PDA

View Full Version : Well pump! H E L P ! ! !

ibthetrout
05-27-2007, 08:51 AM
Help!

My wife tells me last night theres no water pressure. I checked everything over and the only ting I think it can be is the pump. By now there's no water left in the holding tank or the hot water heater, and all of the toilets a full. I can't wait until Tuesday. I loath the thought of calling for the emergency 24 hour service. I built the place so how hard could it be to replace the well pump? I understand most of what is involved, but what I don't know is how the pump pipe is connected to the pipe that goes into the house. Hoping one of you guys can pint me in the right direction. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Also, where can I get a pump on a Sunday....does Home Depot have them?

bigcountrysg
05-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Help!

My wife tells me last night theres no water pressure. I checked everything over and the only ting I think it can be is the pump. By now there's no water left in the holding tank or the hot water heater, and all of the toilets a full. I can't wait until Tuesday. I loath the thought of calling for the emergency 24 hour service. I built the place so how hard could it be to replace the well pump? I understand most of what is involved, but what I don't know is how the pump pipe is connected to the pipe that goes into the house. Hoping one of you guys can pint me in the right direction. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Also, where can I get a pump on a Sunday....does Home Depot have them?

Hey Ibthetrout pm me where your at. I get off work at 4pm I would be more then glad to help you replace it. I have done a couple of them with my dad.

Is it sumbersible or not. That makes a big difference. I know Lowes carries a sumbersible one that costs around 350. I don't know if home depot carries them or not.

You can run a garden hose from your nieghbors house to your tank and fill it up. That will last you at least through the day if you conserve the water.

ibthetrout
05-27-2007, 09:16 AM
I am pretty sure it's submersible. Can anyone tell me how to disconnect the pump pipe from the house pipe? I think it's called a pitless adapter. Do I just pull up really hard or is there something that has to be done to disconnect the pitless adapter.

luv2havemoartime
05-27-2007, 09:28 AM
This
Waterlogged pressure tank?

If you have a well and pump, chances are that you also have a water pressure tank somewhere nearby! The older type of tank, called a galvanized tank, will normally waterlog occasionally, and this requires your attention. NOTE: This section does NOT apply if you have a more modern diaphragm or bladder type pressure tank!
Does your pump run in very short bursts, and turn on and off again frequently? Does the pump turn on every time you open a faucet, or do you notice pressure surges while the shower or a faucet is running? Does the pump run all the time, but your water pressure is low? These are all symptoms that could mean a waterlogged pressure tank. Want to try de-waterlogging yourself? Here's how to do it right!
Turn off the power to the pump at the switch or breaker. Also if there is a valve between the pump and the tank, turn it off. If this valve is broken or leaking, now is an excellent time to change it; if the pressure gauge needs replacing, do that also, after step 2!
Open a faucet close to the tank, preferably one that is as low to the ground as possible to facilitate draining.
When the water slows to a trickle, find a way to introduce air into the tank. This may be done by taking out a fitting or plug in the side of the tank, preferably close to the center of the tank, or using a small air compressor to put air into a tire valve-style fitting on the side or bottom of the tank. Either way, the idea is to get most of the water out of the tank, and replace it with air. If your pump motor is in the well, you can empty the tank of water completely without problems. If you have a jet pump, where the motor is visible next to the wellhead, you should leave about 1/2 of the water in the tank, in order to keep some water for priming the pump. In fact, it is a good idea to fill several buckets with water before you turn the pump off, just in case! NOTE: Do not pressurize the tank with air instead of draining it - you can put too much air into the system, and cause some rather interesting problems and no end of frustration for yourself!!
When you have sufficient air in the tank, turn off the air and faucet, and turn the pump back on. Open the valve between the pump and tank just enough to keep the pump running, but do not let the pressure drop below 20 lbs. until the tank is full.
If you can't get it running right, call us (or your nearest pump professional)!! We'll gladly help you over the phone if possible, or give you a hand in person, if you are in the local area.solved a friend's problem a few years back

Madduck98
05-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Check the points on the pressure relay. I was at my place up north last weekend and same deal low pressure at first then no water. Checked it out and the points were corroaded(sp?) Cleaned them with some sandpaper and was good to go. Just make sure you kill the power first!

ibthetrout
05-27-2007, 09:41 AM
pressure relay is good. Checked that last night. Fortunately for me electricity is one of my better talents. I made sure I had power on the output side going to the pump, so I know there's power to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

If I can figure out how to disconnect the pitless adapter I should be good to go. Anyone know how? It is about 4-5 feet down in the well head.

