PDA

View Full Version : Barometric Pressure & Movement Patterns

Ansel
10-12-2005, 08:09 AM
How much does barometric pressure play into whitetail movement? Iíve heard that it does but I know little about it. Do you have any insight, first hand knowledge, do you pay any attention to it? Just curious if you have information on this subject. Thanks!

buck37
10-12-2005, 08:27 AM
No scientific proof, but I had always heard that when the pressure was moving, the deer should be moving.

rzdrmh
10-12-2005, 08:47 AM
charles alsheimer states that feeding most often occurs with a barometric pressure of 29.80 and 30.29. best hunting time is when pressure is rising or falling through this range. of course, other factors - temperature, wind, etc. must be considered as well.

hunting man
10-12-2005, 10:16 AM
I like to watch it all the time. I hunt when it is on the rise from 29.80. I have gotten plenty of my best bucks then. The deer dont seem to move as much when it is dropping. I have one in my hunting coop at the deer camp. I take a note when I see deer moving. It has proven to help me get bucks year after year. I now have a couple others that watch it too.

Ansel
10-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Interesting, since I know little on reading the barometric pressure what is the best way to monitor it? If I remember right my parents had one in their house when I was growing up. Should these things be hung outside? What do you use to check the barometric pressure?

Randy Kidd
10-12-2005, 01:44 PM
When I hear that there is a storm of either rain or snow headed our way, I try and be either hunting or fishing when the barometer starts to drop...I don't know what range it is, but I do know when we are in a high pressure pattern and the barometer starts inching down, seems like all the fish and animals go on a feeding frenzy..the when the pressure gets to a certain point everything shuts down and quits moving..I have not noticed it as much when the pressure starts rising after the storm..Could be because I am home either tagged out or limited out from when it moved in ;) :lol:

john eberhart
10-12-2005, 03:24 PM
What difference does it make? Are you not going to go hunting because someone says that the barometer affects movement. When it is time to hunt, it is time to hunt. Pay closer attention to the rut phases because that is when mature bucks start moving during daylight hours.

Deer biologists have their place for general studies, but you sure can not bank on enclosure whitetails, which is what they study, to react as wild pressured whitetails do. Trust me when I say, the deer they study do not act the same way as hunted deer.

Ansel
10-12-2005, 04:30 PM
John, Just seeing if there is a correlation between the two. I will be watching the rut phases more than anything. Just curious what makes deer feed one night two hours before dark and some other night not a hair. Thanks for the input.

rzdrmh
10-12-2005, 06:17 PM
What difference does it make? Are you not going to go hunting because someone says that the barometer affects movement. When it is time to hunt, it is time to hunt. Pay closer attention to the rut phases because that is when mature bucks start moving during daylight hours.

Deer biologists have their place for general studies, but you sure can not bank on enclosure whitetails, which is what they study, to react as wild pressured whitetails do. Trust me when I say, the deer they study do not act the same way as hunted deer.

very good point, john, but sometimes, this type of information is helpful to those who get to spend fewer days in the field than they would like. i can only manage 1-2 weekday hunts, along with weekend hunts. i spend a good deal of time looking at weather to determine which of those 2 days to spend vacation time on. as you say, once the pre-rut chasing starts, all bets are off. the effects might be minimal, but when time is limited, anything to maximize opportunities.

someday, maybe someday (ie: retirement) i'll hunt every day i want! :lol:

john eberhart
10-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Good point on the limited hunting time, I am in the same boat. I guess I was a little quick to react. I do go out of my way to hunt just prior to a storm and just after, and I am referring to a hard storm. My absolute favorite time to hunt is during a light rain or drizzle, during the pre rut (Halloween through Nov. 7th). I see fewer does during rainy conditions, but my mature buck sightings go up dramatically. Back in 1997 I took a 14 point that I had hunted for 4 years and only sighted 3 times, all 3 during periods of precipitation. I took him at noon during the pre rut just after a snow squal dropped 3 inches of snow. And last year (I cheated and went out of state during our gun season) I took a big 10 point after sitting for 3 straight days from an hour and a half before daylight until dark in the rain.

I personally never look at the barometer or pay any attention to moon phases. I do however watch the weather for periods of precipitation and how light or heavy it will be, and hunt accordingly.

Sorry I was a little short with my first response.

Whit1
10-13-2005, 05:42 AM
Interesting, since I know little on reading the barometric pressure what is the best way to monitor it? If I remember right my parents had one in their house when I was growing up. Should these things be hung outside? What do you use to check the barometric pressure?

You can get a decent digital barometer and hang it inside. The pressure between inside and outside is the same, unless the building is completely sealed tight and then you'd have a vacuum. No, it doesn't happen in buldings.

I suggest a digital barometer rather than a dial one because they are easier to read for the neophyte meteorologist.

As for deer movement and pressure I've found deer to be less active when the pressure is very high (fish are the same). By high I mean something like 30.80+

The approach of a storm system, which requires lowering pressure, will cause fish and game to move. They can sense the approaching storm and fall of the barometer and seem to want to feed up before the foul weather hits.