. As this is my first summer I can't weigh in that much, but from what I have seen and talking to people there are quite a few ticks this year.

Macker13
05-30-2008, 06:24 AM
Last weekend the black flies were out in full in the Central U.P.. Once you got out to the big lake (Superior, Michigan) the wind made it bug free, always a bonus for me. We found more ticks than usual on our clothing while we were in the woods, I thought it was early for them. Zorba is spot on with his insect assesment.

jellybread
05-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Was thinking of taking a trip to the UP in July. I heard of the black flies being a pain. Can I expect to be bothered in July?

I did the Fox in July a few years ago and I was covered in my own blood from crushing these little vampires (they hurt!). A couple of miles down the road at the campsite, there wasn't a bug to be found. If you have a brush cut hair style, then you need worry more than others, since they seem to like crawling around on this sort of texture (which is nearly more annoying than their bite).

I've never heard any "hype". They really are "that bad" if they decide to bug you. Some people in my group had no problem (I must have bad karma).

Ansel
05-30-2008, 08:49 AM
I agree they are anything BUT a lot of "hype"......This is no yooper made up story to keep the "trunk slammers" out...this stuff can end a good time real quick. It seems they are worse in the early morning and then again in the evening. Mid May and June are the worse.....that goes for ticks as well...and that another subject.

itchn2fish
05-30-2008, 11:31 AM
A lot of hype...they can be annoying but if you enjoy getting out fishing you can deal with them.

In my experience, they are a lot worse right now than they will be come July/August...now the mosquitoes can be a pain in July/August...especially when the sun goes down. He's got it!!! Those times I didn't spray down or carry DEET, the skeeters were managable...untill the sun set....and then, because I wasn't carrying DEET, I have been driven off of the creek, fleeing before I didn't have any blood left to feed the hungary bastages.
I guess by hype, I meant not to downplay them, because I have been infested by swarms, but only occasionally. The worst was even worse than any so-called hype. Even with headnets, and soaked in DEET, they were swarming all over us in clouds by the millions, but that is a rare ocassion, most of the time they are manageable.

BeWild
06-01-2008, 11:01 PM
I experienced my first UP swarm of skeeters this afternoon. Forgot to throw the OFF in the car when I left and only fished for 45 minutes before both my arms got tired of hitting the other one. I am now a firm believer in that it's not just a "hype" theory. On the good side, I did manage three small brookies before I left though.

Ansel
06-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Skeeters and Flies are totally different....! There are many types of pesky flies. The "black fly" and the "Stable Fly (sometimes called Fish Fly) are both very common in the UP. The "stable fly" packs a puch right from the beginning. Most of the times these are found on the shore of the Lake. The "black fly" is much more stealth like, very small, taking a chunk leaving you bloody and wondering what hit you. For me "black fly" bites leave me swelled up and itching worse than any skitter bite. They like to get in your hair line, down your shirt, down your waist band and do there damage.

UPJerry
06-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Skeeters and Flies are totally different....! There are many types of pesky flies. The "black fly" and the "Stable Fly (sometimes called Fish Fly) are both very common in the UP. The "stable fly" packs a puch right from the beginning. Most of the times these are found on the shore of the Lake. The "black fly" is much more stealth like, very small, taking a chunk leaving you bloody and wondering what hit you. For me "black fly" bites leave me swelled up and itching worse than any skitter bite. They like to get in your hair line, down your shirt, down your waist band and do there damage.
Don't forget horse flies and, probably my least favorite of all, sand flies (the latter perhaps being the same as the stable fly)!

jellybread
06-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Something to sing the next time you are in yooper country.

http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_v2_download_shared_file&file_id=f_25052998
And the black flies, the little black flies
Always the black fly no matter where you go
I'll die with the black fly a-pickin' my bones
In North Ontar-i-o-i-o, In North Ontar-i-o
By Wade Hemsworth - 1949

Ansel
06-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Don't forget horse flies and, probably my least favorite of all, sand flies (the latter perhaps being the same as the stable fly)!