Rudi's Dad
05-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Pressure switch is the likely culprit, should be a little square box on the pressure tank (or next to it) small pipe to sense water pressure and the electric connection. The contacts go bad eventually, this is the first choice of a problem. The big box stores have them.

jpollman
05-27-2007, 09:48 AM
I'll see if I can find a better description or maybe a diagram. But here's a place to start....

http://www.do-it-yourself-pumps.com/pitless-adapter-underground-discharge.htm

Good luck!

John

EDIT:
Here's a link to a diagram of a pitless adapter.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/waterstewardship/water_info/misc/water_facts-mwsb.pdf

jpollman
05-27-2007, 09:54 AM
I've never done it before. But it would appear that you just have to pull up on the pipe and it will disconnect from the pipe going to the house. You remove the pump and replace it. Then just drop the pump back into the casing and line up the adapter and it slides back together making a water tight connection.

If I were closer I'd be willing to give you a hand. I'm always up for the chance to learn something new. ;)

John

ibthetrout
05-27-2007, 10:09 AM
My neighbor knows a well guy who says the pitless adapter has to be unscrewed. The screw on it has a flat blade. He told me to get some black pipe and flatten it out and use that to unscrew it. Once I can get that loose I have the neighbor and his 2 brothers, all twice my size, to help pull it up. Off to the hardware store......stay tuned for updates.

Thanks to all that replied with suggestions!

ibthetrout
05-27-2007, 10:10 AM
I'll see if I can find a better description or maybe a diagram. But here's a place to start....

http://www.do-it-yourself-pumps.com/pitless-adapter-underground-discharge.htm

Good luck!

John

EDIT:
Here's a link to a diagram of a pitless adapter.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/waterstewardship/water_info/misc/water_facts-mwsb.pdf

Great links! Thanks!

bigcountrysg
05-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Have fun, don't forget to kill the power to your pump prior to working on it. Water and electricity don't mix well.

bigrackmack
05-27-2007, 10:42 AM
I have a bit of a well situation also....my pump runs all the time..you can watch the pressure guage go down and the pumps kicks on like every 20 seconds.....I have been shutting it off when I leave for the day, so its not so hard on my pump...I talked to the guy up at Lowes and he said it was probally my air bladder in my tank, he said to check it with a tire gauge, and I did he said it should be holding atleast 38 pounds of pressure, and it only had 20...pumped it up and it will not hold more then like 25 pounds....Do you guys think this is my problem? The reason I ask is that last fall when I went to Scotland stag hunting for 2 weeks...I shut it off and when I got back it wasn't doing it, it just started doing it again.....Thanks for any help......Mack

ibthetrout
05-27-2007, 11:01 AM
I got it loose. 1/2" black pipe (6 feet) slightly flattened, but not too much, just so it fits down the inner pvc pipe. Loosened the screw on the pitless adapter. It's now loose and I just have to disconnect the wires (yes the power is off) and pull the pump. This is going to be an educational day!

roger23
05-27-2007, 12:06 PM
check the wire when you get the pump out some times the wire wears through from torque if the torque arrestor is wore out

GullLkRltr
05-27-2007, 01:19 PM
I changed my submersible pump a few years back and had a plumber friend fill me in on the pitless adapter - used a flattenned end piece of black pipe for a "wrench" just like you did. Turning it the opposite way til snug when you get the new pump down and back in place will complete the seal.

Couple other tips: the drop pipe down to the pump in my system was installed originally in 20' lengths of galvinized pipe which would have been very akward to reinstall (trying to hold a 20 section of pipe straight up while threading:yikes: ) so I used 6 10' sections instead which was much easier.

Mine had a bronze in-line check valve right above the pump at the bottom of the drop pipe that I replaced at the same time so I wouldn't have to pull it again if that failed. While I had the thing out I also replaced all the wire from the top of well casing down to the pump connections as the original wire had a few questionable scuffs in the insulation.

other than that the job went well :lol: and it's worked great ever since.

ibthetrout
05-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Got done with it about 3:00 today. 3 trips to the hardware store and 300 bucks later. Pump was definitely bad. Wires were all fine and had no chaffing. Thanks to my neighbor Fred whose brother Ted happened by who knew a well guy that knew exactly how my pitless adapter came loose. With the help of Fred, Ted, and their brother Ed who all helped pull up the pump. Their other brothers Ned and Jed got left behind at the hotel room with the women. No ****!

Thanks again to everyone who replied. I knew i could count on you guys to help me.

Madduck98
05-27-2007, 10:30 PM
Glad to hear ya got her fixed. Being without running water sucks! Also this was a very infomative thread. I also have a sub. pump and have been dreading the day it went.