PDA

View Full Version : 2 3/4 vs 3 inch slugs????????

MuskyDan
10-12-2006, 07:52 AM
thoughts???

jsmith2232
10-12-2006, 07:59 AM
I shoot the remington corelokt ultra 385 grainers out of my 1100, I can only shoot 2-3/4" but if i had the option I think i'd stick with it.

jmoser
10-12-2006, 08:06 AM
IMHO:

Friends and I, all serious shooters, have tried many brands and tend to agree:

No need for 3" or high velocity 2 3/4" slugs for 'normal' 100 yards shots.
Heavier/faster slugs not needed and will beat the crap out of you and your scope.

My accurized 870 cloverleafs at 100 Meters [109 yards] with Remington Copper Solid 2 3/4", these are 1 Oz at 1450 fps. Sight in 2.5" to 3" high at 50 and be close to dead on at 100, still good for center mass shots at 125.

Unless you REALLY need a 150 yard slug gun then you just do not need 1700 fps or more.

Having said that try different brands and use what shoots best in your gun.

Hunt4Ever
10-12-2006, 07:13 PM
The 2 3/4 kick pretty good. The 3's will bite. I won't shoot them anymore. My standard slug gun shot is 50-60 yards so the 2 3/4 work fine.

webfarmer
10-12-2006, 08:52 PM
I use Federal 2 3/4" 1 ounce Barnes Expander's. I tried the 3" slugs of various brands and bullet types and the 2 3/4" were always more accurate for some reason out of my Browning A-Bolt shotgun. I wouldn't worry about the recoil - you won't even notice it when you pull the trigger on a nice deer. However, you WILL notice the price of the slug 5 packs. Bought some spares today from Gander Mountain and the Federals mentioned above were $14.99 - equates to $3 a shell!!!!! Matter of fact - everything seemed real expensive today but worth every penney. Good Luck!

Ed Michrina
10-12-2006, 09:12 PM
2 3/4 all the way. I tried 3" both did just as well. I did notice after sighting the gun in with 3" I was jerking the trigger/ flinching or just making bad shots.
Stick with the 2 3/4 they never let me down.

Swamp Monster
10-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Only advantage a 3" slug will give you is on paper really. With todays 2 3/4" slugs you can still get sabot loads that are rated at 1900 fps (2000 with the Hornady's and a lighter slug) ((Oh, don't expect to see those rated velocities in every gun though....)) so the 3"ers are really unneccesay. Same goes for the newer 20 gauges as well. The one and only reason I'd ever use 3" slugs was if it were the best shooting slug load in my gun, but that would be a rare case. Course, some people like to brag about the fact they use 3" slugs, why I don't know, the deer sure won't care!

bucks-n-trout
10-18-2006, 08:02 PM
I have shot many brands of slugs and have yet to find a 3" that shoots better than the 2 3/4". Just extra recoil for no real advantage. I have heard that the new Lightfields ( orange box, 3") shoot very well. Have not tried them as yet.

ih772
10-18-2006, 09:12 PM
3" slugs just pound the heck out of you and that's about it.

Ed Michrina
10-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Man I'm glad to hear all this. I thought I was shotgun sensitive ( a sissy) I hunted for years with my 2 3/4 in my swamp. I love it. one year with 3" and I went back to my 35 cal rifle . All because of kick. I'll stick with my little swamp tack driver but miss my Shotgun.

Outdoorsman54
10-18-2006, 09:56 PM
I have tried several brands and styles.

Out of my Remington 11-87 with rifled choke tube, I get very good accuracy with Brenneke Golds for rifled barrels, a 3" load. Consistently putting 5 shots in a 2" circle at 100 yds. I have shot lots of 2 3/4 " loads but none compared out of my gun to the Brenneke golds.

Just try a bunch of brands and don't let 3" or 2 3/4" be your only factor.
On the other hand, my shoulder would appreciate the 2 3/4" loads a lot more.:lol: But that is really only true off the bench. In the field I have yet to notice the heavier recoil of the 3" loads.

Sargeyork
10-25-2006, 01:58 PM
These are great slugs but in very short supply, Does anyone know where I can buy any more of these, everyone is out, doesn't carry them, or never heard of them, You can buy online from Lightfield but the shipping charges are going to kill you as they are almost as much as the slugs themselves.

Sargeyork

FREEPOP
10-25-2006, 02:31 PM
I still have a smooth bore slug gun as I get all my deer with a bow :)

I tried the 3 inch loads and they tumbled out of my gun so I gave them away.

mparks
10-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Am I the only one who ever thought that 3" shells would be more accurate in a 3" chamber? I mean, I don't set my bullets back 1/4" when I reload for rifle shells so why wouldn't the longer shell with the slug closer to the lands be more accurate? Anyway, after several boxes of 3" and 2 3/4" I proved to myself that there was no noticable accuracy gain with the 3" shells I tried in my guns. I'm sure that the trasition over all the plastic in the crimp makes the slightly longer trip to the lands a mute point anyway and makes it an invalid comparision to a conventional rifle scenerio.