...that's right...don't want to forget those MONSTER, size of a hummingbird horse flies. But then there are the Deer Flies...the kind that get tangled in your hair...nasty buggers. You got to be hardcore to play in "God's Country"...;)...isn't that so Jerry! :)

redneckdan
06-04-2008, 08:55 AM
I went rock climbing out near mohawk last weekend. The flies were out in force. Its hard to tell whats worse, the sun burn or the zillion itchy welts.

UPJerry
06-05-2008, 11:26 AM
...that's right...don't want to forget those MONSTER, size of a hummingbird horse flies. But then there are the Deer Flies...the kind that get tangled in your hair...nasty buggers. You got to be hardcore to play in "God's Country"...;)...isn't that so Jerry! :)
No doubt.

I was out the last couple days and the mosquitos were out in force. I mean really bad. I should have put on the 100% DEET... my usual lemon eucalyptus Repel just wasn't cutting it!

Fishnmachine
06-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Something to sing the next time you are in yooper country.

http://www.box.net/index.php?rm=box_v2_download_shared_file&file_id=f_25052998And the black flies, the little black flies

Always the black fly no matter where you go

I'll die with the black fly a-pickin' my bones

In North Ontar-i-o-i-o, In North Ontar-i-o
By Wade Hemsworth - 1949

I was in northren Ontario last weekend, and the bugs were really bad, some have old stories of people getting lost in the bush and die from the bugs, there have been times I belive it when they are really going strong, cool and wet makes them bad, hot and dry will make the bugs better, wind and clouds always help.

BigT
06-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Bring your head gear long sleeve shirt brown gloves duct tape not a good shirt for when you douse it in deep woods it woint matter. Fishing on the tabacco river right now and the knats are harsh when the wind quits blowing. But I,m outdoors not stuck at work good luck enjoy the U.P. ps the sgrooms are out up here and the trout are biting

bmbiff
06-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Was thinking, wow this is one of the first nice weather days I have had to go trouncing around the trout streams, usually its been cold,overcast and rainy. I got out of my truck and instantly remembered this post, and the fact that I had no spray whatsoever on me. Had to put on a sweatshirt and the hood while I walked upriver and fished through the swarms, only made it about a quarter mile upriver and a couple small brookies later and I called it quits. Still swatting a few out of my truck that got in there when I pulled up with the window half down. Black flies and mostly mosquitos.

Gina Fox
06-08-2008, 04:24 PM
I received an email a couple weeks ago about uses for Bounce dryer sheets, one of them was an insect repellant. tuck one in your collar and one in your back pocket....

My Uncle lives on Manitoulin Island and the black flies are out in force, he and his fishing partner went out and used the Bounce dryer sheets and were not bothered in the least!

My Aunt was gardening and they avoided her too...works for mosquitos as well...

To bad I didn't remember when I was up North this past weekend...I have a half a dozen welts from black flies that made me nuts actually took Benedryl and slathered After Bite on them for the past 4 days...looks like they are getting better, but still itch just not as much. It was my first experience with them. I WILL remember to try the Bounce

gogoman
06-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Gina, great tip! thanks.

Gina Fox
06-09-2008, 06:00 PM
let me know if it works!!!

needfishing
06-09-2008, 07:35 PM
12 years ago I built a new house right near the creek. Now I have to tell you, you don't know what Black flies are untill you live with them averyday all day. I tried everything in the book, Vitiamin B1 taken twice a day helps but I forget to take it sometimes and unless you take it all the time it don't work. Off works good if you can stand to have that stuff on you all the time, and it ruins clothes and some plastics. The best thing I found is called BITE FREE and it Contains no Deet, it is a Citronella lotion. It smells good, last long, and is easy on the skin. Just remember it is a minimum risk pesticide so wash hands before eating.

Gina Fox
06-09-2008, 08:16 PM
[quote=needfishing;2153576]12 years ago I built a new house right near the creek. Now I have to tell you, you don't know what Black flies are untill you live with them averyday all day.

