PDA

View Full Version : silencers?

predatordave
01-31-2007, 06:21 PM
hi, i was wondering if we can own silencers here in michigan yet. i kinda remember hearing about something that we could but i dont know if i am correct.. i just got done reading the new combat hanguns and they have an article about a ruger mark II all pimped out with an advance armament silencer on it....man it makes me drool...i know it is only a .22 but it is sweet.

later, dave

M1Garand
01-31-2007, 07:48 PM
No they are illegal. I doubt they will ever be legal.

predatordave
01-31-2007, 07:52 PM
man that is just too bad...so what do i have to do to get one, get a FFL or something or what. all they are is a class III i guess. i found a map and there are a lot of other states that allow them. i will find it again and post a link for it. man it would be nice being able to target shoot and not have to worry about ruining the neighbors nap time.

later, dave

bigrackmack
01-31-2007, 08:06 PM
When I was in Scotland last fall I hunted with a 308 with a silencer on it, When I shot the Roe deer I shot with it, the gun wasn't even as loud as a 22....it was a first for me, it was pretty cool I felt like a sniper or something...:lol:.......Mack

snakebit67
01-31-2007, 08:13 PM
not sure but i think it might be against federal law

tstu2
01-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Check out the Rimefire Central Forums. There is a lot of pictures of .22's with suppressors on them.

Could you imagine squirrel hunting, and not spooking all the squirrels with the first shot?

sneakboxer
01-31-2007, 08:58 PM
I believe that a silencer on any wepon will make it a title II wepon requiring the same paperwork as a full auto.
I'd contact the ATF. I know it is possible BUT there is a ton of paper, checks, cards, and laws. It is also illegal to hunt with in MI. But it would be cool.

WoodchuckSniper
01-31-2007, 09:12 PM
Silencers are legal under Federal law. It is State law that keeps them out of our hands for now.

Silencers are basically regulated in the same section of Michigan law as machine guns. That law in a nutshell states that these items cannot be possesed by Michigan residents without a license.

A little over a year ago Michigan State Attorney General Mike Cox wrote a new legal opinion which opened Michigan up to ownership of machine guns. This legal opinion pretty much said that the Federal paperwork which approved the transfer of a machine gun to a person was a license. This now allows a Michigan resident to file the appropriate paperwork and possess a machine gun upon approval by the ATF.

Unfortunately, silencers (or suppressors) were never mentioned in this opinion. Because of this, the ATF is not approving transfers of suppressors to Michigan residents.

Mike Cox's office has been asked for clarification on the silencer issue because of the fact that they are covered in the same section of law as machine guns. Most of us believe that if the federal paperwork is a license for a machine gun, it should be for a suppressor as well.

Mike Cox has his people researching this issue and there is currently a couple differing points of view as I understand it. Those of us in the community who have been following this issue are hoping for a favorable opinion by spring.

Hunting with a supressor would still be against the law unless those laws could be changed which I seriously doubt we will ever see.

Hope this helps.

predatordave
01-31-2007, 09:46 PM
woodchucksniper, thanks now it is clear to me. i remembered seeing stuff about being a machine gun state at the gun shows. yeah that would be great to get the suppressors too.

later, dave

mich buckmaster
01-31-2007, 09:50 PM
If you roll both windows down and put the barrel in the car and shoot out the other window people cant hear the muzzle blast making a silencer. :yikes: :D :p

predatordave
01-31-2007, 10:07 PM
here is a link to check out with a map of ownership states.

http://www.advanced-armament.com/owners.asp

check out the whole site pretty cool stuff.

later, dave

FYRE926
01-31-2007, 10:21 PM
If you roll both windows down and put the barrel in the car and shoot out the other window people cant hear the muzzle blast making a silencer. :yikes: :D :p

I think you've been reading too much Cuffs&Collars from the Michigan Outdoor News and getting some tips from all those geniuses that keep the handful of CO's we have so busy....LOL....

Sailor
01-31-2007, 10:22 PM

Thats true buckmaster-but the shooter better have ear plugs ! (and be looking over his shoulder !

mich buckmaster
01-31-2007, 10:29 PM
Thats true buckmaster-but the shooter better have ear plugs ! (and be looking over his shoulder !
Yeah I wondered if it might have enough blast to break out the glass or something. I have never done it and never plan to, but I was told it does work!!

Topshelf
02-01-2007, 06:29 AM
The way I have always understood it that for silencers to work properly, where all you really hear is the slide working, you need to be shooting subsonic rounds. So it would work on a 22 rimfire, but not a whole lot of other calibers. Now I'm sure you can quiet other calibers down some, but not completly like in the movies where the sniper whacks the bad guy and no one hears it.

Any input from you military/gun guru's?

WoodchuckSniper
02-01-2007, 02:07 PM
I have been around more than a few silencers (supressors) and some of them are quite good at what they do. However, it isn't really like what you see on TV.

