PDA

View Full Version : Found Tick on my Dog

Steelheadfred
11-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Just pulled a tick off my Dog Hilde's neck.

I have never seen one before, had to google it.

http://www.interiorhealth.ca/NR/rdonlyres/B97507AB-693C-4372-BC23-0C5F8B81CBF7/2264/IxodesPacificuswithtext.jpg

I also found an are of iritation on her neck, looked like an area with a big zit under the skin.

Do I need to be concerned about this?

I thought once we had a couple frosts they were no longer an issue.

For what it is worth I live in Grand Traverse County

kek25
11-17-2007, 01:40 PM
I haven't had a tick on my dogs yet, but I heard that if you pull them off while they are feeding you could leave the head or part of the head behind. Might want to call your vet and see if that's an issue.

Drifter Saver
11-17-2007, 02:16 PM
Did you see the head when you pulled it out? They are easy enough to see. If so, nothing you can do but wait and see. I have had many ticks on me and my dogs. I think we are both ok...according to me :D

colehatch
11-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Fritz,

I pulled one off Lily last fall...I hate those effin things. I was petting her and something fell off from around her ear that looked like a pink piece of corn. Upon closer inspection I saw it was one of those sick nasty little bastards (did I mention I don't like ticks :rant:).

Anyway, I took it to the vet and they sent it to MSU to see if it had Lyme's. Fortunately it didn't. The reason I bring this up though is they will send it in and test it for free because they want to track which ticks are in certain areas and follow any associated issues they might carry. There is a very slight risk it has Lyme's and dogs can be treated for it. If you still have it haul it into the vet and they should ship it off for you at no charge for study purposes.

PahtridgeHunter
11-17-2007, 03:10 PM
One important thing to remember is the tick has to be attached for a minimum of 48 hours to transmit Lyme's Disease. This is, of course, assuming that particular tick carried the virus.;)

Steelheadfred
11-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the info.

I have it in a bag, the head still appears to be attached, but it looks to have been feeding...

It is still alive. I will take it on Monday Jeff thanks for the advice.

Fritz

hyperformance1
11-17-2007, 03:41 PM
I get them on my dogs all the time in the warmer months. I check them over once a week pull them off and squash them. Never had a problem. Nasty suckers though.

Rudi's Dad
11-17-2007, 05:29 PM
At least it wasnt found on the wife's neck, that could have been interesting.

ScavengerMan
11-18-2007, 07:40 AM
I've never got a tick on a dog in Michigan during the fall. However, no place I've been even compares to the "hallowed grouse grounds" of Northern Wisconsin. The deer ticks are so bad in the fall I quit going on an annual hunting trip because of them. It's a constant battle with those darn things up there using sprays, foams, coaming the dogs out after every outing and still ending up with dangerous pencil erasers in them. We sure are fortunate not to have to deal with that around here.....

dogwhistle
11-18-2007, 08:00 AM
i saw some on some dogs earlier in the year. i dosed them all with frontline. it's fairly expensive, but i bought large doses and used a syringe to split them.

bedlyblaster
11-18-2007, 09:38 AM
i pull off 2 or three each fall. normally i dont find them until they are the size of a pea. never had an issue. just pull them off and soak the bite with alcohol. they are hard to find.
bedly

Big Daddy Benelli
11-18-2007, 09:42 AM
just put nail polish on it's butt and they can't breathe and back out of the dog...

FindTheBird
11-18-2007, 10:13 AM
I've seen more this year than any other: probably in the neigborhood of 15-20. The strange thing is that I saw all of them between early spring and mid-summer--zero this fall even though I've had my dogs out quite a bit.

lking
11-18-2007, 04:12 PM
About 3 years ago I pulled 86 ticks off of one lab following one day of hunting. 86 ticks in a day, counted every one of them...not fun, but something we deal with here in WI daily.:sad:

harehound
11-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Don't any of you use a topical treatment on your dogs like Front-Line etc.?

GSP Gal
11-18-2007, 04:35 PM
About 3 years ago I pulled 86 ticks off of one lab following one day of hunting. 86 ticks in a day, counted every one of them...not fun, but something we deal with here in WI daily.:sad:

That's what you get for hogging all the grouse. :D

midwestfisherman
11-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Jeez! 86 ticks in one day! Remind me not to go to WI anytime soon!

I use Frontline on my dogs. I've had one tick on them all this year and it wasn't attached.

lking
11-18-2007, 08:06 PM
At the time the dog was on Frontline. Now use Bio-spot, but you have to remember, Harehound, those topicals aren't designed to repel. They will NOT, repeat NOT, keep ticks off of a dog.

omega58
11-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Don't any of you use a topical treatment on your dogs like Front-Line etc.?

I used to use topicals until I realized they were giving my dog seizures on a monthly basis. . . . I'll take my chances with a tick over seizures.:dizzy:

BTW - not one tick on my dog ever. . . .this spring, my 2 year old son got one on his neck while walking in the turkey woods with me.

Easiest, best thing to do is pull it off with tweezers very gently.

And dog ticks do not transmit Lyme's disease, just deer ticks. . . looks like you had a dog tick, correct?

gab
11-19-2007, 08:59 AM
I pulled a lot of ticks off the dogs this spring when woodcock banding. I also picked up quite a few this spring. I think my record weekend pulling ticks of myself was 25. I don't mind them that much but my banding assistant (wife) was pretty grossed out when she started picking them off herself. Had no problems with them this fall.

