PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Tree Blinds/Tree Stands

Remy
03-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Can anyone post some pictures of their "safe" homemade deer stands/blinds? I have three good trees that are clumped together and want to make a blind or stand. I would like to see some examples if possible. Thank you for all your help!!!!!

Pinefarm
03-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Remy, my advice would be to stay away from your idea. I know the lure of what your idea is, but it's potentially very dangerous.

Our camp has been bowhunting since the 1960's and I started in 1978. Back then, we had no commercial stand options and didn't know any better, so all stands were homemade. And often in pronged tree's, like you mention.

Well, what'll happen is everytime the wind blows, 1 of those 3 trunks is pulling the other way from the other, potentially pulling the stand loose. Sure, you can visually check nails or even bolts all the time, but do you want to be in that stand when something you couldn't see fails?

About the only situation I'd suggest for a homemade stand would be a massive oak, where you could build a stand in the saddle where 2-3 large trucks create like a 3 pronged V. But even then, you have to be careful.

If individual tree's are involved, stick with a good commercial hang on or ladder stand IMHO.

DTrain
03-10-2008, 04:52 PM
I agree with pine. I have one home made stand that i haven't use for a couple years now and it will be coming down this spring into the scrap pile. Just don't trust it anymore.

benster
03-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Like pinefarm said use a store bought stand. Depending on the types of trees and their growing rates they will not be safe for long. Ever notice how hard it is to take some stands down that have been up too long? You will have the same problem if you try to lag bolt something into a tree. After awhile the tree will pull the bolts through the wood you put them in. This will also weaken the tree and give insects a place to attack the tree. The bark of a tree is like your skin so if you open a wound the more chance of infection. Better to be safe and be able to hunt for many more years.

Partikle
03-11-2008, 07:00 PM
I would never build a portable wood stand for fear of getting killed but we have some permanent stands using lag bolts for the flooring, presure treated wood and we put them in cedar trees. Even if you fall, there are tons of branches on the way down so you would not fall directly to the ground without hiting lots of branches first.

We also find you have better cover in the cedars and they don't stand out like a sore thumb. Trespassers don't even see them when they walk by so it's great. It also comes in handy during the windy days in the late season; the trees keep the wind down so you don't freeze. We tried pine trees but the sap is too sticky so we stick with cedars and use lag bolts for safety and to eliminate squeaks.
Here is one we built, the 3rd picture is taken from the ground looking up at the tree.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/partikle/tree3.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/partikle/tree2.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/partikle/tree1.jpg

It's only about 11 feet off the ground but I've had tons of deer walk by under this stand during the past 3 years including a huge buck in November 2006.

slowpoke
03-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Can anyone post some pictures of their "safe" homemade deer stands/blinds? I have three good trees that are clumped together and want to make a blind or stand. I would like to see some examples if possible. Thank you for all your help!!!!!

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/500/medium/100_1226.JPG

There is some green artificial Christmas trees added to the sides of the ladder to camouflage it up and it hides it very well. The deer has gotten use to it and will walk close while you are in it buy if the wind is right.

jdub
03-12-2008, 03:06 PM
My Dad and I built this one last spring, I didn't like the idea, to big and noticeable i've had deer walk right under me.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/500/medium/Blind.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/500/medium/blindfloor.jpg[/IMG]

hunterrep
03-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Wow, those are nice at first but wait until the wind starts moving those trees around and the nails or bolts start working loose. I like the wood ladder stand, looks like 7 of mine also garnished with the Xmas trees but I would never advise using multiple trees like the one above. Mother nature will win that battle. The good part is, you don't have real far to fall.

PA BUCK 2
03-13-2008, 07:03 AM
I would agree- with the price of some of the stands you can probably buy a decent one for less money than building them yourself anyway.

SingleShooter
03-13-2008, 08:02 AM
I hunt from store bought ladder stands as of now but in the future wouldnt mind building one in a tree like some shown. Only reason for that is cause its nice to have a roof over your head, more room, more comfortable if you wanna sit all day long, if you have kids they can go too, etc. I know some people are saying they are not safe but if done properly they can be done very safely built and last for awhile. Im not saying theyll last forever but when the time comes youll know when to take it down and quit using it.

jdub
03-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Wow, those are nice at first but wait until the wind starts moving those trees around and the nails or bolts start working loose. I like the wood ladder stand, looks like 7 of mine also garnished with the Xmas trees but I would never advise using multiple trees like the one above. Mother nature will win that battle. The good part is, you don't have real far to fall.

It's not in the pics, but we added spreaders in between each trunk 6 feet above the roof that prevent the trunks moving inward seperately, and then wrapped a steel cable with a come-along around the outsided of the trunks at the same level as the spreaders and tighten, these two things together keep the three trunks moving together. Nothing has pulled apart yet and it's been up almost a year. I have aonther one that is a bow stand similar to the one in the first post that has been up for 8 years now.