Another thing, a lot of the 3" shells out there just have an extra 1/4" of fiber wad and nothing else is different. Dave Henderson chrono'd several 3" shells from different makers in his book "Shotgunning for Deer" and found that they didn't live up to the velocity claims on the box. There's a whole section about the subject in the book. Looks like Lightfield has this in mind with their marketing of the new 3" shells.

Sargeyork
10-29-2006, 12:38 AM
Marketing has nothing to do with the new Hybred Elite 3". What it has to do with is this load is replacing their older Commander IDS 3" (red box)which has been discontinued due to some lots of these that got out to hunters(like me) last year and had lot to lot consistency problems having to do mostly with the 1 1/16oz slug which has been replaced with a 1 1/4 oz slug in the new Elite.

Sargeyork

Ninja
10-29-2006, 03:32 AM
These are great slugs but in very short supply, Does anyone know where I can buy any more of these, everyone is out, doesn't carry them, or never heard of them, You can buy online from Lightfield but the shipping charges are going to kill you as they are almost as much as the slugs themselves.

Sargeyork

I still have some and have more on the way.

Rabbit guy
10-31-2006, 10:45 AM
My son (14) has a Remington 870 20ga. full rifled barrel, and we're trying different slugs, We tried the Remington copper solids...seemed to shoot ok. I was wondering about the Buckhammer slugs, as anyone had an expierence with them?

hobtag
10-31-2006, 10:53 AM
I like the buck hammers, also in 20 ga its launching a 1 oz slug at 1500 FPS

like a big 1oz wadcutter, I know my 20 likes them

kbkrause
10-31-2006, 10:53 AM
I like the buck hammers, also in 20 ga its launching a 1 oz slug at 1500 FPS

like a big 1oz wadcutter, I know my 20 likes them

My 12 likes em too, 2 3/4

Topshelf
11-01-2006, 06:42 AM
I have tried several brands and styles.

Out of my Remington 11-87 with rifled choke tube, I get very good accuracy with Brenneke Golds for rifled barrels, a 3" load. Consistently putting 5 shots in a 2" circle at 100 yds. I have shot lots of 2 3/4 " loads but none compared out of my gun to the Brenneke golds.

Just try a bunch of brands and don't let 3" or 2 3/4" be your only factor.
On the other hand, my shoulder would appreciate the 2 3/4" loads a lot more.:lol: But that is really only true off the bench. In the field I have yet to notice the heavier recoil of the 3" loads.

We sighted in a Mossberg 835 pump using the same Brenneke Gold 3" slugs last Sunday. After about 3 shots I was flinching so bad I didnt want to shoot anymore. It didnt bother my 17 year old son????:dizzy: I vote 2 3/4.
Accuracy with the 3" shells was probably 2-3" @ 100 yards, depending if you could pull the trigger repeatedly and not flinch.

Sargeyork
11-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Just a field report here fellas, Thanks to Ninja I was able to Obtain these slugs and sighted in with them last week. These slugs are just as awesome as the exp's, very consistent and don't kick that much more and now I can shoot farther with accuracy and confidence and 1 1/4 oz knockdown power at 1700 fps.

Sargeyork

RiverKat
11-05-2006, 09:51 PM
I have a Remington 870 with rifled barrel that loves Winchester 2 3/4" regular 1 0z slugs. I get 3" groups @ 100 yards and much smaller from 50 yards. Over the years I've shot alot of different slugs out of her. I had a thing for the Brenneke Gold 3" for a couple years. I shot my biggest buck to date with one. They held good groups and I did'nt feel the recoil was that bad. I quit using them for 2 reasons; for one they did'nt cycle well in and out of my gun. I actually missed out on some second shots because I could'nt get another shell in the chamber, secondly the lead Brenneke uses is in my opinion too hard. Every deer I shot with one had identical sized entry and exit wounds. Slugs I retrieved from shot deer were in perferct condition yet, no mushrooming at all. The Winchesters I now shoot are about $3.00 a box, this is also a reason I shoot them. I bought a box of those 2 3/4 Federal Barnes Expander slugs a few years ago. The gun was sighted in for the Winchesters and I never had time check the Barnes slugs. One morning I accidentally grabbed the box of Barnes slugs and went hunting. I was nervous as heck that I was going to miss a big buck because of my mistake. I wound up dropping an 8 pt that morning at 75 yards with one shot through the neck! After firing a few at a target the Expanders were about 6" high and a foot right at 100 yards. I've since killed a few more deer with the expander slugs but never bought another box. Too much $$$ for me. Just today I shot 2 boxes of Federals new Tru-Ball slug. Since my gun likes Foster style slugs I figured they might work good. Not the case. At 50 yards I could'nt get them to group at all.

Dan