MerlinsMom
11-19-2007, 11:05 AM
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.the-exterminator.com/images/tickmale.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.the-exterminator.com/ticks.htm&h=238&w=320&sz=29&tbnid=i458FZ9xveDUCM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddeer%2Btick%26um%3D1&start=3&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=3

Bear Creek
11-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Fritz,

I'm surprised you found a tick this late in the year? We get them all the time down our way in the spring and summer, but come August they vanish. Looks like a wood tick by the picture. They don't care lyme. You sure you didn't pick that up in Iowa? Normally takes several days of feeding to get that big.

BC

Steelheadfred
11-19-2007, 03:23 PM
Fritz,

I'm surprised you found a tick this late in the year? We get them all the time down our way in the spring and summer, but come August they vanish. Looks like a wood tick by the picture. They don't care lyme. You sure you didn't pick that up in Iowa? Normally takes several days of feeding to get that big.

BC

Could have, still does not explain JandC4birds dog getting two ticks just like it around the ear area. They live North and West of me, but hunt grouse in the same areas.

Bear Creek
11-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Yah those little bastards love ears!! I'm still surprised you could have picked one up this late in the year but its been a strange year. 90 degrees in Oct.!!

BC

qtswede
11-21-2007, 09:16 AM
My vet told me that ticks are around anytime the temp is at 45 or higher. The freeze apparently doesn't affect them too much..

2ESRGR8
11-21-2007, 10:07 AM
Could have, still does not explain JandC4birds dog getting two ticks just like it around the ear area. They live North and West of me, but hunt grouse in the same areas.

With all the trial dogs coming in from out of state and the handlers getting some training and hunting done while here not to mention all of the out of state hunters(southerners) that travel thru the uplands of Michigan I can see this being a spreading problem very quickly.

Bobby
11-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Dog ticks can carry Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. My older setter had it about 1 year back, around Christmas. Thought I was going to loose her. My vet at the time (a non hunting guy) thought it was strange, said this is more prevalent in Western UP. That's where our camp is. I was also in southern Ohio on Nov 19 of last year at a field trial. Another dog that was at that trial and was braced with my dog, was also diagnosed with RSF. We don't know if they picked it up from one or the other. I'm thinking we both picked it up from the area in Ohio (not from the UP) Antibiotics cured it and both dogs are back 100%. In fact the brace mate from Ohio had 2 placements at the same trial this past weekend.

Also, when you remove a tick do not squish it or smash it to kill it. If the tick is infected the body fluids exposed when you squish or smash can be transferred and the squisher can be infected. Flush it or burn it if you're around the camp fire or wood stove.

That's a good idea buying the large dose of Frontline and splitting it amongst dogs. That will save a considerable sum of money.

Frontline does not repel ticks, it kills them after they have sunk their chompers into the dog. They then die and fall off. It's important that when applied to the dog that you hold the dog still for some few minutes while the liquid spreads and is absorbed. If you let the dog loose immediately after applying the treatment most dogs will have a hard shake (as they do when coming out of the water) and this can disperse the Frontline all about the area. You want it on the dog and absorbed.

Whiskey Man
11-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Ticks!!! Here in Pa, it's been a pretty bad year! My Lew has the symptoms of Lyme disease and he is scheduled for testing next week. Has come up lame a half dozen times for no apparent reason. I use biospot and still gets ticks. He even has been vaccinated for Lymes.

Bottom line, don't mess around with ticks, try and prevent them from getting on your dog for longer than 48 hours.

itchn2fish
11-26-2007, 03:59 PM
When I lived in Arkansas, I pulled hundreds of ticks from my beagle. Like it's been said before, pull steadily with a pair of tweezers, then I would place it in a glass ashtray and fry it with a butane lighter.

Jumpshootin'
11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Ticks can be a real problem. I had a girlfriend back in the 70's whose father was freaked out by the thought of them. Every time she would go hunting with me he'd caution against bringing her home with ticks on her back.

WHViz
11-27-2007, 08:54 AM

Yikes!!!:yikes: Those things give me the creeps, ugliest, nastiest insects on the planet. If I had to pull off 86 of them, I would probably have to seek some kind of counseling afterwards.:lol:

BoomerJ
11-27-2007, 10:21 AM
Out here in Cali, we get lots of ticks, pull them off my dogs all the time. My vet vacsanated all 3 of my dogs for lime disease. Even when you cant get the head out (because it broke off), the dogs body will push it out on its own sooner or later.
Disgusting little SOB's cant stand them.
Boomer:yikes:

AireHunter
11-27-2007, 11:50 AM
Yikes!!!:yikes: Those things give me the creeps, ugliest, nastiest insects on the planet. If I had to pull off 86 of them, I would probably have to seek some kind of counseling afterwards.:lol:

Agreed! I was in Oklahoma for an Army school many years ago. The land nav course was full of deer and ticks. The young ticks would infest the grass blades with arms out waiting for a deer or solideir to walk by. You would get hundreds of the newly hatched ones on you at once. Suddenly you'd notice the camo on your leg moving. Most times you could wipe them off before they got attached. Every night we had to check each other in the most intimate places. A few guys got really unlucky. The worst I got was one rider under the armpit. Us "Northeners" would complain about them. A Drill Seargeant, also from Oklahoma, remarked that they were just like the big mosquitos we have up north. I couldn't resist correcting him, "At least the mosquito eats and then know when it time to leave. Those ticks are like house guests that just won't leave!"