PDA

View Full Version : "Varmint" vs "Regular" Rifle in Same Caliber

DTrain
08-08-2007, 09:02 AM
When is an actual "Varmint" rifle warranted vs a regular or sporter rifle in the same caliber, same .223 Rem? It seems the "varmint" rifles are often times much heavier due to the heavy longer barrel.

Seems as though a sporter style rifle in .223 will put down a chuck just as fast as a varmint rifle in .223.

Is it frequency of shots? Does the longer heavy barrel make them that much more accurate?

Carpmaster
08-08-2007, 09:05 AM
From what I have seen in respect to accuracy, there is no difference unless you are shooting in volume. I feel the sporter is better especially if you plan on being mobile. The only exception i guess would be prarie dogs.

Huntsman27
08-08-2007, 09:13 AM
and you can shoot more volume without the heat affecting accuracy. The only time Ive seen this as a help has been on PD shoots out west. We dont have enough chucks to heat a barrel here...out west one can engage multiple targets for hours on end....and wear a barrel out if one gets over zealous. They are usually very accurate [not to say a sporter isnt] but generally speaking they have 26 in BBLs which give optimum velocity and accuracy.
The down side is if you carry one they are like toting a lead weight and cumbersome. Off hand shooting is good especially if done in wind [the gun isnt swayed as much].
Being mobile while shooting PDs I prefer a sporter instead of the HB...those are for benches.

jmoser
08-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Agree with all above. A 'Varmint' rifle should include a 26" or longer heavy bbl with oversize and/or adjustable stock intended to be shot from a bipod or bench. Weight typically over 10 lbs.

Any rifle intended to be carried and/or shot from standard position[s] without aid of a rest should not be called a 'Varmint' rifle.

roger23
08-08-2007, 01:31 PM
more important I think a .223 accuracy depends on the twist of the rifling

DTrain
08-08-2007, 01:44 PM
more important I think a .223 accuracy depends on the twist of the rifling

Do you know what is the most accurate twist?

roger23
08-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Do you know what is the most accurate twist?

every thing depends on bullet weight .I know some .223 were made with 1 in 7.5 they sucked .I was always told and had good results with a 1 in 9 but the big boys said 1 in 12. read this and form your own opinion

http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/shooting/article/0,19912,540468,00.html

QuakrTrakr
08-08-2007, 02:24 PM
"Bull" barrels are less prone to be affected by the heat from repeated shooting. Alot of the barrels are fluted to aid in cooling.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_barrel.htm

DTrain
08-08-2007, 02:26 PM
QuakrTrakr, do you think a bull barrel is really required for MI varmint hunting?

QuakrTrakr
08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
QuakrTrakr, do you think a bull barrel is really required for MI varmint hunting?

No. I bought a Remmy VSSF II in .204 mainly for PD hunting out west and coyote here. I'm taking 500+ rounds with me out there this fall. And 500 may not be enough. For Michigan, if you get 4 or 5 shots in a row I'd be amazed. Maybe at tree rats or chucks possibly.

This is from Chuck Hawks site-
"Heavy barrels take longer to heat-up, thus maintaining good accuracy for more shots. They are also usually more consistent in the way they vibrate as a bullet passes down their length, which is very important for good accuracy. They resist outside bending forces, like changes in forearm pressure or pressure from a sling pulling the forearm against one side of the barrel, better than light barrels. They are less sensitive to how they are bedded in the stock. Their weight (within reason) makes it easier to hold the rifle steady. For all of these reasons, heavy barrels are generally more accurate than lighter barrels."

KLR
08-08-2007, 03:28 PM
In my experience it's much easier for me to hold a heavier gun steady on a small target at any measurable distance, thus having a positive effect on my ability. I've never been in a situation where multiple shots were required (other than a range session), so I've never concerned myself with the other benefits of a heavy barrel. I have a couple heavy's and I'm alot more confident in my ability to hit with those guns. My walking around gun (.204) is a sporter weight, light and easy to carry and will shoot sub 1" @ 200...but I'd hate to think what it could do in a different platform:evil:

rzdrmh
08-08-2007, 03:56 PM
1:12 twists are optimal for anything as low as 40 grains and up to 60 grains.

1:9 will get you up around the 70 grain mark, and 1:7 will get you up to 80 grains.

one is not more accurate than the other, when shooting appropriate bullets.

(unless you make the argument that "heavy for caliber" bullets are more accurate downrange due to the higher ballistic coefficient, thus avoiding wind drift.)

most of your bolt guns are going to have the standard 1:12 twist. i read that H&R single shots were moving towards a 1:10 twist.

the H&R single is one of the few i'd buy in a bull barrel. they are light enough in general to make up for the added weight of the bull barrel.

other than that, i buy sporter barrels.