KEN WES.
03-13-2008, 02:07 PM
We have a number of bolted on tree stands that are between trees or in between clusters of limbs on big oak trees. we found the nails would pull loose over time, weakening the stand. we have since gone to lag bolting the cross supports with 3/8" stainless lag bolts and then building a free floating platform that is not nailed to the supports on the tree. this allows the trees to move in, out and sideways with out damaging the stand. the platforms main supports are extended beyond the outside of the tree about 1 ft on both sides and the main supports on the tree extend out wider that the platform about 18" on both sides. this has worked very well for us. we also check the stands out very well before season.
I have sat in these through some very hard winds and watched the platform float freely and not bind.
they do squeak as the wood rubs on the supporting wood so we put some heavy plastic on both wear surfaces and lubed it with silicone gease.

michigandeerslayer
03-13-2008, 09:02 PM
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/500/medium/100_1226.JPG

There is some green artificial Christmas trees added to the sides of the ladder to camouflage it up and it hides it very well. The deer has gotten use to it and will walk close while you are in it buy if the wind is right.

is that pressure treaded wood? How high up is that? Looks solid to me

slowpoke
03-15-2008, 09:43 AM
is that pressure treaded wood? How high up is that? Looks solid to me

It is solid. Easy to get into. Not noise. Can stand up or set down. Was brought at a garage sell cheap.

cpd102
04-29-2008, 08:34 PM
03-13-2008 03:07 PMKEN WES.
I would like to see some photographs of your engineering. Your suggestions sound interesting

outdoor_m_i_k_e
04-29-2008, 09:11 PM
or if your up for really doing some building, screw using the trees, use some 4x6's or 4x8's and cement em in the ground and use em that way. . build strong enough, never hafta worry bout wind. .

DoubleDropTineTrouble
04-29-2008, 10:26 PM
Ladder stands made from treated Oak (a slight cost increase) last for years. I hunt several old stands that have stood the test of time...all around 18' in the air (sorry, no pics). You can buy a bolt on seat pretty cheap if the woods ones don't do it for you. The deer dont seem to mind them since many have been in the woods the entire life of the deer.

Like many others, i'd advise securing to only one tree, and use cross bracing like Slowpokes. The winds in november can really get a tree moving and can tear apart even the most solid triangular bracing between trees. The larger the tree the better.

A plus of these is they are not targeted by thieves/scrappers. Downside is that the oak gets pretty slippery in the rain/ice combos we seem to always get on opening day.

00Buckshot69
04-30-2008, 05:32 AM
I run a tool shop and had one of my CAD guy's do this in 3D. I also have a welder/fab guy to build it. Now all I will need is 3 men and a boy to put it up.791

bigrackmack
04-30-2008, 07:53 AM
When I was in Scotland Stag hunting we hunted some times at night out of these....they called them highchairs...http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/mayflowerconstruction/Deerpicsbehindthehouselateseason153.jpg

bigrackmack
04-30-2008, 07:54 AM
The Forestry Division would make one and drop it off for a pattern...http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/mayflowerconstruction/Deerpicsbehindthehouselateseason155.jpg

bigrackmack
04-30-2008, 07:57 AM
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/mayflowerconstruction/Deerpicsbehindthehouselateseason156.jpg

bigrackmack
04-30-2008, 08:04 AM
I'm not a big fan of homemade stands, but these thing were pretty solid....and it didn't cost them any money for materials.....and they were pretty compfortible...........Mack

mich buckmaster
04-30-2008, 11:08 AM
Shoot we have 20 homemade stands ALL over the properties and they are MORE safe then the store bought in my opinion. 16 foot ladder stands with arm braces, huge seat, all 2X4 construction, with 3/4" plywood. They are used with screws and I will tell you they are the best ladder stand I have ever used. I dont have pictures but I will try and get some soon.

cpd102
04-30-2008, 06:56 PM
I would like to see some photographs of your engineering. Your suggestions sound interesting
cpd102

jjc155
04-30-2008, 08:00 PM
After falling and nearly breaking my back/neck about 4 years ago ( I still hurt sometimes) while climbing out of a homemade tree stand I will never use one ever again, its just not worth it.

Heres the particulars on the stand: 10ft off the ground, platform and ladder built a mere two weeks earlier by an aquaintance who coincidentily is a licensed residential and commerial builder with years of experience! Built out of pressure treated lumber and appropriate sized/type fasteners.

While climbing down one of the rungs of the ladder (homemade and VERY similar to many of the ones posted above) broke. This sent me down causing my legs to split (one leg either side) of the next rung, which spun me 180deg so my head was now falling straight down. I landed on my upper back between my shoulder blades pretty much flat on the ground, feet pointing skyward (all 220lbs of me basically pile drived the ground). I credit not being dead to one of my shoulders hitting a tree stump on the ground which spun me just enough to keep me from hitting sqaure on my neck/back of my head.