The report is not silent in most cases. You might get a .22 quiet enough where about all you hear is the action but on most others you will still have a small report. The more powder you burn, the harder they are to quiet down. I have yet to see a supressor for a .223 that I would want to shoot all afternoon without hearing protection. They might exist but I haven't seen one yet. Supressors would go a long way towards stemming noise complaints from folks who live near target shooting areas.

If we get the green light on supressors I am seriously thinking about getting one for one of my sub guns. Other than that, I think one would be fun on a Ruger Mark II.

Wetlandhunter
02-01-2007, 03:04 PM
hi, i was wondering if we can own silencers here in michigan yet. i kinda remember hearing about something that we could but i dont know if i am correct.. i just got done reading the new combat hanguns and they have an article about a ruger mark II all pimped out with an advance armament silencer on it....man it makes me drool...i know it is only a .22 but it is sweet.

later, dave

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.232 Purchasers of firearms; registration.

Sec. 232.
Registration of purchasers of pistols, etc.—Any person engaged in any way or to any extent in the business of selling at retail, guns, pistols, other fire-arms or silencers for fire-arms who shall fail or neglect to keep a register in which shall be entered the name, age, occupation and residence (if residing in the city with the street number of such residence) of each and every purchaser of such guns, pistols, other fire-arms or silencers for fire-arms together with the number or other mark of identification, if any, on such gun, pistol, other fire-arms or silencer for fire-arms, which said register shall be open to the inspection of all peace officers at all times, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

History: 1931, Act 328, Eff. Sept. 18, 1931 ;-- CL 1948, 750.232

2007 Legislative Council, State of Michigan

Here you search for Bill's on just about everything.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(uf0cjg455sgyw255np3i0555))/mileg.aspx?page=CategorySearch

alex-v
02-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Supressors would go a long way towards stemming noise complaints from folks who live near target shooting areas.
This is the number one reason I follow the entire issue. Fewer complaints near public ranges, ranges run by local shooting or hunting clubs, and personal ranges built by the people that live in rural areas.

Wetlandhunter
02-01-2007, 03:17 PM

later, dave

This site can answer most of your questions on this subject..
http://www.advanced-armament.com/owners.asp

Ed Michrina
02-01-2007, 03:35 PM
They sell subsonic 9 mm rounds . I think anything that breaks the sound barrier will make a crack so also a 22 short would work.
In the UK they are legal and used quite often on air rifles to keep the neighbors happy.

alex-v
02-01-2007, 04:06 PM
TIn the UK they are legal and used quite often on air rifles to keep the neighbors happy.
They are legal in some of the western states and used extensively for the same reason. Based on reading of some of the msgs in the reloading eMail lists they use supressors both on the outdoor ranges and the indoor ranges.

Sailor
02-02-2007, 03:15 AM
In the intrest of science try tying a condom (old fashioned "Lamb Skins" work best-don't snap as loud as latex) on the barrell of a .22 and shoot shorts.
They should have warnings stating: "For the prevention of noises only".

sea nympho
02-02-2007, 08:31 AM
The way I have always understood it that for silencers to work properly, where all you really hear is the slide working, you need to be shooting subsonic rounds. So it would work on a 22 rimfire, but not a whole lot of other calibers. Now I'm sure you can quiet other calibers down some, but not completly like in the movies where the sniper whacks the bad guy and no one hears it.

Any input from you military/gun guru's?

That's correct. Supersonic booms or "cracks" are not supressed by silencers, only the sound of the expanding gasses. All action (slide/hammer) & bullet(sonic boom) sounds are unchanged, too.

Ed Michrina
02-02-2007, 11:29 AM
What is the speed of sound. I want to say 1200 fps.? anything under is subsonic.

HTC
02-02-2007, 12:01 PM
1100 FPS is the speed of sound.

Jet Suppressors is a small two man company. They make exceptional suppressors for many types of rifles. Do a quick google search and enjoy their videos.

One of the two guys was just in Michigan two weeks ago picking up a new CNC Mill for their operation over in Dearborn Heights. I have had the pleasure to shoot some of their stuff.....Whether subsonic or standard loads loads it is amazing and a lot of fun.

One of the main reasons for a suppressor is not only noise reduction but the increase in accuracy gained by a bullet that breaks into clean air.

chrisu
02-05-2007, 10:00 PM
I submitted the automobile-as-silencer, and the condom-as-silencer methods to Mythbusters...This would be a riot to see those guys play with these ideas!:lol:

Not sure I could bring myself to tie a condom on my, ahem, barrell...I just may try this next time I take it out plinking!

hobtag
02-06-2007, 03:35 AM
To silenceher just hand over a credit card!, always worked for me

tstu2
02-07-2007, 06:44 PM
To silenceher just hand over a credit card!, always worked for me

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had heard of shooting through an (clean) oil filter will give you the same results. barrel goes into threaded end, drill out an opening in the other end. It would be tough to line up your sights though?!?!?!

USMCSniper
02-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Thats why large calibers have suppresors not silencers, the spec op folks have access to hushpuppies (silenced 22's) still, but my m40 would wake up the dead haha, no pun intended, hence the need for frequent relocation after shots.