PDA

View Full Version : how far do you lead them

zx10r2004
11-01-2006, 07:23 PM
i'm having trouble shooting ducks.i have been missing alot:lol: i'm use to goose hunting and was wondering how far should you lead a duck. i haven't been duck hunting in about 5 years so im a little rusty. any info will be helpful. or you can flame away on me. i deserve it.:D i think im shooting 1:10. ducks/shots.:yikes: thanks.

duckindude
11-01-2006, 07:37 PM
depends on angle and speed, if cupped n commited coming right at ya put it on their beak and fire away, but that needs to be changed for instance if your shooting at a teal flying with the wind... it just all depends on what you think it is, i usually go with instinct

Dead Bird
11-01-2006, 08:01 PM
wind.. decoying... sitting in a ground blind... feet stuck in the mud... I hunt with alot of guys that think they do better than 1 out of 10... some days that is a good ratio... grind though it... some days I can't miss other days I can't buy a bird... the more you shoot the better you will get... small ducks seem faster than they are and big birds move faster upwind than they look... it is time... more time.. than some laughing.. and it will come together...

Madduck98
11-01-2006, 08:39 PM
wind.. decoying... sitting in a ground blind... feet stuck in the mud... I hunt with alot of guys that think they do better than 1 out of 10... some days that is a good ratio... grind though it... some days I can't miss other days I can't buy a bird... the more you shoot the better you will get... small ducks seem faster than they are and big birds move faster upwind than they look... it is time... more time.. than some laughing.. and it will come together...
:yeahthat:Well that about covers it. What choke do you shoot?

sprigdog
11-01-2006, 08:48 PM
4 B's and keep swinging.

butt
body
beak
boom

William H Bonney
11-01-2006, 09:08 PM
How far do I lead 'em?? On most days,,,,, not far enough.:rolleyes:

spice64
11-01-2006, 09:13 PM
Quit shhoting the cheap steel your probly hitting most of them.

Kevlar
11-01-2006, 09:14 PM
My advice is to calm down and load 1 shell only. Then you won't be in a rush and you will actually take your time to shoulder, aim and squeeze.

Fast is slow ~~~~~~~ Smooth is fast and accurate...... ;)

Kev

Jumpshootin'
11-01-2006, 09:35 PM
If I try to figure out a lead on ducks I'll miss them. So I start behind them and swing through, firing when I'm out in front.

GVSUKUSH
11-01-2006, 09:53 PM
I don't pay attention to the body of the duck, pass shooting I aim a duck length ahead of the birds head and swing through while pulling the trigger. The most important thing is to keep your head on the stock and KEEP THE GUN MOVING, most of the shots you miss are going to be when you lift your head off the stock or stop your swing.

A decoying bird? Shoot 'em in the face!

And if you're hunting Buffies....may god help you!

flighthunter
11-01-2006, 10:04 PM
I don't pay attention to the body of the duck, pass shooting I aim a duck length ahead of the birds head and swing through while pulling the trigger. The most important thing is to keep your head on the stock and KEEP THE GUN MOVING, most of the shots you miss are going to be when you lift your head off the stock or stop your swing.

Buffies:yeahthat:

MSTRB8R
11-01-2006, 10:32 PM
I would reccomend taking a couple of hours and shoot some clays. Get your lead down on one specific shot and then try different angles. Also, practice mounting your gun. A bad mount can be the difference between a dyer and a flyer.

suckerbass
11-01-2006, 10:59 PM

thats his problem.... I have watched him shoot and he stops swinging and then shoots. allways behind the bird. He has missed some easy shots this year (so have I) and now he's gun shy! I can say too much cus in years past zx10r2004 has out shot me more than I care to admit.

Brydog
11-02-2006, 07:51 AM
Swing through your shot. DO NOT stop the motion of your gun.

Butt, Belly, Beak, Bang..................send the Dawg.:D

If you go Butt, Belly, Beak, Dang,,,,, you're doin it wrong !!!:evilsmile

BFG
11-02-2006, 08:21 AM
Good responses so far....smooth and accurate...I like that...

Ever see the movie "The Patriot?"

Gibson tells his kids to pick a small target on the target. Shoot small...

I've been doing this out of the layout boat and it has helped immensely...trying to pick out an eye or the stripe on the beak or whatever...

Focus Daniel-San....