From that point on I would rather sit on the ground at the base of a tree, down wind from the deer wearing cologne than sit in a homemade stand. Also from that day I wear a full harness with a main line from ground to stand and use a teather when using my climber. I was not wearing a harness the day I fell due to the configuration of the stand/trees it was in it was not possible to mainline, at least thats what I felt at that time.

I will end this with a short true life antidote that I was involved in one day: My partner and I were walking through a low income housing project in the city that we are cops in. While walking through we stopped to watch a 8year old, obviously no parental supervison having, boy setting up a small excercise tramboline under a tree. He then shimmied up the tree to a limb that was about 8 ft off the ground. At that point, both knowing the young mans intent, we called out to him and stopped him. I chuckled thinking about similar stupid stuff I had done growing up and asked the young man what he was planning on doing. To which he replied the obvious " I;m gonna jump out of the tree onto the tramboline and go flying." Just as I was about to tell him the flaws in his plan and with out skipping a beat my partner chimes in with "You want me to call you an ambulance now or wait to you bust your ass?" This moment was lost on the young man as he looked at us both cracking up laughing. We tried to explain to the young boy that his idea was not very good and then got rid of the obviously abandoned tramboline as he did not get the physics behind our arguement.

I think of that story every time I read a "Home made stand thread" and always chuckle about " You want me to call you an ambulance now or wait till you bust your ass?" The choice is your's but in my opinion sooner or later your ass is gonna get busted (or worse).

Please be safe,
J-

mich buckmaster
05-01-2008, 09:44 AM
After falling and nearly breaking my back/neck about 4 years ago ( I still hurt sometimes) while climbing out of a homemade tree stand I will never use one ever again, its just not worth it.

Heres the particulars on the stand: 10ft off the ground, platform and ladder built a mere two weeks earlier by an aquaintance who coincidentily is a licensed residential and commerial builder with years of experience! Built out of pressure treated lumber and appropriate sized/type fasteners.

While climbing down one of the rungs of the ladder (homemade and VERY similar to many of the ones posted above) broke. This sent me down causing my legs to split (one leg either side) of the next rung, which spun me 180deg so my head was now falling straight down. I landed on my upper back between my shoulder blades pretty much flat on the ground, feet pointing skyward (all 220lbs of me basically pile drived the ground). I credit not being dead to one of my shoulders hitting a tree stump on the ground which spun me just enough to keep me from hitting sqaure on my neck/back of my head.

From that point on I would rather sit on the ground at the base of a tree, down wind from the deer wearing cologne than sit in a homemade stand. Also from that day I wear a full harness with a main line from ground to stand and use a teather when using my climber. I was not wearing a harness the day I fell due to the configuration of the stand/trees it was in it was not possible to mainline, at least thats what I felt at that time.

I will end this with a short true life antidote that I was involved in one day: My partner and I were walking through a low income housing project in the city that we are cops in. While walking through we stopped to watch a 8year old, obviously no parental supervison having, boy setting up a small excercise tramboline under a tree. He then shimmied up the tree to a limb that was about 8 ft off the ground. At that point, both knowing the young mans intent, we called out to him and stopped him. I chuckled thinking about similar stupid stuff I had done growing up and asked the young man what he was planning on doing. To which he replied the obvious " I;m gonna jump out of the tree onto the tramboline and go flying." Just as I was about to tell him the flaws in his plan and with out skipping a beat my partner chimes in with "You want me to call you an ambulance now or wait to you bust your ass?" This moment was lost on the young man as he looked at us both cracking up laughing. We tried to explain to the young boy that his idea was not very good and then got rid of the obviously abandoned tramboline as he did not get the physics behind our arguement.

I think of that story every time I read a "Home made stand thread" and always chuckle about " You want me to call you an ambulance now or wait till you bust your ass?" The choice is your's but in my opinion sooner or later your ass is gonna get busted (or worse).

Please be safe,
J-

VERY NICE POST!! I agree, BUT I have used homemade tree stands my WHOLE life I have used them for 23 years, and so have my friends, family and MANY people I know. I have seen just as many people fall out of normal stands bought as I have homemade, USUALLY when climbing on limbs that break. Our homemade stands are made of 2X4s and plywood and they are looked at every year for unspection. The other stands are plywood with conduit braces for the bottom with chain. I know LOTS of people around my area that use these HOMEmade stands and NEVER had one fall. NOW does that mean that I am for some of the stands I have seen in the woods??? NOPE, I just believe that our homes are made HOMEMADE and if you build them secure enough, you wont have to worry about them. Just my 02