OK you be the tester put those Bounce in your shirt collar or back pocket and let us know how they work!

needfishing
06-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Ginna Fox,
I have tried the Bounce thing years ago and it did keep them off in the area of the sheet but you would have to cover all exposed skin to keep them off and they still land in your eyes. Besides The Bounce will make you sick after while, it did me. The very best thing I found back in the 80's was a product that Avon use to sell and I don't know the name of it but it was a bath oil that was pink in color. Now don't get confused and think it was "Skin So Soft" that's the one Avon thought it was and it wasn't. The product was a bath oil just like Skin So Soft but it was pink in color and had the faint smell of Off repelant but was much milder and would smell good as well as keeping your skin soft. Over the years since 1980 when I first bought this land and started fishing and hunting here I have tried everything I heard about and that was the best. I never got bothered while wearing it and I wish they would market it again but I don't remember the name of it. The closest I have come since is the stuff in my above post and with that you have to keep applying it if you are out all day. Now I tried a Patch that seems to work later in the summer after the heat dries the air a little more ( moist air makes them worse, they swarm more) but you have to apply a new one every night the day before you are going out and they cost about $2 a patch. They are called "Omezone Defend" and they may be cheaper now. They are not a 100% but they help a lot. If anybody's grandmother or mother or aunt were Avon ladies in the 70's or 80's and they can remember what that Pink bath oil was called, someone might get Avon to market it again. Avon thought it was Skin So Soft that worked and they even tryed marketing that as an insect repellent but beleive me it don't work.

UPJerry
06-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Has anyone tried a local bug repellent called "Don't Bug Me"? It is made in Skandia and marketed by "Yours Truly Tia" (a person named Theresa Israel Asher). I have a bottle that was given to me but I haven't tried it and don't really intend to unless someone else says they've had success with it. Ingredients include the above mentioned Avon Skin So Soft as well as eucalyptus and tea tree oils.

Ansel
06-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Has anyone tried a local bug repellent called "Don't Bug Me"? It is made in Skandia and marketed by "Yours Truly Tia" (a person named Theresa Israel Asher). I have a bottle that was given to me but I haven't tried it and don't really intend to unless someone else says they've had success with it. Ingredients include the above mentioned Avon Skin So Soft as well as eucalyptus and tea tree oils.

I've never heard of it...Give it a try...what do you have to lose other than some blood...;)!

UPJerry
06-11-2008, 04:17 PM
what do you have to lose other than some blood...;)!
Exactly! :lol:

BeWild
06-11-2008, 10:16 PM
I've never heard of it...Give it a try...what do you have to lose other than some blood...;)!

It's just blood right? Surprising how much the little b****** can take out of you in a short time. For work I think they buy the 40% DEET stuff at either Menards or Econo, I can't remember though. Works like a champ. Especially when the sand flies that reside in the bunkers at the course come out to play when the bunkers need a raking.

Bow Hunter Brandon
06-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Lots and Lots of Deet....

:D

Wizard3686
06-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Yes lots of deet is the only way to handle them. Watch ticks to lots and lost of ticks this year i really hate to say how many i have had this year so far.

scotchass
06-13-2008, 01:56 AM
If you really want to be hardcore rub yourself down with pine pitch, not sure if it keeps the bugs away or if they just can't bite through it. I was fishing out by the dead in marquette one day and it was real muggy, actually the worst t-storm I ever witnessed in the UP pushed through as I was on the river and I had to high tail it out of there. I got bit by every bug in the wood, black flies, mosquitos, dearflies, no see ums and even ended up with 2 leaches on my foot because I was wet wading.....I finally made it home and the power was out and it was still pretty dark out. As the storm cleared some sunlight came through the window and I looked down to find the leeches on my foot....I freaked out and poured a whole container of salt on my foot.....What was awesome about the whole storm thing was that once I got back onto the pavement with my car a tree was down across the road...that didn't last long as half the people who were backed up by the tree had a chainsaw in there truck or car, of course as we were clearing the road we got pelted by some nice sized hail.......I rarely got really bother bad by bugs, except on the beeches, but that day was gnarly to say the least.

gdwsr44
06-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Hey Jerry,

I agree that the UP has the biggest horseflies around.Looked outside yesterday and realized my tractor was gone, found out later one of them HF's decided to move it!!!

gdwsr44