BFG

geojasstef
11-02-2006, 08:23 AM
swing........ butt....... swing ........belly ........swing ......... beak....... swing....... close your eyes....quick Hail Mary...swing... pull the triger....open eyes....

you should now see waterfowl of choice fall from sky.....or not :D

KLR
11-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Alot of good advice above....my .02? Take your time,in a hurry....Get up guick,shoulder the gun quick, then slow down. Focus on a specific spot on the brid and believe your going to kill it.......if your thinking "I could miss this shot".....guess what.

zx10r2004
11-02-2006, 09:04 AM
thanks guys. i'm shooting the benelli nova for the first time and the safety on it sucks. the safety is all iworried about when the ducks come in instead of bearing down on my first shot and swinging threw. its in front of the trigger not in the back like the remington's or on top like the mossberg's. people told me that i have to get use to it so thats why i bring it out with me all the time. i love the gun but hate the safety.i was shooting mod choke. i think #4 shot will help me and suckerbass take down more birds.we are both shooting #2's and both missing alot.:dizzy: thanks again.

zx10r2004
11-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Alot of good advice above....my .02? Take your time,in a hurry....Get up guick,shoulder the gun quick, then slow down. Focus on a specific spot on the brid and believe your going to kill it.......if your thinking "I could miss this shot".....guess what.that's exactly what i think if i miss my first shot.im rushing the first shot all the time.

Far Beyond Driven
11-02-2006, 10:32 AM
I've been coaching my nephew.

1. Pick one bird and one bird only. Tunnel vision on this bird (assuming safe shooting areas are followed) and don't look at what's happening in the rest of the flock.

I know I see birds falling out of the corner of my eye from others and I just lose all focus. Last huge flock we had come in, I got my goose with the second shot only to look around and see three others on the ground.

2. Keep your head down.
3. Keep the gun moving.

The lead and looking down the barrel will all come with time.

SabikiRig
11-02-2006, 10:47 AM
ZX10,

That is part of your problem. You are not familar enough with that Benelli.

Take it to the trap or skeet range and shoot a case or two. I think you will eventually find that the front safety is much better.

It is far easier and quicker to press the safety and slide your finger back the to the trigger than it is to hit the safety and move your finger forward to the trigger.

Chawazz
11-02-2006, 06:30 PM
good thread guys

I definitely appreciate the tips and encouragement you're handing out.

My last outing served up a big plate of humble pie on the Goldeneyes. . . .

zx10r2004
11-02-2006, 06:48 PM
THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT ADVICE!!!!

CaptainNorthwood
11-02-2006, 06:55 PM
most people shoot behind the bird, if your wondering about the lead give it a little more and touch er' off!

Brydog
11-03-2006, 09:05 PM
swing........ butt....... swing ........belly ........swing ......... beak....... swing....... close your eyes....quick Hail Mary...swing... pull the triger....open eyes....

you should now see waterfowl of choice fall from sky.....or not :D

This sounds like a good way to shoot your Dawg or your hunting partner.:evilsmile

zx10r2004
11-03-2006, 09:44 PM
This sounds like a good way to shoot your Dawg or your hunting partner.:evilsmile:confused: is that a good thing or bad thing.:lol:

geojasstef
11-04-2006, 12:02 AM
This sounds like a good way to shoot your Dawg or your hunting partner.:evilsmile

its all meat ..... dog and duck hunter is a delicacy in some countries :evil:

ckendall
11-04-2006, 03:11 AM
Man, most of the time, I'm just like "Doh! Ducks! Shoot 'em!" - particularly on windy days . . . and it doesn't seem to matter how far off I see them coming.

When I'm hitting, its usually because I've forced myself to lead as far as I can stand it (like before it becomes absurd to me) - except on really committed decoyers. And I'm basically at about 40-50% on average . . . and not improving much over time.

I really keyed in on the miss rate this season because I have a 2 year old lab in her second season, and I was keen on getting her to hold steady to shot. Well, after about two hunts, she taught herself . . . "hmmm, just because the gun goes off doesn't mean there is something to fetch . . . "

Ken Martin
11-04-2006, 03:43 AM
Shoot them on the water.

Ken

cupped-n-locked
11-04-2006, 04:11 AM
Proper gun mount is paramont, practice mounting your gun in the house (and turning off the safety) at least 20 -30 times a day until it becomes second nature. Then all you have to do is keep your head down swing in front of the bird and squeeze the trigger. Don't worry about how far in front or about aiming at part of the bird - too much thought involved -- go on instinct : proper gun mount, head on gun, SWING, get in front of bird, KEEP SWINGING and squeeze the trigger.

Aiming and pointing a shotgun is the death of a wingshooter.

Practice, practice, and more practice.