PDA

View Full Version : Is cougar meat any good?????

lookin for the gills
08-02-2006, 12:14 AM
:lol: :lol: I am joking of course. Actually I am not. Not that I would kill one if I saw one:rolleyes: , but I was just wondering if you think they would taste good? They eat all meat. I would think they do taste good.

Here is a little tidbit from the local newspaper last week on a guy who has a picture of a cougar.
http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-17/1154102737163100.xml?jacitpat?NEJ&coll=3

Liv4Huntin'
08-02-2006, 01:16 AM
when we lived 'out West' several folks we knew had. I'd always thought 'carnivore' meat wouldn't taste good, but I guess I was wrong.

Tonight on Jim Zumbo, he said he had some 'cougar sausage' that was really good.

Think I'll pass.
On second thought, if offered, I guess I would try it once.........just to see.
~ m ~

The Whale
08-02-2006, 02:12 AM
Med-rare off the grill,.........let's give it a shot ! :corkysm55

Munsterlndr
08-02-2006, 07:01 AM
I've read that the mountain men considered mtn. Lion the best tasting meat of all of the animals they shot. I'd try some if the opportunity presented itself. Seems to me there is a guy that frequents these boards that lives in Oregon and has harvested a bunch of cougers out west, maybe he will chime in with an opinion.

Linda G.
08-02-2006, 07:14 AM
Seriously. Have a buddy that took a nice lion out west a couple of years ago, he brought some of it cooked into a swedish meatball dish to a wild game dinner.

Hardly anyone wanted to try it, but I just had to. It was sweet, and fairly rich, but it was good, and before I was done with my portion, a lot of other people had tried it and agreed with me.

Never thought I would eat a cat, tho...LOL

Rupestris
08-02-2006, 08:04 AM
Is cougar meat any good?????

L :lol: L!
Thanks! I'd have replied sooner but I needed to clean the coffee off my monitor first :lol:

Ron L
08-02-2006, 08:23 AM
I think Michigan Cougar would taste like Sasquatch backstraps. ;)

MEL
08-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Michigan cougars are excellent tasting. Kind of taste like chicken.!!!

Violator22
08-02-2006, 09:00 AM
All Michigan Cougar meat tastes like High Grade Prime Rib. :lol:

Trout King
08-02-2006, 09:09 AM
here we go....

but seriously after i get the elusive ionia county couger i'll let you guys know

dtg
08-02-2006, 09:12 AM
I prefer Bald Eagle to cougar meat, but that's just me!!!:lol: It may be because they're more abundant here in Michigan.

But seriously, someone posted something similar to this earlier this year and he took a cougar out in Wyoming or somewhere out West and he said he really liked the taste.

Happy Jack
08-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Some guys eat cat and some guys don't :D

J - Rod
08-02-2006, 11:32 AM
I would think people eat them, why else would you hunt them if you don't eat them?? :confused:

RichP
08-02-2006, 11:34 AM
It's good and all, but the thing is, you're hungry again 30 minutes later...

Jigawhat
08-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Here is a little tidbit from the local newspaper last week on a guy who has a picture of a cougar.
http://www.mlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news-17/1154102737163100.xml?jacitpat?NEJ&coll=3

great article :rolleyes:
Why even write the darn article without the pictures...:bonk:

sullyxlh
08-02-2006, 11:58 AM
cougars or cats there all the same,it's all in how you prepare them,domestic or not a cat is a cat,eat em up:D

MEL
08-02-2006, 12:31 PM
I would think people eat them, why else would you hunt them if you don't eat them?? :confused:

If they where not so good eating i wouldnt go thru all the hassle of Cougar Camp!!
Week off of work, New cougar rifle, cost of the trip to the U.P. or Northern Mich. Thats a lot of hassle if it wasnt so good!!

chinamigarden
08-02-2006, 01:05 PM
A guy I work with went on a lion hunt a few years ago. WE watched his video and ate cougar for lunch one day. It sort of tasted like dark meat from a turkey, but not as moist as the turkey would have been.

lookin for the gills
08-02-2006, 02:06 PM
I thought the same thing about there not being a picture in the article. I am gonna email the writer and ask why not post a pic?

HTC
08-02-2006, 02:17 PM
Could just go to the animal shelter....not exactly the same but close....:lol:

tommytubular
08-02-2006, 02:23 PM
I ate a cougar/bald eagle cross breed

Beave
08-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Neither holds a candle to a well prepared panda dish.

northwesthunter
08-02-2006, 03:39 PM
Tastes like chicken!:D

Kelly Johnson
08-02-2006, 05:54 PM
I've cooked and eaten Mountain Lion from out west on 3 or 4 occassions.

Couple things..

As with any preadtor that eats carrion, it's best to cook it thoughrogly to be safe. Trichinosis (formerly an issue in pigs when they fed them "slop") breeds in rotten protein and if eaten the "eater" becomes the host. It's a parasite and it sucks.

It's lean. REAL lean. More so than venison even. The fat is very strong especially in males but cleaned up it tastes delicious. You'd better add fat or cook it very slowly like in a crockpot or braise or it's like a Sand Sandwich...very dry.

I like it. It is rich and similar to Wild Boar but drier. The best way I've had it was an full hindquarter boned out, seasoned and tied into a roast. Seared and than braised in onion, garlic, black pepper, red wine and beef stock for about 4 hours. Cooled and sliced and than thickened the pan juices to make a gravy.

Puurrrrrrr;)

ID-Birddog
08-06-2006, 12:27 AM
Yes

Pinefarm
08-06-2006, 12:49 AM
Will cougars come into a carrot pile?

Northbound
08-06-2006, 08:07 AM
I‘ve eaten mountain lion twice, both times it was excellent!

Tell you what…. it changed the way I look at my house cat.;)

multibeard
08-06-2006, 12:28 PM
There was an ER doctor that I was friends with a few years back. He would work his rear end off all summer long in different Er's all over Michigan.

He spent the better part of the winter trapping in Alaska to get away from the stress he endured in the Er all summer. He supplemented his moose or caribou diet eating the lynx and beaver that he caught on his lines.

He said that it was real good eating.

I would imagine there can't be much difference in the taste of cougar. As far as domestic cats go the best fox bait used to be tainted tom cat.

As far as how much carrion a bob cat eats, I think that they are rather particular in what they eat. Other wise I think that there would be a lot more caught in stinky fox/coyote bait sets, as there are quite a few cats around.

kitchue
08-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Do cougars taste any good??? Well, depends on its age and how hard of a life it had. But 'til that point it still tastes like pus....oh, wait, the cat. Riggght!!!

Frantz
08-07-2006, 12:34 PM
I think it would be one of those things that people would have to say "Here try this, I will tell you what it is later". I know that just knowing what it was I would not like it going in, but after trying it first, might be a differant story. I have hated spinach most my life because it was gross, then I tried it and cannot get enough of it.

midwestfisherman
08-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Will cougars come into a carrot pile?

No, but throw some salmon carcasses out and you'll have a sure bet in luring one in. :D

chinamigarden
08-08-2006, 08:55 AM
I knew a logger once who tried Spotted Owl. he said it tasted like Manatee.